Ok, So I have to puke underwater. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MIKEC,
I USE AN AIR2 WHICH HAS SMALL EXHAUST PORTS IF I DO GET SICK I PUKE THROUGH MY MAIN SWITCH TO MY AIR2 AND CLEAN OUT MY MAIN RINSE MY MOUTH AND THEN BACK TO THE MAIN IF IT IS CLEAR. iF NOT I HEAD FOR THE TOP TO FINISH CLEANING IT OUT.

cancun mark:
Do not attempt this with a rebreather......

Cute. But that makes me curious. What would you do with a rb? Do you think you'd have enough time to close the DSV and switch to the octo before hurling?

I had a buddy puke once @ 90+ feet (Schurz, Morehead, NC). I had always wondered what really would happen if you puked at depth. I saw the chunks blow out through the exhaust ports and the bait fish came a running (swimming). So after that I figure if I ever have to puke I will just go with it.

Im just worried that if you do puke through the reg, when you go for your next breath and suck in a chunk and start choking. But then again, I guess you would throw up then go right to your octo

underwater daphne:
i have to puke quite often underwater. just a bit though, so i don't know what it's like if you have to puke a lot underwater.

don't change anything, just puke and get on with business as if you were just breathing. however if you feel really sick, might be a reason to call the dive.

Um...not to be rude but why on earth do you have to puke often underwater?

starfish365:

The only time ive done it after ingesting diesel fumes for 90 mins prior to getting to the dive site.

starfish365:

i don't know. i've asked around and there are many opinions, vertigo, etc. i don't feel vertigo and otherwise i also feel fine. i just have to vomit a bit quite often while ascending. it's very little and only once. maybe the pressure. my stomach is rather sensitive. could just be gas. ??

there's nothing rude about your question.

I only did it once it 13 years of diving. i have acid reflux ate at taco bell and didn't have any antacids. got down burped and some bile came up and it was all over. But i did learn quickly and remembered from watching someone else get sick in the bahamas what they did.

I puked on my first open water cert dive on top of the water. Came pretty quickly and just let it rip right through the regulator (the joy of rentals). I was impressed that the first instinctive breath right after the incident was perfectly clean. I did swish the reg after a couple breaths, but no problems whatsoever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom