Ok People....the Decison Has Been Made!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well....here we go........my first liveaboard cruise!!

I am soooooooooooo pumped....!!!

My dive instructor buddie and I have booked a cruise on the Nekton Pilot in Belize!!!

October 25th to Nov 1st!!

Anyone got any Must sees or Must do's that I should consider?
Also, anything I should prepare myself for or anything that I should bring?

any info on how to prepare myself will be deeply appreciated!!

The Heck with those 40 degree puddles of Ohio......

IM GOING TO BELIZE BABY!!!!

NightRaven77:D

I did Belize a couple of springs ago with the Aggressor. Belize City is not safe. Get to the boat and stay on the boat. The Reefs and Walls on the Belize Reef have been well maintained. There is beauty and creatures not to be missed. Many of the dives are deeper than 60 feet. Get Nitrox if possible It makes a big difference when doing five days per day.

The weather is warm, but the wind may blow. Consult with your doctor and get some type of sea sickness medication. The patch works for me.

The only clothes you will need is a bathing suit and maybe a tee shirt/shorts while on the boat. Pack using soft sided bags. Pack one personal bag and the other is your dive gear. If possible take all dive gear as carry on luggage. Dive knives are not needed so do not bring one.

Have all your dive gear checked and ready. The DM's on the boat are good but they are not magicians! Bring cash for the trip ending tip. This is what the dive crew is really working for. Chances are you will want to give all you can.

You will probably get a chance to do the Blue Hole. Once is enough but it is a thrill.

Here is a link to the trip report I posted from our trip on the Nekton Pilot in the Bahamas. It will give you an idea of what the days will be like. The only difference will be the names of the dive sites and the types of fish you will see.

http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/mchiapetto

Have a great time. We are thinking about doing a trip with Nekton to Belize too. Just have to save up some more pennies first. Be sure to post a report letting us know about your trip.

It's been a few years since I've been to Belize but here is what I remember. Most of this is non-diving related.

o Liveaboards in general - don't pack too many clothes! It's pretty darn casual and you'll be in your swimming suit most of the time.

o If you are person that gets cold easily pack a sweat suit or some type of jacket. The inside portions of the boat will be air conditioned and I find myself getting pretty cold.

o If you are a photographer make sure to take some slide film. Many of the boats have slide developing and you can get pretty fast feedback / help with your photography.

o If this is also your first warm water trip - remember to pack the essentials in your carry-on. Many of the locations do not have daily flights so if your luggage gets misplaced you may be without your stuff for a few days. (Been there and sure was glad I had my regs, bathing suit, shorts, computers and the like.)

o I didn't particularly like the Blue Hole. It just seemed like an excuse to go a bit deeper. There were some rock formations but seeing you live in the mid-West I'd say Bonne Terre is a better use of your time.

o There was a small island (caye) with a lighthouse and bird sanctuary that made a nice surface interval.

o If you have time beyond the live aboard there is a day trip to some ruins about an hour away. Can't remember the name (it has been a few years!) but it is the ruins that are on the label of the local 'Belizian' beer.

o If you are extending your trip a few days you could venture to Chitzenitza. I did these ruins when in Playa Del Carmen a couple years ago. The best explanation was given by a tour guide.... If all the other ruin sites are considered a city, this is NY city. Very impressive.

o Last year when on a cruise Belize was one of our stops. I went on the best excursion on the trip there. It was a jungle walk and cave tubing. We were each given an inner tube and a head lamp. Hiked for about an hour through the jungle, swung into a river via a rope, and floated down the river through some really cool caves.

Hope that helps. & have a safe and fun trip!

Paula

Back
Top Bottom