Ok people, how did I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit

Floppy Ear Mod
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought an Apeks (Dry Sealed System) first stage with a TX 50 primary and a TX 40 Octo with a Sherwood console w/compass for $650.00 for my husband for Sweetest Day. Actually, I just bought him the reg because he needs something more up-to-date. It just happens to be the week before Sweetest Day so he'll get it Saturday.

Anyway, was that a fair price from the LDS or do I need to go back and make them buy me dinner and kiss me?

Thanks for the input!
Ber :bunny:

Well, for comparison, you could buy an ATX-200 + ATX-40 + a console and compass for just under $700. Switch out to an ATX-100 for $60 less. ATX-50 + ATX-40 + Console + Compass would be closer to $450.

It's all about what the warranty and service is worth to you.. doesn't sound like you did too bad though!

The real question though is...

What is Sweetest Day?! :confused:

Ok, so I didn't ask at the shop! These numbers are engraved on the side of the first stage "0098 EN250" does that tell what kind of first stage it is? You mention an ATX-200, how would I know? Yeah I know, buying scuba gear without asking what it is sounds odd. It was an Apeks and he said he got a good deal on them and was selling them as a package that basically gave you a $289 console w/compass for free. I knew I wanted to buy an Apeks for my husband if I could ever afford one and this sounded like my chance.

HMMM! Sweetest Day must be a Mid-Western thing! Basically it's a Hallmark holiday. Guess they figured that by October it's been awhile since people have sent cards to their loved ones so they and the florists got together to invent a holiday to make money! I think it's always on a Saturday but it's rarely seen on printed calendars! HMMMM!

Anyway, it sounded better than telling him "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Birthday 4 months early!" Which were my original choices. We don't normally "do" this holiday, actually we don't usually "do" Valentine's Day either but I need an excuse to wrap this gift so I'm using Sweetest Day!

Off the top of my head...

If the LP ports are on a swivel, it's the DST, which is the standard first stage for the TX50. If it's cylindrical but doesn't have any swiveling, it's the DS4. You said it's dry sealed, so it's either of those. The 100 and ATX200 have pretty distinct first stages that are much more square than round where the ports are.

So that makes it a DST then. Was $650 for the rig too much? Was he supposed to leave that LP inflator hose on there when he sold it to me? He took it off of a display setup, I just realized there is an LP hose still on it, shouldn't he have kept that with the bc it was attached to?
Thanks for the help!

OK, you have to be really quite when talking about that day. I have not heard it mentioned since I moved to Georgia. However, in Wisconsin, everyone expected you to get them something for it. SHHHHHHHHH! It's a midwest secret! :wink:

Anyway, that ain't too bad of a deal. I have seen dive shops here that want over $700 for basically the same combo. I guess it is all where you buy the stuff.

A local LDS here in the North country has the TX 50 w/ TX 40 octo for $530(no console). DiveInn has it for $358. I'm in the process of researching regs now and the prices out there are enough to make your head spin. You're probably better off to be satisfied that you got a great reg! :bandit: :pirate:

Back
Top Bottom