OK, just have to put it out there...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L:
With my 60mm micro, I can use it in macro mode as well as regular telephoto mode, but I find that the 60mm focal length underwater of limited use.

Thats too bad about the limited use. I have the 28mm, 55mm and 105mm Nikon macros, between the 55 and 105, I start with the 55 first. The reason, shorter camera to subject distance means less water means less backscatter equals sharper more colorful images.

Use the 105 when I absolutely positively cannot get the shot unless I pull back on the distances. I mean most sea slugs or other slow moving, stationary subjects could careless if you use a 55 or 105, but the 55 has the edge on image quality.

Some good examples of a 60mm:

http://www.ianskipworth.com/suig/nudis.html

The other plus for the 55 or 60 is that since you will be working at shorter distance you really have to think about the light placement (not enough space for the strobe) unlike the longer distances of a 105. The use of two or more strobes is a given, the results are a nicely lit background like the picture on the second row, center.

Dive Safe

f3nikon:
Thats too bad about the limited use. I have the 28mm, 55mm and 105mm Nikon macros, between the 55 and 105, I start with the 55 first. The reason, shorter camera to subject distance means less water means less backscatter equals sharper more colorful images.

Thanks, but I think that I unintentionally mislead you with my phrase "limited use". I was really referring to the 60mm focal length in non-macro mode. I use the 60mm lens all the time for my macro shots. But otherwise the 60mm lens is virtually useless to me for my local diving as there is nothing of real interest around here to shoot macro, and for wreck photos, the 12-24 is the right lens for the job.

justleesa:
Just thinking out loud here...any input welcome.

Now I got to thinking about Canon, I had looked at them before and was interested in the Rebel XT. As far as the specifics go, not that much different than the 20D, but the price is a big difference.
I am just a serious amateur (lots of grandchildren :)) and I have owned a Canon Digital EOS (original 300D I think it was) for over a year and love it. It is a fantastic camera for land use. I already had some lenses that would work and that was a major factor for me. I wish I could afford a housing for it ... maybe someday.

Willie

Warren_L:
Boi, this intrigues me. For the 70-180mm, looks like it's a bit of a beast of a lens. I presume there is a dome port that works with this lens? Or do you use a flat port of some sort which would probably work better with macro mode?

As for the 2x TC for the 60mm, that could be something I could work with as well. I've been toying with the idea of getting the 105mm micro, but as far as the port, I would presume you would need a port extension?

Warren, The 70-180 is huge. It requires a 5cm extension ring on top of the Subal flat port for the 60mm. Underwater, it is not too bad, as far as handling is concerned however, I would also need a 1cm extension ring if I want to use Nikon 5T or 6T diopter. It is a very versatile lens but without the diopter, it will not do 1:1 like the 60mm or 105mm. I don't actually own a 105mm either. I like the zoom because it helps with composition a lot. Sometimes it is easier to just get down in position then zoom in or out rather than trying to move back and forward to frame the picture.

I quite like the 60mm with 2x teleconverter. It effectively replace the 105mm as far as working distance is concerned and you can move close to the subject for the supermacro work when you can.

I agree about getting closer with 60mm but with dSLR and 2 big strobes, sometimes it is not quite possible to manuever the camera close enough to the subject even if it does not run away with 60mm. It is also quite a bit smaller than 70-180mm.
Here are a couple of pics with 60mm and 2x teleconverter. Neither of these pictures were cropped.

shrimp3.jpg

blenny.jpg

Warren_L:
Thanks, but I think that I unintentionally mislead you with my phrase "limited use". I was really referring to the 60mm focal length in non-macro mode. I use the 60mm lens all the time for my macro shots. But otherwise the 60mm lens is virtually useless to me for my local diving as there is nothing of real interest around here to shoot macro, and for wreck photos, the 12-24 is the right lens for the job.

Thanks for clearing it up, yes 60mm for non macro use is limited.

Dive Safe

ssra30:
I agree about getting closer with 60mm but with dSLR and 2 big strobes, sometimes it is not quite possible to manuever the camera close enough to the subject even if it does not run away with 60mm. It is also quite a bit smaller than 70-180mm.
Here are a couple of pics with 60mm and 2x teleconverter. Neither of these pictures were cropped.

Thats why I had to use the smaller MS-50 strobes. Nice detail on the shrimp, you even have the details of the eye...ball! How much length does the converter add to the 60mm? Because when you look at it the 105 is only a bit longer than the 55 when fully extended. Any pictures using the 5T or 6T yet?

Dive Safe

Wow, some impressive shots with the 2x TC! I'm curious though, with this setup and the 60mm micro, how is the port setup? Do you use a regular flat port for the 60mm with a port extension, and if so, what size? And I presume no diopter required. With the 2x TC you would lose a full stop as well, but dropping the 60mm f/2.8 to a f/4.0 shouldn't be a big deal for using the viewfinder.

PS. Sorry Lisa - this thread has gone somewhat off topic, but I hope you're getting some good info on what lenses you might want to get....

ssra30:
I quite like the 60mm with 2x teleconverter. It effectively replace the 105mm as far as working distance is concerned and you can move close to the subject for the supermacro work when you can.

shrimp3.jpg

blenny.jpg

f3nikon:
Thats why I had to use the smaller MS-50 strobes. Nice detail on the shrimp, you even have the details of the eye...ball! Any pictures using the 5T or 6T yet?

Dive Safe

Yep, I used 5T diopter with 60mm/2x teleconverter but have not tried the 6T yet.
Here are some pics:
boxer_crab.jpg

The boxer crab shell is a tad under 5mm across.

pgymy_seahorse_7.jpg

The pontohi pgymy seahorse is puny, about 7-8mm long (not including the tail bit) about 2-3mm thick.

Smaller strobes help but with 2X teleconverter, you lose a lot of light and the strobe will need to be neccessarily stronger.

The Ikelite is big in a sense that it is long but its diameter is not that much bigger than other strobes such as Sea and Sea or Inon so I am not sure if I can manuever the camera into tighter spot with those strobes either. I wish the Inon ringflash would fit on the Subal port, that would be a lot of fun.

Good stuff, very good stuff!

Warren_L:
Wow, some impressive shots with the 2x TC! I'm curious though, with this setup and the 60mm micro, how is the port setup? Do you use a regular flat port for the 60mm with a port extension, and if so, what size? And I presume no diopter required.

PS. Sorry Lisa - this thread has gone somewhat off topic, but I hope you're getting some good info on what lenses you might want to get....

Yes, I jsut use the regular flat port for the 60mm and the extension ring for my 12-24mm (40mm length) is ok for the 2x teleconverter. It also has enough room to accomodate diopter as well.

I think at least Lisa will get some idea about how much more fun/involving and more toys she will get to play with when switching to dSLR so hopefully this is not too out of the topic :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom