Oldest Dive shop in Orange County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lyles on PCH in New Port Beach, Ca.. He ran it with his son.
I did not go in there to many times because you had to fight with all the rafts and inflatables.

Bill
dead dog

Dead Dog,
A very good answer for the first dive shop in OC.(It had previously been researched and suggested by Lopez-Keep you eye on Lopez! he will be a power in the diving world.)

The shop's name was "Lyle Hoskins and son." Lyle passed the business on to his son Doug who ran it for many years until his son bought the farm at Catalina while diving solo from Doug's boat. From that time on Doug could not be around diving or divers, so he closed the business and retired to the SoCal mountains. Last contact with the family they still owned to property on PCH and were living very comfortable on the lease income.

Your comment about all the other items requires explanation-"Lyle Hoskins and son" was established as a ship's chandlery - a shop that marketed items for boats and ships. When Rene reorganized and changed the name of his company to US Divers he established distributorships. Lyle obtained the distributorship for US Divers in OC-therefore any and all products sold with in OC was "distributed" by Lyle & Co even though US Divers was just up the street, all shops had to pay homage in the form of $$$ to "Hoskins."

US Divers had three prices: Distributor. Dealer and Retail. Hoskins purchased at distributor and generally sold at dealer price- the same price the OC dive shops had to purchased the US Diver products. Therefore the local shops featured Voit (a local from Newport) Later Dacor (see Sea Sabres Signaling system - Legends of diving) Bob was the first to Import" Dacor to California, and finally in 1963 SCUBA Pro. (while at it check out my article about OC history "OC did you know")

By the time Doug closed the doors on Lyle Hoskins and son the damage was done an only the upstart newer shops would carry US Divers. All this happened a longtime ago and those witness to it are dwindling in numbers, but it should be passed on to people like Lopez.

Stay tuned for more about the first OC dive shop...

It is almost 6:00 AM and I am off to the sand for a run -walk

SDM

In search of the first dive shop in OC I reviewed the Beach Cities E advertisements
which indicated they had been established in the mid 1960s.

I responded stating that a number of the OC dive shops, especially some he currently owned, had been around a long time, certainly before the mid 1960s. I suggested as an effective marketing tool they might want to capitalized that they had been around since the beginning of recreational diving in OC and state the actual dates the shops were established..

This was the reply from the current owner Hosam Elshenawi

Subject: Beach Cities Scuba

Beach Cities Scuba owns both of the Aquatic Center in Newport Beach and Laguna Seasports in Laguna Beach which to my knowledge have not gone out of business since they started. Will that clarify that claim? Please check your records and let me know. That is of course assuming that you are keeping records. Regards,

Hosam Elshenawi
Beach Cities Scuba Centers
Tel: 949-443-3858
Fax: 949-496-5350
Beach Cities Scuba Centers ? Your premier Orange County Scuba Diving experience
Riviera Yacht Charters
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr.Elshenawi,

.....You stated:
"Beach Cities Scuba owns both of the Aquatic Center in Newport Beach and Laguna Seasports in Laguna Beach which to my knowledge have not gone out of business since they started."

FYI:
The shops did not start in the present buildings and were established many years previous by individuals other than the late Al Santmeyer & his wife Sally Santmeyer and Omar Woods,Ron Merker and the later Dick Spencer.

You might want to refer to Scuba Diving and Recreation Center in Northwest Ohio - Portage Quarry "legends of diving" and my article "Sea Sabre signaling system." In that article you will be introduced to the late Mr Bob Rutherford, who along with my ex room mate Mr.Joe McCabe, who went to the big reef in the sky on June 4,1960 when we were recovering a huge anchor in 200 + feet at Catalina island, which now rests in front of the Maritime museum in San Pedro. They were the founders of the Aquatic Center in a different time and place many years before 1963 as stated in your advertisements.

You also stated;

" Please check your records and let me know. That is of course assuming that you are keeping records...."

My reply:You maybe assured I know diving history especially that of Orange County - I made many free dives in OC prior to the advent of the bubble machine and made my first SCUBA dive there on memorial day 1951...FY I am forwarding one of my articles that appeared in my dedicated column "Dive Bubbles" in the local news paper about 15 years ago; a story about Divers Cove and the changes that time has wrought

"YOU CAN'T GO HOME AGAIN…

Several summers ago I visited with some relatives and old friends to reconnect with my roots down in southern California, in “smogsville,” as the smog shrouded area of Los Angeles and Orange County is known by most Californians who reside in other areas of the state.

This visit certainly verified the message in the Thomas Wolfe book “You can't go home again” which I found so difficult to comprehend as a young college student. Yes, Thomas Wolfe was correct! Indeed - You can't go home again.

I spent a very early Saturday morning at Diver’s Cove in Laguna Beach, the fountainhead of American sport diving. It has been a popular diving location since recreational diving began along the California coast in the early 1930s. “The cove” as local divers refer to it, was catapulted from obscurity into international diving fame when it was chosen as the location for the world’s first competitive spear fishing meet in June 1950. The Compton, California “Dolphins Spear Fishing club”, won the meet with a three man team consisting of Ken Kummerfeild, Pat O’Malley and Paul Hoss (of the Bottom Scratcher/Hoss gun fame)

The cove was immortalized for divers through out the world on the cover of the December 1951, issue of Skin Diver Magazine Volume 1, number 1 with a picture of Dr. Nelson "Matty" Mathenson of the Long Beach Nepunes proudly displaying a presentable White Sea Bass he had just speared at the at "the Cove."

Surprisingly Diver's Cove did not receive it's name from recreational diving but from the local youth's habit of diving into the shallow blow hole from the rocks below where the apartments now stand. The apartments were constructed in 1960 which physically separated the cove and Fishermen cove to the north. Prior to the construction and into the 1970s Fisherman's cove was the docking and storage cove for a number of small local recreational sport fishing boats

Lots of other changes have occurred in and around Divers Cove with the passage of sixty years.

In the 1950s the rolling hills surrounding Diver’s Cove were devoid of housing and covered with dry chaparral, which emitted the classic California golden glow always associated with the “Golden state.” Now when viewed from the cove the hills appear almost surrealistic emerald green, blanketed by modern multi- million dollar homes on well-manicured lawns interconnected labyrinth of roads.

It is no longer possible to drive up to the edge of the cliff at Diver’s Cove and park haphazardly. Parking places are now regulated. They are neatly identified with white stripes on the concrete and crowned with a row of coin eating parking meters; silent sentinels waiting for the next quarter for fifteen minutes of violation free parking.

Also absent is the steel cable that provided beach goers and divers to access to the beach. It was a much-appreciated gift from some unknown beach lover who spent their time; money and effort to securely bury one end of the cable in cement and dangle the rest of the cable over the cliff to create a Tarzan style hand over hand beach access. Now modern stairs complete with handrails and a drinking fountain welcomes the divers to the beach

The beach scene I remember so well from my youth is now only a distant memory, but they are memories of gold as were the hills surrounding the cove.

In the genesis of recreational diving the beach was populated with young athletic sun tanned male youths clad in the diving costume of the era, baggy long underwear, tucked in to equally baggy swim trunks, round diving masks on their faces, short green fins on their feet and the weapon of choice a “Jab Stick” (a pole spear powered by the trust of the arm) unceremoniously stuck in the ground.

Like ancient tribes returning from a successful hunt they stood in small groups, wrapped in surplus WWII olive drab army or navy blue blankets, shivering and blue lipped from the cold of the water and the chill in the air. Roaring bonfires fed by WWII surplus tires added much needed warmth as it belched fourth thick heavy black smoke into the clean crisp smog free Orange County air.

Now Divers Cove has become a popular diving destination for dive training classes. It is populated every Saturday and Sunday morning by young fuzzy faced certified diving instructors who have arrived before 7:00 to conduct ocean check out dives for their classes of aspiring divers. Under the ever-watchful eye of their SCUBA instructor, young and old, male and female don the costume of modern diving. Bright colored wet suits have replaced the long underwear for thermal protection; clear form fitting twin lens masks of clear silicone replaced the black round rubber masks; multi hued long lightweight split plastic fins now adorn their feet replacing the short green Churchill fins. Not a spear fishing weapon is insight, since this area has been a game reserve for over a generation.

Yes, there have been a lot of changes in the last sixty plus years. Tomas Wolfe’s message has been verified. You can't go home again, but you can relive fond memories from the distant past and dream and hope for the future of recreational diving.

Only the sea, the eternal sea, has relentlessly remained the same"
(Copyright Dr Samuel Miller,111 & TPR newspaper- may not be reproduced in any way)

You may also be assured I keep records:

The listing that follows is from my personal collection which is recognized by the world's serious diving bibliophiles as the most complete and largest private diving library in the world. Perhaps it will provide some insight as to what is-or was available

PERSONAL LIBRARY
I have a complete bound set of "Skin Diver" magazine (1951 to it's demise) including every diving equipment catalog published and all Underwater Film Festival programs. This is the only set of its kind in existence any where in the world.

I also have a extensive collection of Skin diver magazine covers inscribed to me by Art Pender, (1954) Ron Merker (1955) Bev Morgan (1961) Jack Prodanovich (1953)Wally Potts (1957) movie stars Lloyd Bridges and Tony Francioso, Singer ,John Gary and others too numerous to list

All of Artist John Steel SDM covers have been inscribed to me (I also own several of his pictures one was featured two times in the 2001 anniversary issue of SDM)

I also have complete bound sets of “Dive”, “NDA News”, American Scuba Diver”, Aquarius”, "Water World", "Underwater", "Fathom", "Sport Diving”, "Underwater Photographer",” California Diver,” (the original) "California Diver" (most recent) “ Pacific Diver”, “SCUBA PRO Diving and Snorkeling”, “Diving and Snorkeling Quarterly” “Ocean Realm”, all of which are no longer published. Maintain and bind current sets of “Dive Training”, “Sport Diver”, Historical Diver” (USA), “Historical Diving Times” (UK), and “HDS Notizie” (Italy).

Have the only known complete set of “Pacific Underwater News” as well as “Pacific and Atlantic Underwater News”, published from 1966 to 1971. It was the first newspaper devoted entirely to the underwater world which was published in OC. Appeared in numerous issues of this publication.

I also have what is considered the largest and most complete set of civilian dive training manuals beginning with the Spaco manual of 1949 to about 1980.

I also have all the USN diving manuals beginning with the original 1905 "Manual for Divers" to the conversion to electronic format

I have published approximately two hundred articles on sport diving in the NAUI News, Los Angeles County Underwater News, Skin Diver, Dive, Discover Diving, Aqua Corps, Historical Diver, Arizona Diving News, Southwest Diver Magazines, Historical Diving Times (UK), Free Diving and Spear Fishing News (Australia) & Hawaiian Skin Diver.

From June 1999 to August 2002 I wrote a twice-monthly column “Dive Bubbles” for the five cities Times Press Recorder newspaper. It is reported that this column was the first and only regularly scheduled diving newspaper column in California and possibly the United States

I published articles for Skin Diver Magazine, appeared on the front cover and was selected, featured and certainly honored as the first guest editor of Skin Diver magazine. The only person in the history of the magazine so honored in three ways

I was featured Pro Diving and Snorkeling magazine as a Celebrity Seafood Chef Scuba

I have collected and maintain an extensive 2000 plus volume diving library, the majority of which are rare out of print books. Many have been personally inscribed by the authors who were also friends and diving companions,in addition to being noted diving authorities; J.M. Cousteau, Dr. Bruce Halstead, F.M. Roberts, Bill Royal, John Reseck Jr., Dr. James Dugan, Clint Degn, John D. Craig, Dick Schroeder, two (2) Eugenie Clark, two (2) by Bill Barada & Lloyd Bridges, two (2) by Dr. Terry Mass, two (2) by Francis "Doug" Fane and (6) six by Sir Arthur C.Clarke, six (six) by Dr. Hans Hass, six (6) by Lotte Hass,) seven (7) by J.Y. Cousteau and (9) by Clive Cussler

I also maintain a number of extensive active historic files.

I have a bound edition of James Dugan's 1948 "First of the menfish" which introduced J.Y. Cousteau and self contained diving to the US

In May 1996 I organized and hosted the very first US diving bibliophile meeting. It was attended by diving bibliophiles from the western US and via telephone from throughout the US.

Upon my demise the entire collection with be inherited by my son Dr. Sam IV, who is a NAUI (life) PADI instructor, Pro 5000 and an ER & Hyperbaric doctor.

sdm111"

So yes, I do know diving history and I do keep records and mid 1960s is totally incorrect by many years...

Dr. Samuel Miller,111"

As expected no response from Mr.Hosam Elshenawi. However, in all fairness to him he has deleted most references to dates except for Laguna Sea Sports, He continues to state this shop was established in the 1963, which is totally incorrect. It was established at least a decade earlier..

History certainly clouded and is being lost at a rapid rate. SoCal divers are fortunate to have antique divers such as Dead Dog, SCUBA Tom, and Mark Guccione and up and coming divers such as Lopez 116.

It is already 8:00 time for my run at the beach.

SDM

... I suggested as an effective marketing tool they might want to capitalized that they had been around since the beginning of recreational diving in OC and state the actual dates the shops were established...
SDM

IMO, I could not care less about the "age of the store". All comes down to the quality of instruction and age of store does not equal quality instructor. Certainly "age of the store" does not even guarantee quality or selection of goods to choose from.

Since you are suggesting to "others" how they should run their business, let me suggest to you that your "tone" does not inspire any interest for me to seek out your services as an instructor.

Best instructor I know is not associated with any store and the best store/customer service I have worked with in recent history is in IL.

History certainly clouded and is being lost at a rapid rate. SoCal divers are fortunate to have antique divers such as Dead Dog, SCUBA Tom, and Mark Guccione and up and coming divers such as Lopez 116.
Thanks Sam, but I'm not ready to be called an Antique Diver yet..... I'm still a pup. :shakehead:
I need to tell you, I really enjoyed the lengthy conversations we used to have at Diver Jays and of course GSH. I can't believe how fast time flies by. Take care Sam, I hope to see you soon!

Last edited:
Hey, Gucci boy, you ARE an antique... be proud!

Although the issue of the oldest dive shop in O.C. isn't of high interest to me personally, I think it is good to have dive history researched and verified. It always amazes me when I talk to OW students and find out that they havren't a clue as to who Jacques Yves Cousteau was! Not that he is the be all and end all of SCUBA history, but certainly an important part of the overall history.

I was a late comer to dive training and certification from Carter Breusing at Laguna SS in 1972. I knew the shop had been there "forever" in 72. I seem to remember sunnier days and much better vis before developers and east coast transplants ruined my boyhood stamping grounds.

I have been away from the SCUBA Board for a while, consulting on a diving related problem. I return to note that I have comments by three moss back divers and one late model tube sucking bubble blower, all appreciated.

Mark, old friend, I consider Vintage a better term than Old...We have been connected by the underwater world and have been friends for 25 or more years. According to genealogist 25 years is a generation; according to Skin Diver Magazine (SDM) last SDM diver survey conducted prior to it's demise the longevity of the average diver was around 2.9 years. After 2.9 years their equipment is antiquated, their wet suit requires replacement and they have fulfilled a page on their bucket list, so it is time to dispose of the remains of their dive costume venture to a new field and rake havoc on another sport. So in the diving world you are considered either old or vintage...take your choice.

I agree with the esteemed diving biologist that most do not recognize the name Cousteau and the many contributions he and his family is still making to the underwater world; the comments by 1.3 are probably typical you encounter at the dive park. But in all fairness most do not recognize the contributions of the late Dr.Hans Hass who did every thing Cousteau did ten years previous with out the backing and fan fair of being the world's first celebrity diver.

George, Welcome back into the tribe. Laguna Sea Sports had many many owners prior to Al and Sally Santmeyer (S) acquiring it. In the early 1950s, prior to the popularity of SCUBA it was owned by succession of owners, from San Diego to Los Angeles. It was owned and operated by Ed Lehr for about five years. Ed recognized the Battle of Laguna beach was brewing, and wanted a more stable income so he sold it to Al & Sally. They had some international diving interest so they hired Carter right out of college to instruct and manage the operation, which he did for a number of years prior to marriage and family life.

SDM

True on Hans Hass with respect to documenting the underwater world. Some people just seem to have better publicists and marketing.

The media is pretty fickle. It's hard to see how with his stunning wife as a model he got less publicity than Cousteau.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom