Old US Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LynnB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I finally broke down and got new scuba gear.... What to do with the old? I have two sets of US Divers that is about 25 years old...Was great and all it needs is to be serviced....
Thought somebody here might know....
Thanks,,,

Post some pics and let us have a look.
What models are they etc.?
Why did you replace them, do you think they're no good anymore?
Depending on what models they are, internally absolutely nothing has changed on some of those regs for almost 40 years.

Gear that is only 25 years old is still kinda new.

Gear that is only 25 years old is still kinda new.

It really does not meet the scuba def "vintage", if it's not at least from the early 70s it just a little old and that time frame does not change. A 1985 reg will likely never be considered vintage, much like the Pinto or Vega will never be considered vintage cars.
With gear that new, rebuild it and dive it or ebay it for cash.

Lynn, I would probably keep the better of the two as a backup. Which models were they?

Have you packed yet?

The good news is that the reg is just about getting broken in right now.
The bad news is that my Vega is never going to be worth anything....

If it is like a Conshelf XIV regulator, the unit itself may not be vintage, but the design is vintage and it is a very desirable regulator.

If it is a newer Conshelf with a plastic second stage it is still very desirable even if it is truly vintage.

Pictures and description would help a lot.

As mentioned, you ought to at least keep one as a back up.

If it is like a Conshelf XIV regulator, the unit itself may not be vintage, but the design is vintage and it is a very desirable regulator.

Louis I have a Conshelf XIV First stage and a Calypso Second stage
Is there a difference between the second stage on the conshelf and the calypso?
I have also a US DIVERS ARCTIC regulator and I can't find much on it . Do you have a manual or any info on this regulator?
Dale in Digby N.S. Canada

Louis I have a Conshelf XIV First stage and a Calypso Second stage
Is there a difference between the second stage on the conshelf and the calypso?
I have also a US DIVERS ARCTIC regulator and I can't find much on it . Do you have a manual or any info on this regulator?
Dale in Digby N.S. Canada

The old metal USD second stages were kind of generic and were all the same. The only difference between them was the sticker on the purge button. However, the older ones from the '60s (with the dimpled covers) had a small exhaust valve. The newer ones (with the smooth covers) had the larger exhaust valves. Otherwise, they were all the same. They can be mixed and matched with no problems.

The old metal USD second stages were kind of generic and were all the same. The only difference between them was the sticker on the purge button. However, the older ones from the '60s (with the dimpled covers) had a small exhaust valve. The newer ones (with the smooth covers) had the larger exhaust valves. Otherwise, they were all the same. They can be mixed and matched with no problems.

Paladin,

There were a couple of the older, dimpled USD regulators (Calypso & Conshelf) which had larger exhaust valves. But they did not have the little chamber that allowed the exhaust to operate mostly in air in certain positions, and that is one of the keys to the "newer" smooth-cover all-metal USD second stages breathing so nicely.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom