Older cam-strap question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50Fathom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just picked up an NIB Stealth Eclipse, and when I got it, the guy showed me how it has "handed" cam-straps. One closes left to right, and one right-to-left. Said the idea was that the weight of the SS buckle would be balanced from side-to-side.

Makes sense, I guess. Just wondering if that's true, or there was another reason why the BC has LH and RH buckles, and if y'all moved away from them for logistical streamlining, (no need to stock two different straps in the supply chain.)

Crappy phone pic:

LH-RHStraps.jpg

or maybe somebody made a error on sewing the Halcyon patch upside down :rofl3:, but an interesting thought about balancing of the system.

I do that with my Scubapro straps just to make it less likely that one snag could open both of them.

I have a pair of those exact straps, but both of mine are the same polarity.

BTW, it looks to me like the Octogrip pads might be in the wrong location on the straps. I didn't fully understand how to place those pads until I got a set of Dive Rite cam straps with the pads sewn in place, and now all is clear. The pads should be placed as if they are sewn into the webbing loop where the metal bale is, works really well there.

Interesting idea.....btw, your Octo pads are in the wrong place, like tech3324 said.
They should be under the "D-ring" that the clamp's pivot point attaches to. ie. camband strings through the octo grip, then STA, then back into the cam buckle.

When it's all said and done, your pad will be pinched under your clamp against the tank, w/ the octo graphic lying on the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom