Old steel 72 - can't read most of the numbers, what do I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PBcatfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've always liked the old 2250 psi steel 72's. I just came across one a few days ago. It has the modern style neck threads. The J valve still works. The inside of the tank is still shiny. I'd like to get it hydro'd & put back into service.

Unfortunately, the only numbers I can read on the tank head are the old hydro test stamps. One is from 1977 & the other is from the '80's. The paint is faded from yellow (under the boot) to almost a pale white. The US Divers logo sticker on the tank makes me think that the paint is likely original, but if that is true, it is so thick that it covered up all the numbers that were stamped into the tank other than the Hydro dates. The 1977 date is painted over, but easily readable. The later date is stamped through the paint. There is no rust at the newer hydro date, so I am thinking that maybe this thing never got used after the second hydro.

So my real question at this point is - what do I have to do to get this thing tested? Do I need to remove all the paint from the head so that the numbers can be read? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for the best way to do that?

Thanks

I've always liked the old 2250 psi steel 72's. I just came across one a few days ago. It has the modern style neck threads. The J valve still works. The inside of the tank is still shiny. I'd like to get it hydro'd & put back into service.

Unfortunately, the only numbers I can read on the tank head are the old hydro test stamps. One is from 1977 & the other is from the '80's. The paint is faded from yellow (under the boot) to almost a pale white. The US Divers logo sticker on the tank makes me think that the paint is likely original, but if that is true, it is so thick that it covered up all the numbers that were stamped into the tank other than the Hydro dates. The 1977 date is painted over, but easily readable. The later date is stamped through the paint. There is no rust at the newer hydro date, so I am thinking that maybe this thing never got used after the second hydro.

So my real question at this point is - what do I have to do to get this thing tested? Do I need to remove all the paint from the head so that the numbers can be read? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for the best way to do that?

Thanks
Take it to a hydro facility and pick it up when done. That is all you need to do.
If they need to remove paint to read the information, they will do so.

I had a vintage USD 72. one shop sent it out and had it sent back because the numbers were unreadable. Another shop looked at and said it was lined and know way to know what the condition of the steel under the liner. The seller gave me my money back and I kept the backpack and recycled the rest. They problem with old tanks is you can hit some clunkers. I could have remover exterior paint and the liner, but it would have defeated the reason I wanted tank in the first place (I Was most interested the vintage backplate that came with it)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom