Old DiveRite Canister Light repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, that's what I'm wondering, a Light and Motion Sola 1200 is 1200 Lumen... and giving 70 minutes (to 440 minutes) for around $200 and is much smaller... so is a conversion worth it? What other benefits is the converted Dive Rite going to have?

if you put an LD13 in there for call it $400, and you spend $200 for a lithium battery/charger, then you have something that will burn for probably 5-6 hours

I thought about converting old lights that I've seen for sale here and there. The part of retrofitting LEDs that gives me pause is how to focus the beam. You can't just put an LED chip where the HID bulb was and get the same beam pattern. Like all the cars on the road with HID bulbs in an incandescent reflector......I'm afraid that after spending money and time I'd end up with a 120deg video light or some kind of fish eye pattern...... The raw materials to make a decent 4s2p Li battery pack cost about $75, and you can charge it with a $30 hobby RC charger.

I thought about converting old lights that I've seen for sale here and there. The part of retrofitting LEDs that gives me pause is how to focus the beam. You can't just put an LED chip where the HID bulb was and get the same beam pattern. Like all the cars on the road with HID bulbs in an incandescent reflector......I'm afraid that after spending money and time I'd end up with a 120deg video light or some kind of fish eye pattern...... The raw materials to make a decent 4s2p Li battery pack cost about $75, and you can charge it with a $30 hobby RC charger.

Talk to @Bobby *though email is better through is website https://uwlightdude.com/* and see if he's still doing LD13 conversions. If he is, that includes the optics that make his lights so special

Sad, no retrofit... response from Bobby

Key points.

"Unfortunately, due to liability reasons, we can no longer retrofit other manufacturers lights."

And further...

"In the picture it looks like it is a wreck canister, IIRC 3.5" or so, if it is then I would suggest a new light. The wreck canisters have a glued bottom and tend to leak or fall off."

Thanks for everyone's input!

Thanks everyone... given this info, the broken one "has no value," so me messing around with it, trying to convert myself is a no-risk venture and may offer some interesting learning.

I'll set it in my to-do bin... likely not to be touched for years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom