Old guy needs an air integrated computer that he can READ!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan tried a Perdix this past weekend: he found it hard to read. Me? I have no problem with it. He's not a tech diver, so ANYTHING with a bright display for my far-sighted friend would be good
:shocked:I am sorry but as a fellow diver with very bad vision, if he can’t see the perdix screen he should ask for a refund on his prescription mask!

Cobalt 2: $1450, serial cable to PC for downloads. Console. Rechargeable battery. Proprietary RGBM algorithm.
Perdix AI: $1285, Bluetooth for downloads. Wrist mount. AA battery. Buhlmann algorithm with adjustable gradient factors.

Both easy to read and use. Bells and whistles are similar for recreational diving.
So differences are console vs wrist, connection to computer, batteries, algorithms.
<snip>

As a small clarification, the Cobalt uses standard USB cables for data transfer and charging. Serial interfaces are still used on many dive computers, the reason some need expensive proprietary cables.

To the OP, don’t only consider the size- screen contrast is a huge component of legibility. Emissive color screens like the Cobalt or Perdix (and now several others) will be much easier to read in a variety of conditions, particularly in dim light or at depth. The downside is that they are more expensive and need more battery power. Bright sunlight is where such emissive displays are at their worst. Older monochrome LCD displays are much lower in contrast and harder to read in dim light, but are easy to see in bright sun.

Check out the user interface, how easy the navigation is to follow (can you figure it out without needing a manual?), and how well it fits with your type of diving- for instance if you often use a compass for bearings, that interface would be important. Variations in font sizes and positions of particular data- screen layout- are important to clarity. It's really hard to generalize what will be best for any one diver. Some of us do types of diving that make wearing a wrist computer problematic or just don't want to wear anything on our wrists, probably most people nowadays prefer a wrist mount. Likewise plugging in a charger vs. opening the computer and inserting an easily available battery comes down to a personal preference.

It shouldn't be hard to find a computer that is easy for you to read. Look at screen layout and contrast level.

Ron

Dan tried a Perdix this past weekend: he found it hard to read. Me? I have no problem with it. He's not a tech diver, so ANYTHING with a bright display for my far-sighted friend would be good

Well, there's a first time for everything...

Over the years, I have updated virtually every piece of equipment I own EXCEPT my Oceanic Proplus 2 computer. Air integrated (on a hose but replaces your console) big numbers, backlit, easy to use, read, and understand. Battery last for years. Very easy to set Nitrox mixes too. My wife checked my air on one of our first dives and she had to have one over her wrist computer. The newer ones I believe have color screens, but I can read mine fine.

I seem to remember some one having them for less than $400, but here's the LP ad
Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1, Air Integrated Computer with Compass

Good luck,
Jay

The Oceanic pro plus also runs DSAT which some prefer for it’s long bottom times and venerable track record.

I don’t like things on my wrists because I often peel down the top half of my thick wetsuit between dives and then have to take it off and remember to put it back on and not lose it on the boat. With the air integrated console with compass everything is in one place, attached to my rig, and only one place to check underwater.

I do prefer it on a retractor clipped upfor easy checking though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom