Old vs New Computer - OCEANIC OC1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ODD Diver 13

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been "gifted" an air integrated Oceanic OC1 (yes an OC-1, not and OCi) dive computer. I say "gifted" because it is a family member who does not dive anymore and does not use it. I was told "use it as if it were your own". The computer is in perfect working order, the wireless transmitter, all functions, it's amazing. I've loved it since I put it on.

Here is where the problems come in:
-I do not have the rubber strap extension piece to expand the wrist strap. It is very difficult to strap over a 7mm wetsuit over the wrist of my glove or high enough up my arm where the glove stops. I've looked online for replacement straps, strap extensions, etc. I'm not finding what I'm looking for.
-One of the screws holding the wrist strap to the computer is bent. I'm deathly afraid of losing this dive computer since it was "gifted" to me.
-I love this computer and I'm already semi familiar with it's functions and abilities - I really would hate to switch to another computer. While talking with the manufacturer, they said they do not make replacements any more and would recommend buying a new computer - they also suggested the OC1, since it is "older technology" would quit being serviced and quit being supported "soon".

Here are my questions:
#1 - does anyone know of another brand or model number wrist strap or extension that will fit this OC1 computer?

#2 - Am I better off buying my own dive computer, current manufactured technology? or since I like the OC1, should I buy my own used/new (whichever I can find) OC1?

#3 should I just keep using this computer since, per the manufacturer, it will quit being supported and IF I do ever lose it, it's no harm no foul and/or I buy a more current technology replacement to give back if this family member ever asks for it?

PLEASE COMMENT. ANY INSIGHT IS WELCOME!

Hi @ODD Diver 13

The OC1 is still serviced by Oceanic/Huish Service - Oceanic Worldwide. If it were to fail, they would repair or replace it for $260. I have used Oceanic and Huish service a few times over the years, all with good results.

I believe the OC1 came out in about 2009, not sure when it was discontinued. The OCi came out in around 2013. I am still diving a VT3. this model came out in 2006, I bought mine in 2010, it has 1570 dives/1651 hours on it, works perfectly. The OC1 manual is available on the Oceanic website Oceanic User Manuals - Huish Outdoors It's a perfectly capable computer. It runs dual algorithm (DSAT and PZ+), my VT3 runs just DSAT, I have no use for PZ+. It performs all functions you are likely to need. It uses the standard Pelagic Pressure Systems transmitter. You could use it with a Shearwater or other compatible computer if you lost the OC1 Are Pressure Transmitters compatible across brands? The transmitter alone goes for $350-400 new and has a good aftermarket, mainly due to Shearwater

I wish I could help you with the strap extension and bent screw. All the extension needs to do is to buckle into the existing strap. Have you already checked that the OCi, Geo 4 or some other brand of watch style computer might not work? Would a NATO watch strap work with the OC1, you could get one of sufficient length?

Of course, everyone would like to sell you a new computer. One of my family's Oceanic Pro Plus 2s from 2002 still works perfectly.

Good luck

Hi @ODD Diver 13

The OC1 is still serviced by Oceanic/Huish Service - Oceanic Worldwide. If it were to fail, they would repair or replace it for $260. I have used Oceanic and Huish service a few times over the years, all with good results.

I believe the OC1 came out in about 2009, not sure when it was discontinued. The OCi came out in around 2013. I am still diving a VT3. this model came out in 2006, I bought mine in 2010, it has 1570 dives/1651 hours on it, works perfectly. The OC1 manual is available on the Oceanic website Oceanic User Manuals - Huish Outdoors It's a perfectly capable computer. It runs dual algorithm (DSAT and PZ+), my VT3 runs just DSAT, I have no use for PZ+. It performs all functions you are likely to need. It uses the standard Pelagic Pressure Systems transmitter. You could use it with a Shearwater or other compatible computer if you lost the OC1 Are Pressure Transmitters compatible across brands? The transmitter alone goes for $350-400 new and has a good aftermarket, mainly due to Shearwater

I wish I could help you with the strap extension and bent screw. All the extension needs to do is to buckle into the existing strap. Have you already checked that the OCi, Geo 4 or some other brand of watch style computer might not work? Would a NATO watch strap work with the OC1, you could get one of sufficient length?

Of course, everyone would like to sell you a new computer. One of my family's Oceanic Pro Plus 2s from 2002 still works perfectly.

Good luck

I checked with oceanic about the OCi strap. They said it would not fit, the buckle is not compatible from the OCi to the OC1. I’ll have to check the other items you mentioned.

The OC1 is watch style, the above are pucks, I dive the VT3
I am thinking to wrap around it with eg. old wet suit fabric and squeeze it in.
DC strap is always difficult to replace with other brands!
Replace the strap with bungee?

Well, my previous question might not be an issue anymore. I went diving yesterday, used the OC1, no problem, had a great time. I went to log my dive on my PC this morning and after adjusting my dive alarms and other information on the PC and uploading to the dive computer, the screen went blank, the LED flashed red one time and it appears to have died. Not sure if this is a battery or if I did something to the dive computer?

Back
Top Bottom