Ok, so what happened to the board?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted S

SB Co-Founder
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Sometime yesterday evening ScubaBoard experienced some major data corruption in the settings table. What caused this corruption is not known for certain, it may have been a bad setting change, a bug in the mysql version or something else. Needless to say once the board went down serious work began to bring it back up. My initial efforts were to backup the database and then try and repair the tables, normally this does the trick and fixes any problems in a matter of minutes, that didn’t help. For the remainder of the night I worked using old backups and the new ones, trying to merge the two together but nothing really seemed to work. Finally at around 5am an emergency support ticket was sent in to our software manufacturers, www.vbulletin.com, within a few hours they had isolated the mysql corruption issue and repaired it (their support was simply amazing). Unfortunately a few things were lost in the change, mainly the entire settings data table. I have recreated most of the previous settings but there are most likely a few things I simply can’t remember or did not write down. If you notice any behavior that is different than with the old forum please let me know so I can modify that setting immediately. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

For the techies, most of this was caused by a mysql error #127 and is most likely not related to our actual server, our host or the forum software (we had 26 days of uptime when this occurred). Because this issue has been reported one other time to the software developer we will be trying to sort out what exactly failed to help other boards from experiencing the same problem.

I'm sure you do, but just in case trying to access it yields the following error message:

Could not connect to User databaseUnknown database 'forum'

Marc

Thanks for the heads up! The problem was related to a database name change and is now corrected.

Tech Admin:
Sometime yesterday evening ScubaBoard experienced some major data corruption in the settings table. What caused this corruption is not known for certain, it may have been a bad setting change, a bug in the mysql version or something else. Needless to say once the board went down serious work began to bring it back up. My initial efforts were to backup the database and then try and repair the tables, normally this does the trick and fixes any problems in a matter of minutes, that didn’t help. For the remainder of the night I worked using old backups and the new ones, trying to merge the two together but nothing really seemed to work. Finally at around 5am an emergency support ticket was sent in to our software manufacturers, www.vbulletin.com, within a few hours they had isolated the mysql corruption issue and repaired it (their support was simply amazing). Unfortunately a few things were lost in the change, mainly the entire settings data table. I have recreated most of the previous settings but there are most likely a few things I simply can’t remember or did not write down. If you notice any behavior that is different than with the old forum please let me know so I can modify that setting immediately. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

For the techies, most of this was caused by a mysql error #127 and is most likely not related to our actual server, our host or the forum software (we had 26 days of uptime when this occurred). Because this issue has been reported one other time to the software developer we will be trying to sort out what exactly failed to help other boards from experiencing the same problem.

It's probably bad timing but since you're busy with the settings and templates I'll throw it out there for your consideration.

Bit of a picky thing really, but I'm colour blind. Like in badly .... all the way across the spectrum. When you're testing new templates it would be nice for me (and probably for scores of other users) if you would take a look at the site in a grey-scale setting some time. For example, *you* can probably see the difference in colour in the little icon left of the "report" button showing if someone is on line or not. But I can't. I have to move the mouse over it to see what it says..... That kind of thing.

R..

TA,
Low priority, but I noticed the site title [the top bar of the browser] is "Scuba Diving Board" rather than "Scubaboard". [gets me confused when I go to the taskbar to bring up my iconified browser :wink:]

Hum, I was doing some SEO but I see your point, I'll change it back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom