Old Pneumothorax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDocER

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am interested in what the docs on SB would say as well as anyone with any experience in diving and having a history of a pneumothorax. I have a potential student who had a traumatic pneumothroax about 5 years ago secondary to an MVC. She is otherwise healthy with no medical problems. She had a chest tube at the time. Once the pneumo healed, the tube was pulled, and she has not had any lung related issues since. She's an OB/GYN doc and has been active and in great shape. Any contraindications to her learning how to dive?

I believe the consensus is that traumatic pneumo, if completely resolved, is not a contraindication to diving, as it portends no abnormality of the underlying lung parenchyma. From the standpoint of a former trauma surgeon, I would actually think the patient might be even SAFER, since there are undoubtedly some adhesions left from the trauma and the chest tube.

I had the entire left side of my body Crushed in a car accident where a tree cut the car almost in half from the drivers door to the passenger door, I was the driver.

I also had the same chest tube for the pneumothroax as well as Many other injuries, I have been diving 5 years and over a thousand dives with no problem.

I did of course get a Doctors clearance first!

I believe the consensus is that traumatic pneumo, if completely resolved, is not a contraindication to diving, as it portends no abnormality of the underlying lung parenchyma. From the standpoint of a former trauma surgeon, I would actually think the patient might be even SAFER, since there are undoubtedly some adhesions left from the trauma and the chest tube.

To insure proper healing and no signs of air trapping a high resolution CT scan of the chest may be needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom