OK MEN ARE TO BLAME....AGAIN Sigh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
From the British medical journal Lancet

Men bad for women's waistlines

Women who cohabit may put on weight as a consequence
A UK obesity expert has analysed why it is that women who move in with their man often put on weight as a result.
Eating man-sized portions and indulging in richer foods and wines can lead to weight gain, a review in The Lancet medical journal says.

When you combine that with going on the contraceptive pill or having babies, a woman's waistline can severely suffer, says author Dr David Haslam.

"Men are very bad for women really," he said.

If you are eating with a partner the evening meal is a social event...you may eat more and maybe more extravagant stuff

Dr Haslam

He said research showed women tend to gain weight once they cohabit and begin to share meals with men who intrinsically have higher energy needs and therefore appetites.

"If you are eating with a partner the evening meal is a social event and its no longer just filling a gap. You may eat more and maybe more extravagant stuff."

The weekly shopping list may change from the basic fruit and veg to include indulgent treats.

Couples may go out to restaurants for meals more often.

Women may do less exercise when they are in a relationship, skipping a trip to the gym to spend quality time with their partner.

Multiple insults

The contraceptive they chose to use can also have an impact.

The Pill, taken by 3.5 million British women, has been associated with a slight weight gain among some users, on average 4lb in the first three months.

Repeated pregnancies can also lead to weight gain.

"Each individual factor for weight gain is serious enough but put them all together and you can get a significant increase," said Dr Haslam.

Societal changes mean women may be less physically active than their great-grandmothers were, doing less housework thanks to time-saving gadgets, getting partners to share the load or paying others to do it for them.

Some studies have shown that married couples gain weight while those who divorce lose weight.

Dr Haslam stressed that it was important not to generalise and that being in a relationship had numerous positive influences and gains too.

He said the important thing was for individuals to look at their own lifestyles and make healthy changes if they needed to.

Obesity has been shown to decrease life expectancy by seven years at the age of 40.

A surprising finding... I guess she'll have to maintain separate quarters (I'll visit her there of course). Of course only a shallow diver like myself would let this affect their decision regarding cohabitation... deep divers wouldn't care at all.

I can fully believe that. I have never dated a lady for a long period of time (year+) that didnt gain weight. I guess I just cook too dang good.

the article didn't mention the most important reason:

when women snag a man, they just let themselves go, cause
they already got the guy

:wink:

which is why (this is a scientific fact) when women get dumped,
they have a really hard time finding another guy, cause they
have to go on crash diets and renew their gym memberships,
and it takes months to get back in "man attracting shape"

:D

cdiver2:
Obesity has been shown to decrease life expectancy by seven years
at the age of 40.

so if you are obese and 40 you've been dead since age 33?

wow.. this is going to come as a surprise to a lot of people

What's the old saying, "how do you get your wife to lose 20 lbs?"

Divorce her. :D

Just kidding ladies please don't hurt me.

Man, all the women on this board will want to kill you guys

What about the guys who have a very active lifestyle and introduce their girlfriends or wives to a variety of active sports, like biking and hiking, as well as introduce them to a healthier mode of eating?

No one writes articles about them.

Two reasons: 1. Those lifestyles are a minority in the US now.
2. Happy news is boring news!

My wife dropped almost 20 lbs, looked real good, then she dropped 200 lbs....me!

Back
Top Bottom