Older Tusa regulator an octo.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeeptraxx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all...
I'm a newbie and trying to equip myself on a budget , I have been offered this regulator , octopus and console . Does anybody have any idea of the age of this setup ? if it is to old and hard to get parts for I would rather refuse it and wait for a deal to come along. The owner has no info on it exept that is a Tusa Liberator. Any help would be appreciated
Tusaconsole_zps64734591.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Tusaocto_zps45c5b21c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG].
Tusaocto2_zps23c9a876.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Offered as in Free?

It's an old model with a US Divers Octo. They've been out of business for a while as a separate brand. IIRC at least 15 years. I think that's a Conshelf Octo but I'm not sure - you can look them up and get an idea of the vintage.

So right away you've got to find someone qualified to work on both brands. You're probably looking at upwards of $100 for service for both - which should be done as something that old may have issues with rubber components, even need hoses replaced. (they're not cheap either)

That console is really old also - my guess since there's both what looks to be a basic computer and a pressure gauge is that it's a non air-integrated model. So it's in effect a backup to the gauges next to it.

Many of those old computers don't have user-changeable batteries so you'd probably be looking at more than it's worth to change it.

To give you some reference - this is what a new Tusa console looks like now:
009372_big.jpg

If he's giving it to you for free, I'd take it. It looks like you might be able pop the compass out and possibly find a wrist mount for it. Offer the rest here for $50 - somebody might want to fool around with it. It's not really vintage though so the appeal is to a very small market.

Otherwise I'd pass...

Given that you can buy a functional new regulator for well under $200 I think you'd be throwing a lot of money at something to wind up with a marginal performer that will continue to cost you more money in service fees than it's worth. Assuming it all works now of course.

That old Octo properly serviced will also work with a new reg. So that's one way to save if you can get that done inexpensively.

Last edited:
I can't understand Diversteve's reasoning.........,.
US Divers is still in business they just call themselves AquaLung now and is one of, if not the, largest scuba manufacturer in the world.

That's one of the best regulators ever made.

It's a US Divers Conshelf 21 or SE2.
Balanced diaphragm 1st stage.
Standard US Divers 2nd stages.....nothing mix and match.
Performance wise it'll be better than the current Calypso and about the same as the Titan.
It is the most reliable regulator ever made.

One of the easiest regs to repair or learn to repair yourself.
The TUSA gauges are fine and probably have knife on the back.
The bottom timer won't work, dead battery, and no easy way to put a new one in.

What you have is the perfect beginners set.
Spend $100 on getting it serviced and it'll last another 25 years....but go to a shop that deals in AquaLung.
The parts kits needed for service are still available and the same as used in the current AquaLung lineup.

Last edited:
That changes things, I assumed it was a Tusa 1st stage since that's what was posted.
Older Tusa regulator
Didn't actually look at the 1st stage that closely either. I did mean to mention that US Divers is now part of Aqualung but forgot to include it.

Of course your assumptions are based on whether it's serviceable, all the hoses/fittings are good etc. What's a standard length hose sell for now - $30?

And if the new diver can/wants to service it. Or has an Aqualung dealer nearby. We often assume they're in the U.S. but that's not always the case. If you're going to pay $100 for service why not apply that towards a new reg instead? Many of which won't cost $100 to service next year. If he has to buy hoses, he's money ahead passing on this deal.

I didn't realize that was a bottom timer. Having the knife on the back is a mixed blessing if you try to carry your regs on a plane and forget it's there. The TSA likely won't. I think you could do better size-wise with a smaller 2 gauge console also.

Of course if the OP is getting it free or really cheap, that changes the equation.

Where would you draw the line? I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it in any condition.

Best is relative also. I have one of those - made by Atomic.

I'd concede it's best for the money in older gear though...

Since I'm willing to concede that you know much more about it than I do how about putting a date on it for the OP? Or at least a date range. I haven't seen a new Conshelf in a lot of years.

Last edited:
Still got a bit of a bee in my bonnet.....

Why do you think a new reg will cost less to annual service?
The Conshelf is the poster child for a reg that doesn't need a service every year.
Why would it be better to spend $100 to service a new reg?

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it either.....Conshelfs like that can be picked up on eBay for about $80 any day of the week, there are probably more Conshelfs out there than any other regulator.

Best?
For me the "best" has to be:
Innovative
Set new industry standards
Imitated
Reliable
Long manufacture history
Serviceable

For single hose regs there's not many.

US Divers Conshelf
Scubapro MK5
Scubapro 109/156
Mares MRII/III
Apeks Enviro seal.

My last comments on this:

You subjectively state "The Conshelf is the poster child for a reg that doesn't need a service every year." And you're likely correct. But 15 years ago US Divers would have required it to maintain your warranty. So for purposes of comparison to be fair we need to include an annual service cost.

Since we don't know the OP's situation (although he's a brand new diver from Montreal according to his intro post) so we can't assume he can/wants to service it himself. Or maybe he wants it serviced annually. Since that's what US Divers would have required ded a decade ago. Can you even put an Enviro kit on a Conshelf if needed?

I'm all for older gear. I have access to a 1984 Poseiden JetStream that I still think smokes just about anything else I've ever tried. For you the Conshelf and older gear probably make perfect sense and are best. I bought what was best for ME - an Atomic T2. I also have zero interest in servicing my gear - and frankly would always wonder if I did it right on the T2 - from what I've read they're a little more complex.

So assume that he can get the Conshelf for $80. You've stated the service costs at $100. Is that yearly? - IDK what an Aqualung dealer charges to service older, out of warranty gear.

So the fixed costs for two years going used are $80 + $100 initially + $100 for the 2nd year. Let's even say that the 2nd year is only $50. So the cost of owning that Conshelf for 2 years is between $230-280.

I can only compare current models against your "best" list since none of them afaik are current models. So here's a slightly subjective comparison:

Scubatoys sells the MK11/C200 for $289. It has a 2 year factory service interval. So for between $9-50 more, the OP can get a new reg. Scubatoys is also an SP dealer so their dealers can service it under warranty (1 year) if needed or forever under any SP programs it qualifies under. Also it has: "Anti-Freeze protection & Dry chamber"

You posted that: "Performance wise it'll be better than the current Calypso and about the same as the Titan." I can accept that. So here's a performance chart comparing them to a Mk11/C300 - not the 200 - IDK the differences. http://ads.bonniercorp.com/scuba/PDF/BreathingSimulatorChart_Regs_ForChris.pdf - granted it's a ScubaDiving review but the lab info at the bottom seems to indicate objectivity in the numbers.

So if we look at that - the Calypso does worse than the MK11, the Titan does equal - that puts the Conshelf somewhere below the two better models - the MK11 has exactly the same numbers as the Titan. The Calypso also retails for $300, the Titan $350.

So for the same money the OP gets a new reg, new hoses, and a 1 year mfr's. warranty. It also has better numbers than the Conshelf. How is that not a better deal?

In all fairness I should point out that including the Octo/console/compass in his deal may sway it the other way since new he's looking at $200-250 more to duplicate that. However they would be smaller, more streamlined and new also. I don't see the value in carrying a larger console with a defective bottom timer.

Let's try to keep this discussion somewhat germane to the OP's question. Otherwise we can continue via PM if you'd like. This will be my last long post here.

Just to bring it back to the OP's point of view.

The reg is free to him.
It has Octo and gauges.
It performs the same as current regs.
I will cost about $100 to service initially and another $100 every 3-4 years.
Service kit availability is not an issue.
The console is the same size any other 3 gauge console and more compact than many.
The digital timer and its boot can be completely removed from the console.
Can be fitted with current AquaLung enviro kit if needed.

or

Spend $600 and get a new reg with new hoses and 1 year warranty.

The reg is free to him.
I have been offered this regulator , octopus and console
I offered a regulator recently. I got $600 for it.:wink:

I don't buy other peoples used stuff either though obviously he might.

It's cool, I'm out - enjoyed this..

Last edited:
To the OP, I would estimate the age of the items to late 80's early 90s. I learned to dive in 91 or 92 and remember that style of equipment. It looks like it is in excellent shape for the age.

To Steve, service intervals are subjective. Atomic went to a two year interval not because they are "the best" but because it was not needed with modern materials. Scubapro and Aqualung went from a one year to a two year service interval to compete with Atomic and others. Nothing in their service kits magically changed. BTW, TUSA is still in business also.

You are right that this is a risky purchase for a newbie to make from someone that knows little about the equipment. The OP needs to add around $150 for the service to whatever the price is and then compare it to a new set. However he would be hard pressed to find a new setup for under $450 or so.

Conshelf's good stuff. Aqualung still offers parts for this reg, and Tusa is still around. IIRC, when I dug my '86 vintage US Divers reg out of storage, I paid about $125 after parts and labor (1st and two 2nd stages). It'd be a good reg to get started with, although that cluster is pretty big with the compass/computer. Don't pay too much for it, as they're all over ebay. Hopefully it's free to you. If it is cheap, the purchase makes financial sense. :D

I own a mk11/C200; I upgraded from my old US Divers Sport reg. It's a good reg and I'd recommend it, but don't forget that if you buy new you'll also have to get an inflator hose and gauge cluster/computer/HP hose. Don't dissuaded from buying used if you know the owner and know that it's been taken care of. I agree with Fishpie..this setup would be great to get started with if the price is right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom