Old regs, worth playing with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I just got 250 O-rings of the sizes needed for the Aquarius first stage. I have a friend who is going to punch out a passel of HP seats. It won't be long now and I'll have a lifetime supply of Aquarius parts!

So what does that HP seat even do? And why is flipping it over a fix?

I just got my o-rings in today, I'm sitting down to rebuild the reg now.

So what does that HP seat even do? And why is flipping it over a fix?

I just got my o-rings in today, I'm sitting down to rebuild the reg now.
A Hp seat is the seal between the High pressure air from the tank to the intermediate pressure going to the 2nd stage. When you breath on the reg, the intermediate pressure drops, and the piston pulls away from the HP seat releasing air from the tank to the reg. When you stop inhaling, the intermediate pressure equalizes, and the piston seals (or seats) against the HP seat again sealing off the pressure. Doing this again & again and eventually the seat becomes worn from the pressure of the piston against the seat. Flipping it over will give you a new seating surface. FYI, Not all HP seats for other regs can be flipped over.

Ah Ha! Success! I now have a completely functional Aqua-Lung Aquarius.

So...how to dive this thing? As it stands as a regulator 'set' its just the first and second stage. No SPG, no octo or secondary.

Youtube video of working Aquarius: YouTube - aquarius_working.AVI

So...how to dive this thing? As it stands as a regulator 'set' its just the first and second stage. No SPG, no octo or secondary.

:rofl3: A vintage diver would just hook it to a tank with a J valve, slap a back plate on the tank and go diving. We don't need not stinkin SPG. :)

You'll either have to find an older SPG with a 3/8" fitting, or get an adapter to fit a newer 7/16" SPG to the regulator:

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_17&products_id=153

As for a BC inflator or octopus, pick which one you want to use. The Aquarius can't do both unless you get a low pressure port adapter to give you more LP ports. I put an inflator hose on mine since I never use an octopus. The Aquarius was made during the time before alternate air sources (octos) when buddy breathing was SOP.

Ebay is a good source for vintage SPGs.

If the first stage isn't leaking and you don't have IP creep, then the HP seat is good. No need to flip it until it leaks or creeps.

Well done Klint,

It's not the vintage way to go, but if you have 2 lp ports you can use one for your primary and an Air 2 in the other.....Now for a shamless plug.....I have one for sale :D & I'll even throw in a vintage hp gauge that screws into the smaller hp ports.

PM me if you are interested.

Couv

Interesting thread. I have an aquarius in my dive closet that my grandpa gave me years ago. In fact, I have an entire vintage setup and never realized it. My gpa is not a diver, just a junk collector....

I know the aquarius works, but haven't taken it underwater. I've been thinking about getting it serviced but i didn't figure any shops would know what to do with it. I may give it a go myself after reading this...of course if anyone wants to make an offer, send me a pm. I also have an extra vintage SPG if anyone is interested.

Page 83 of the manual simply says to install the base plug (cap) flush with the regulator body. The manual says that the IP "can" be adjusted and that the IP range is 128-132 @2400 psi tank pressure. Installing the base plug flush with the body gives an IP between 130 and 140 @2400 psi, depending on the strength of the two piston springs. Tank pressure of 3000 psi adds maybe 5 psi or so. The guy who sold me my first one said that the maximum designed IP is about 150 psi. So it is up to the person doing the servicing whether or not to go the extra step to fine tune the IP. Personally, I like keeping mine set as high as possible so that airflow is at maximum at lower tank pressures. You can't overpressure the IP on these regs. The base plug cannot be loosened far enough. It just pops out.

Just screwing the base plug flush with the body on a 2250 psi tank gives me the following measurements with my home made IP gauge:

Stable: 135psi
Lowest upon full breath: 120psi
Full purge: 115psi

The IP rises back up quickly (less than a second).

I measure the cracking pressure at around 5/8".

The instruments were built from this post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/218961-diy-regulator-test-flow-panel.html

Just screwing the base plug flush with the body on a 2250 psi tank gives me the following measurements with my home made IP gauge:

Stable: 135psi
Lowest upon full breath: 120psi
Full purge: 115psi

The IP rises back up quickly (less than a second).

I measure the cracking pressure at around 5/8".

The instruments were built from this post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/218961-diy-regulator-test-flow-panel.html

That sounds about right for the Aquarius. The IP will slowly drop as tank pressure drops.

You might want to check the IP at 3000 PSI to see if the second stage needs to be adjusted for the slightly higher IP that pressure will give. It most probably won't need any further adjustment, though.

This weekend at Mammoth Lake, the reg worked flawlessly. I opted to use the second LP port for my inflator hose. I kept it shallow and my buddy [user]avocadogirl[/user] close.

Attachments

• P6120005.jpg
    P6120005.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 105
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom