Question Old question from new dude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many of the regulars here would probably be able to say if they are selling a MK5/MK10 with steel or brass turret retainers, but since the only way to find out is opening the first stage the average seller would not know the answer to that question.

If buying blind, I assume MK10 retainers to be steel and MK5 retainers to be brass. That will cover 95% of used MK5/MK10s out there.
Even some of the early 90s version MK5s with modern style yoke screw came from the factory with brass retainers, so it might be possible to find a few of the very earliest MK10s with brass retainer.
Glad I picked up a few steel replacements from VDH a few years ago. not sure where to source them now.
I have a bunch of MK10s, all serviced (some of which I need to sell). How do you tell the difference between the steel and brass ones?

From a note on later MK5 service schematic.
  • Brass can be identified by slight greenish color if corroded, or by scratching the surface to reveal brass color under the chrome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom