Old man + too much time =

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here's a clip from my science fair project.

[video=youtube;qZNBPfBA1rU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNBPfBA1rU&list=UU5zvhnU0XYpf_cadpYJYkhQ& index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

Sweet ... waz all da black stuff covern' yo body cuz?

Sweet! I remember seeing those in Skin Diver mag way back when. Never actually saw anyone dive with one.

I like the contrast of using a "Hawaiian" pack with a drysuit :wink:

Hee hee, I ran out of axle grease so I had to use my drysuit. I have a wetsuit but 44F makes doing two dives a pain and it's a little harder to get away with no BC and a thick wetsuit. On that dive I was using my Mk5/109-108 regs and this Tabata "PAN TO SCOPE" curved lens mask I bought for two bucks. It didn't have nose pockets so I tried something I read about and glued a rubber block into the nasal area. Works great.
Unfortunately my camera packed it in UW first dive so I didn't get any diving shots.
Dive two was with my Tabata (coincidence?) pig snout mask and DAAM.
003.jpg
Snapshot319-02-20127-20PM.png

Dale,

That turned out great, I wish I could fit into my grandfathers, but I'm too much of porker in my middle age:

IMG_2466.jpg

I'll bet you could market those on VDH if you had the desire. Looks like it turned out great.

PS: How much to see the axle grease photos??? ha ha

I remember you showing that rig before and secretly coveting it. Call me cookoo but it is beautiful... I love the Hawaiian pack. It is, to me, the simplest and best design for open water diving - if transport isn't an issue (the hoops are awkward when stacking multiple tanks). It is uber easy to suit up, doff and don UW and if adjusted right stays tight to the body.

PS. Because you asked for it:

Picture2010-8.jpg

(actually a photo from "Descent into Darkness" by E. Raymer USN)

The Hawaiian pack I used to have was constructed so the the hoops were held in with a cotter pin and could be easily removed or rotated. That made transport and storage much easier.

Yes, this one is similar, the hoops swing in.
Picture2028-4.jpg
I considered braising brass door hinges on mine to achieve the same effect but I'm already thinking the plywood backplate is unnecessary. I plan to attach the hoops by the side of the tank via two brass bands only.

Mine (I wish I still had it) had a metal backplate with a rather deep Vee in it. The tank sat in that Vee and was held by a series of three airplane cables that were in turn tightened with a nut and a bolt. Welded to the backplate were two pieces of pipe, each of which accepted a narrow piece of pipe that was bend into the shoulder hoop. A hole was drilled through each pipe and hoop to accept a cotter pin.

Back
Top Bottom