Old time scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+ another 1 for @lowwall

I was first certified by LA County in 1970, I don't remember if they taught any depth limits. We used USN tables and were aware of deco. We were diving steel 72s with J-valves.

I was recertified in 1997 with my 12 year old son by PADI in Grand Cayman. It was suggested that we dive within our training limits. Our 4 OW dives were to a maximum depth of 60 feet. Nineteen of my next 74 dives were to >100 feet, all above 130 feet. Then I got my AOW and Deep Diver.

Besides Nitrox, the only cards I have ever been asked for are AOW and Solo. Many sport operators have a depth limit and most all prohibit deco.

At 130 feet, the NDL for air is only 11 min or less. On 28% it is only 15 min or less.

I did Padi OW in January 1986. Cannot remember there being any limit to 18m at the time.

1976, PADI OW. Seems like 132' rec limit was taught. Navy tables, but nothing about deco that I remember.

My first dive trip post-cert, 1976, was to Cayman Brac, with a day trip to Little Cayman. I don't remember any questions from the dive op (Winston McDermott's) about cert limits, except no deco and 100'.

... Was anyone been certified that long ago? Was deep diving training part of your certification? Is advance training for deep dives something that has come along in the past years or an I just misremembering? ...
My open water course was YMCA/NAUI, in 1986. We understood that the open water training limit was no-deco to a max of 130 fsw--although my course taught planning deeper deco dives using the U.S. Navy tables.

One of our textbooks was "The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving."

rx7diver

1993 - walked up to a dive shop on a beach and got certified on vacation in about 2.5 days. 130’ limit for the PADI RDP was taught. Never a mention of 60’ or 100’.

Much later I did my AOW (mid 2000’s) and we did our deep dive and the instructor said “now you can dive to 130’” and I was very confused because I had been diving to 130’ since forever. Now I understand they have 3 different depths for OW, AOW, and Deep.

If anything, I think it is a recognition by PADI that the way courses are taught now barely prepare you to stay alive within a reasonable CESA depth and that the vast majority of divers need these limits without more practice and training and awareness of the additional dangers. I was one of them when I started out and I am lucky I didn’t have a problem at 130’ with zero situational awareness and an instabuddy off looking at something a long way away from me.

I was certified by PADI in 1981. No limit per se except for 130 ft. Manual listed recommended recreational limit of 100 ft. and recommended 60 ft. for Novices.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 36
Much later I did my AOW (mid 2000’s) and we did our deep dive and the instructor said “now you can dive to 130’” and I was very confused because I had been diving to 130’ since forever. Now I understand they have 3 different depths for OW, AOW, and Deep.
Keep in mind that, outside of an instructional environment, the "3 different depths" are merely recommendations for a diver newly awarded the corresponding certifications. So it's a poor and confusing choice of words when an instructor tells you that you now "can" dive to whatever number of feet. The maximum recommended depth for recreational diving is 130 feet and has been for a long time. The maximum recommended depth for OW is 60 feet for a diver with a new OW cert, 100 feet for a diver with a new Deep cert, etc. (I'm not sure about AOW). It's recommended that the diver with the new cert start by adopting the corresponding recommended depth as his personally imposed limit, and then, if he wishes, increase his limit as he gains experience. I have no idea how it was in the "old days"; I got my OW cert in 1998.

This exact issue came up a year ago on another thread. I wrote a fairly long response which I'm going to copy here (with a little editing):

PADI is a member of the WRSTC [as is SDI, SSI, NAUI, RAID and a bunch of other agencies, but not CMAS or BSAC except BSAC Japan] and must follow its standards.

It's interesting that the WRSTC has almost scrubbed the 40m certification limit from their site. For example there is no overall depth limit given in the Open Water diver standard. The only limits shown apply to the pre-certification training dives.

The recreational depth limit can only be found in two places. The first is in the WRSTC regional member application form. This is the form for certifying agencies who wish to join their regional council, not individual divers. The form states that members must be in the recreational diver certification business, which they define as:

An association, firm, corporation or other entity shall be deemed to be engaged primarily in the recreational diver certification business if more than sixty percent (60%) of its gross revenues are attributable to: the training and certifying of divers using compressed (atmospheric) air for no-decompression diving up to 130 feet/40 meters, the processing of recreational diver certification cards, membership dues from diving instructors and/or stores, the sale of recreational diver training and recreational diver instructor training materials, and fees for the training of recreational diving instructors.

Note that this limit only applies to compressed air. Which brings us to the second place the limit appears. The standard for Enriched Air Nitrox Diver states "5.2.2 All dives prior to enriched air certification shall be conducted at depths between 15 and 130 feet (5 to 40 metres)."

In other words training dives for a Nitrox class may go down to 40m. What about after certification? Enriched Air Nitrox - WRSTC states "At its August 2006 meeting, the RSTC approved a standard for Enriched Air Nitrox diver. This standard is a recreational entry level nitrox diver standard for depths shallower than 130 feet/40 metres."

Note that AOW is not a prerequisite for Nitrox. It can't be because there is no WRSTC standard for Advanced Open Water. As far as the WRSTC is concerned, AOW is the same as any other specialty course from drysuit diving to zombie apocalypse diving.

The only prerequisites for a Nitrox Diver course is that the diver be at least 15 years old, be OW certified, and have four (4) open water dives. The 4 dives can include the dives made during OW certification. So according to this standard an instructor could bring an OW diver to 40m on his or her very first dive as a certified diver as part of a Nitrox course. And once certified, the standard specifically allows dives to 40m. Finally, the course doesn't actually require any dives at all. So a diver with 0 logged dives after OW certification can obtain Nitrox certification, which we have already seen allows depths up to 40m.

Ok, so you don't want to go with all the legal mumbo jumbo about standards? Try PADI's blog post How Deep Can You Scuba Dive?. Note that link is to the page on archive.org. The original was live on PADI's site a year ago, but PADI has since seen fit to scrub it. Perhaps too much truth can be bad for sales?

Many new divers are (understandably) confused about how deep you’re ‘allowed’ to dive as an Open Water Diver vs. an Advanced Open Water Diver. As a clever instructor once said, “at what depth will the scuba police pull you over?”

The maximum depth for recreational diving is 40 metres/130 feet .

There is, however, an important caveat: you should always dive within the limits of your training and experience. Open Water Divers* are trained to dive to a maximum depth of 18 metres/60 feet.

Can Open Water Divers dive deeper than 18 metres/60 feet? Frankly, yes. There are no scuba police out there to stop you (although some dive operations set depth limits and may have policies to deter divers from going beyond those limits)....

Why 40 metres/130 feet? There’s a bit of physics and physiology involved in a full explanation, but the short answer is: 40 metres/130 feet is the deepest you can dive without having to perform decompression stops on your way back to the surface. This depth limit is often referred to as the “no-decompression limit,” “NDL,” or “no-stop limit.” It’s also the depth at which most divers begin to feel the effects of gas narcosis (aka nitrogen narcosis)
. [emphasis in original]

Or from the PADI owned Scuba Diving Magazine -
Why is 130 Feet the Depth Limit for Recreational Scuba Diving?

So why has every major training agency established 130 feet — 40 meters — as the depth limit for recreational diving? In order to venture further and explore wrecks, caves and other sites beyond 130 feet, these agencies — such as PADI, NAUI and SSI — require “technical” certifications.

This precedent can be traced to the U.S. Navy, which established the rule in the 1950s and still requires special permission from a commanding officer for a diver to exceed this limit.

“The 130-foot limit is an arbitrary depth originally adopted by the U.S. Navy because it gave Navy divers about 10 minutes of (no-deco) time on compressed air; going any deeper on air made no sense to the Navy because the time available to do useful work was simply too short,” writes Lawrence Martin in Scuba Diving Explained: Questions & Answers on Physiology and Medical Aspects.

Like many nontechnical (recreational or sport) divers, I have occasionally dived deeper than 130 feet, generally when there was something important to do and/or see. I have only 36 dives (1.6%) deeper than 130 feet and all but 3 were less than 150 feet. None of these dives were deco dives.

I would imagine a reasonable number of experienced divers might confess similar transgressions.

I wanted to add that PADI tables, both their original tables that were based on the US Navy table and their own RDP which first came out in 1988, included a 140' column.

I'm not sure how that fits in with the 130' max. But I have seen one plausible explanation that it was there as a convenience for divers who inadvertently broke the 130' limit. For those who weren't trained in the tables, the NDL times were given for each 10ft interval and the rule was that if you went even one foot below one of the depths marked on the table you had to use the next interval. So a 131' dive would have been literally off the charts if they hadn't included the 140' info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom