OK to cut up black sea urchins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetrat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I'm a beginning diver and I was recently on a boat dive in so cal when the dive master showed us how to cut a black sea urchin up to feed and attract reef fish. It worked great and two or three of us cut one up as well.

After awhile I started to think what would happen if every diver made it a habit to start cutting up black sea urchins. Wouldn't that hurt the reef? Just wondering if someone out there could let me know their thoughts....

Thanks,

wetrat

Looks like you already know the answer.

I can just picture an alien race killing humans up. What the hey... there are so many of them. Serioously though, there is no excuse for killing animals just for your entertainment. This pooint is stressed in PAdi OW.

Two rocks banged together will accomplish the same thing. So will doing nothing and just stopping and staying in one spot for a few minutes. I also like, just turn around, there is a whole army of fish following you to see what we stir up.

Observe but do not disturb.

I don't think we have Black Sea Urchins in CA. They were most likely Purple or Crowned Sea Urchins.
As far as killing them, well it really depends on where you are. Don't do it in a Marine Reserve, but kill as many of them as you can anywhere else :D These things destroy kelp beds.

pasley:
Two rocks banged together will accomplish the same thing. So will doing nothing and just stopping and staying in one spot for a few minutes. I also like, just turn around, there is a whole army of fish following you to see what we stir up.

So that's why you don't stay off the bottom :wink:

partridge:
Looks like you already know the answer.

I can just picture an alien race killing humans up. What the hey... there are so many of them. Serioously though, there is no excuse for killing animals just for your entertainment. This pooint is stressed in PAdi OW.

I like your alien analogy and, you're right, I DO already know the answer. :blush: That was the third really experienced diver I've run across that does that, and so I guess I was beginning to second guess my instincts a little. Doesn't it seem odd to actually teach that to your dive boat clients? Not sure if he was PADI, SSI or what.

wetrat

Robert Phillips:
I don't think we have Black Sea Urchins in CA. They were most likely Purple or Crowned Sea Urchins.
As far as killing them, well it really depends on where you are. Don't do it in a Marine Reserve, but kill as many of them as you can anywhere else :D These things destroy kelp beds.

Hmmmm... we were at the Coronados (Lobster Shack) in about 40 fsw. These were very spikey, 3-4 inch diameter with about one inch spikes. Color may not be black because I didn't shine a light on them. They were in every crack of the rocky reef.

wetrat

wetrat:
Hello,

I'm a beginning diver and I was recently on a boat dive in so cal when the dive master showed us how to cut a black sea urchin up to feed and attract reef fish. It worked great and two or three of us cut one up as well.

After awhile I started to think what would happen if every diver made it a habit to start cutting up black sea urchins. Wouldn't that hurt the reef? Just wondering if someone out there could let me know their thoughts....

Thanks,

wetrat

There was a post on this very subject.(it may have been here) A guy who'd been diving for years did the same thing in front of a group of newbie divers. On the next dive the water was so badly chummed by these poor creatures, you could barely see. Just imagine what this does to the ecosystem.

Bring bread or cereal.

pasley:

Thanks Mel,

I like the rock banging idea better than cutting up a living animal.

wetrat

Just take some chum down with you, if you lucky you may even attrack a great white.........oooh, party time!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom