Question Older steel 72 Pitt Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a vintage book, they explain things well. Many to pick from.

VIP.jpg

All VIP inspectors are responsible for knowing the current regulations. The most current info is online.

.020" for wall depth pitting
A bit deeper than the thickness of a business card.

I can give you some information based on personal experience, but I’m not really a “pro” in the sense that I don’t do tank stuff for a living, only for myself.

Anyway, I have been given dozens of steel 72’s over the years and I have never had one fail hydro.
This surprises me because a few were really pitted badly, some under the boot, and some on the inside.
Some tanks I buy but most were given to me.
I joke that I run a steel 72 rescue center.
One tank I got was from 1959, it was a freebie, and it was originally painted with just oil based alkyd enamel over steel with no primer. It was so pitted under the boot that the pits looked to be 1/16” deep or deeper. The inside was pristine. So I sand blasted it, primed it, and painted it. It passed hydro no problem!?! Baffling.
I had another one that had a pretty deep pit inside that I was always paranoid about, but it continued to pass hydro. One year I inspected it and there was a little more rust forming in the pit, so I decided to condemn it instead of wire-wheeling out the rust from the pit and sending it to hydro again. It had a few years left on the previous hydro so I thought it was time to make a bell out of it. When I cut the bottom off I was stunned to see that the pit which looked like a crater from above with a light was only a small little thing not even 1/64” deep but it was kinda wide making it look a lot worse than it actually was. I was bummed knowing I just murdered a perfectly good 72 that probably had many years of life left in it.
So from that moment on I decided to clean up any 72 that came in (as long as it wasn’t epoxy lined) and send them to hydro, because you never know.
If they don’t pass hydro I don’t think they charge you, so you have nothing to lose. Even if they do charge for a failed tank, I would still take a gamble on it. Even if one out of 25 or 50 fail you’re still way ahead. Go buy a new tank and see what those cost, if you can find one.
Steel 72’s are just too precious to condemn if there is no reason to.
Pitting and hydro are two different criteria for evaluating a tank's condition. Tanks that can be condemned for pitting can pass hydro (a test of the metal's elasticity) and vice versa. A hydro tester checks for pitting before/after hydro.

Fwiw i pass many ancient 72s but the ones that seem to fail are the "barn finds" that have been sitting with little to no pressure for years. Purely anecdotal and many "barn finds" pass hydro and go on to become productive members of the diving community.

I am no metalurgist but i would be interested to know what happens to the metal in tanks that are neglected for too long.

Pitting and hydro are two different criteria for evaluating a tank's condition. Tanks that can be condemned for pitting can pass hydro (a test of the metal's elasticity) and vice versa. A hydro tester checks for pitting before/after hydro.

Fwiw i pass many ancient 72s but the ones that seem to fail are the "barn finds" that have been sitting with little to no pressure for years. Purely anecdotal and many "barn finds" pass hydro and go on to become productive members of the diving community.

I am no metalurgist but i would be interested to know what happens to the metal in tanks that are neglected for too long.
My criteria is that if a pitted tank passes the pressures of hydro without coming apart then it will be safe to handle a regular fill.
All my pitting cleanup and repair happens before hydro, not after.
If the pitting is so bad that the hydro facility refuses to hydro it then it gets condemned.

My criteria is that if a pitted tank passes the pressures of hydro without coming apart then it will be safe to handle a regular fill.
All my pitting cleanup and repair happens before hydro, not after.
If the pitting is so bad that the hydro facility refuses to hydro it then it gets condemned.
That's a fair assessment.

Like you said, the OP should turn the tanks over to a hydro shop that is pass or don't pay (most of them). I bet the majority will pass.

Know that a hydro facility can and will CONDEMN a failing tank/cylinder and permanently take it out of service.

A VIP inspector can only REJECT a tank/cylinder. It is destruction of personal property if they are so full of themselves that they choose to kill your tank on a failed VIP.

I would add, have you tumbled and/or cleaned prior to examining these pits?

I have had tanks that looked ok, with pits, then cleaned and the pits were wtf? Non intrusive, phosphoric cleaning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom