Old Scuba Point Open To Divers Again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello all I was wandering the interweb and came across this off the dive buddy site.

October 4, 2015
facebook.com/lushresort
possumkingdomlushresort.com/
Lush Resort on Possum Kingdom Lake was formerly called Scuba Point (an old scuba park) before being redeveloped into a kind of restaurant on the lake with extras. It has NICE and CLEAN bathrooms, beach, dock, boat/jet ski/lake equipment rentals, pool, limited bar, many nice areas to hang out in, and a lake side shower to wash the lake water off. There are hotel rooms under construction that are almost completed. There’s a food truck sometimes but the owners may make you a burger if it’s not available. There’s no scuba specific support available but the owners are fine with using their property as a launching point. It’s $5 for a day pass. Beers were $5, burgers were $5, and sodas were $2. The dives were good by lake standards. Fresh water species such a bass, carp, perch, and catfish are common. Bring a torch and thicker wet suit for deeper dives. There’s lots of things to explore in that part of the lake. There’s an underwater forest that attracts fish and a long wall with lots of overhangs and mini-caves to explore. Lush Resort is a very pleasant place to hang out for a few hours and do some dives.

And it seems that a dive shop called "Scuba Point" is open in Graford.

So what's the old sites like? I talked to the new owner not long after it was back open but at that point he had not decided if he would allow diving.

It's a large lake with similar conditions and ecology to other
large lakes I have been to like Lake Murray, Canyon Lake,
Lake Travis, Lake Whitney, etc. Since the water level is
up on PK I see no point (if you are starting in DFW) to
go to Travis anymore since you can get the same thing
again at PK without traveling so far.

Well what I was asking about was if you saw any of the old Scuba Point "wrecks"
When I was stationed in Abilene I used to dive there a lot it was not what I would call blue water but it was a fun place to hangout 20 odd years ago.

I enjoyed your writeup it brought back good memories

I saw one wreck. It was a typical lake boat. It had what looked
like a fake torpedo stuck in the side. It was the only wreck I
saw but I have only done four dives there and couldn't say I
have explored the area completely at all. There's probably
more stuff down there to check out when I get around to
going back there.

Bill, where did you find that great visibility in your avatar photo?

Thunder Bay,Lake Huron on the Montana wreck if I remember correctly.
Cold water even during August but fantastic diving! If you ever get the chance it's a great trip and lots to dive on.

Thanks for asking

Bill, where did you find that great visibility in your avatar photo?

Gulf of Mexico. That photo was taken at a rig off the coast of Freeport, TX.

Dad and I used to dive scuba point back in the late '60s and through the '70s. I'm glad it's back open- sort of.
Is the boat ramp as steep as it used to be? As a kid I loved watching them launch boats with the tractor. It was really fun to watch someone who didn't want to pay and try to launch his boat himself, and I think I remember someone turning his truck into a submarine once.

Back
Top Bottom