Okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would Okinawa be relatively easy/relatively affordable to get to for a weekend dive trip from Seoul? I've just learned that I will be going to Seoul on a business trip in late October, and I'm always keen to see if I can attach a dive trip to a business trip. I expect that I would have to fly from and back to Seoul in order to pick up the return flight back to Europe. (In other words, I won't have any flight connection anywhere else in Asia, such as Tokyo, as part of the plane ticket that takes me to the business meeting.)

Thanks.

There are direct flights from Seoul to Naha, Okinawa but they do not run daily. Check with your travel agent for availability its only a couple hour flight.

frogoutofwater:
Would Okinawa be relatively easy/relatively affordable to get to for a weekend dive trip from Seoul? I've just learned that I will be going to Seoul on a business trip in late October, and I'm always keen to see if I can attach a dive trip to a business trip. I expect that I would have to fly from and back to Seoul in order to pick up the return flight back to Europe. (In other words, I won't have any flight connection anywhere else in Asia, such as Tokyo, as part of the plane ticket that takes me to the business meeting.)

Thanks.

Frog... Another alternative if you don't mind the slightly longer flight is the Philippines. The flight would probably be cheaper and the diving as well. There are plenty of daily direct flights from Seoul to Manila and Cebu.

pakman:
Frog... Another alternative if you don't mind the slightly longer flight is the Philippines. The flight would probably be cheaper and the diving as well. There are plenty of daily direct flights from Seoul to Manila and Cebu.

Thanks for the alternative suggestion, pakman. Do you have any advice on whether I could find dive shops/dive sites near Cebu that would suit a novice, solo diver (about 30 post-certification dives) who (a) prefers a "full-service" diving experience on boats (e.g. a shop that hauls your gear down to and back from the boat, uses a well-equipped boat - preferably with a WC, and has attentive and prudent divemasters leading the dives); (b) is phobic about mosquitoes; and (c) prefers her accommodation to be relatively high-end (e.g. 3* or better) and with real walls (e.g. not for her a charming, thatched, indoor-outdoor living bungalow on the beach? (I know that makes me sound like a princess, but I'll be travelling by myself, without my rugged and chivalrous husband/regular dive buddy.)

frogoutofwater:
Thanks for the alternative suggestion, pakman. Do you have any advice on whether I could find dive shops/dive sites near Cebu that would suit a novice, solo diver (about 30 post-certification dives) who (a) prefers a "full-service" diving experience on boats (e.g. a shop that hauls your gear down to and back from the boat, uses a well-equipped boat - preferably with a WC, and has attentive and prudent divemasters leading the dives); (b) is phobic about mosquitoes; and (c) prefers her accommodation to be relatively high-end (e.g. 3* or better) and with real walls (e.g. not for her a charming, thatched, indoor-outdoor living bungalow on the beach? (I know that makes me sound like a princess, but I'll be travelling by myself, without my rugged and chivalrous husband/regular dive buddy.)

head on over to the Philippines Paradise Diver subforum... there's a ton of info on diving in cebu and pretty sure you'll find plently of top notch dive shops out there. And you'll be pampered (i.e. no carrying tanks, etc...) An the locals on the forum there will be more than happy to help you out with suggestions. As for accommodations, there are 5 star resorts on Cebu such as the Shangri-la. As for mosquitos... well just make sure you use a repellent and cover up at nite.

frogoutofwater:

I don't think Novice and Solo Diver go together :)

christ you DIR boys take yourselves way too serious... snap out of the cool-aid daze guys... I believe she is referring to the fact that her husband isn't joining on the trip.

pakman:
christ you DIR boys take yourselves way too serious... snap out of the cool-aid daze guys... I believe she is referring to the fact that her husband isn't joining on the trip.

Solo diver normally indicates one who is diving alone... If this is simply a matter of incorrect vocabulary, no worries. When I first saw "novice, solo diver" it kind of made me wonder.

By the way, I don't know why this turned into a "DIR bash" but oh well. So be it.

iflylow:
By the way, I don't know why this turned into a "DIR bash" but oh well. So be it.

well... cuz non-DIR folks aren't so quick to jump on others for their non-conforming diving habits. Ben_ca, I know, follows the ways of the Men In Black... :wink: I just @ss-umed you were as well considering the superman pose and uber buoyancy control in your avatar... :wink: Anyways, apologizes to you two and the original posters in this thread... now back to our originally scheduled program...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom