OK I give. What is DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To reiterate, if the OP hasn't completely lost interest in the thread at this point -- read the "What is DIR" piece referenced early in this thread. Go to the GUE website and read some of the pieces there. Search the archives of Scubaboard and read some DIR-F reports. See if any of it intrigues you.

No matter what you read, the DIR-F class opens your eyes to things beyond what you have put together for yourself. You can learn the equipment, and you can learn the basic protocols, but the reality of diving as a team has to be experienced, and Fundies is only the barest glimpse of it.

I just had to throw this link in here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIR_diving

Whenever I'm curious about almost anything, a visit to Wikipedia helps more often than not. This particular article even includes a link to this very forum. That's GOT to be a good sign.

Adam

And no, I've not had any Kool-Aid (yet?) but thanks to some DIR-F experienced diving buddies have found myself looking at the schedule of classes on the GUE website...

Check out BAUE.org

This a Bay Area DIR group. Lots of good links and photos. You can also see DIR gear configuration and diving applications by other DIR divers who dive in your neck of the woods.

neophyte:
Wikipedia also gives link to http://www.frogkick.nl/ There are few clips in section Bibliotheek showing some skills. Two of them contain serious mistakes:

1. SMB deployment: at the end of drill diver clips-off spool with already deployed SMB to his/her right shoulder D-ring

2. Deco tank deployment: diver first puts deco reg in his/her mouth and then opens deco tank valve.

IMO if you want right information go right to the source which is in this case GUE.

They include a link to GUE, and of course that's the place to go to find out about proper DIR skills, attitudes, instructors and such.

On the other hand, I think the article gives a relatively fair overview and mentioned some possibly interesting things that I'm pretty sure you won't find on the GUE site.

The only reason I knew it was there and thought to link to it was that I had the same question as the OP when I was just a lurker here. After some semi-enlightening searches here I happened upon the Wikipedia article (through Google I think) and finally felt that I had a better handle on why this particular acronym seemd to have such a polarizing effect around here.

Also, I'm just a big fan of Wikipedia and think it's a good thing if even one person who's never been gives it a shot.

YMMV,
Adam

Daylonious:
It's a philosophy and a series of classes based in that philosophy. DIR began with a book by Jarrod Jablonski called Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of better Diving

In a nutshell: DIR is setting up specific equipment in a specific manner to maximize diver safety.

<ducks>

D.

I know this is a few days old, but I wanted to address this comment and as I was going through some of the articles I have. I found the following article. I wish I could remember exactly where I found it so I could give proper credit, but here it is anyway.

Philosophy
Being a DIR diver is NOT just about using the right kind of equipment.
Equipment does play an important role in the DIR system but that is
not all that is required to be a DIR diver. DIR is a holistic diving system;
you cannot use just any one part for the system to work properly.

There are &#8220;4 Pillars of DIR&#8221;, these are:

The Dive Team. This consists of dive buddies, support divers (both in
water and on the surface), and if boat diving, the Skipper and Crew.

Diver Preparedness. For the DIR diver to be prepared to do the type
of dive being undertaken, have the correct equipment, have good
mental focus, be physically fit (hyper link to WKPP fitness), have dive
experience, and have thoroughly planned the dive.

Situational Awareness. This can be broken down into 3 areas to monitor:

1. Environment. Depth, time, gas, deco, line entrapments, where you are,
identifying items, exits, other hazards.

2. Team. The team is only as strong as it&#8217;s weakest member, dive plan,
communications, proximity, formation, alertness, and shared responsibilities.

3. Equipment. All equipment is a team resource, functionality, failures, correct
storage, and verification (e.g. Correct gas mix, batteries charged etc.).

Planning. Although thorough dive planning information can be found in GUE Cave
and Tech manual texts, dive plans should be covered by SADDDDD.

Sequence &#8211; who leads/follows & their responsibilities.
Air (despite the fact we do not use air!) &#8211; turn pressure, rock bottom,
duration (maximum time), bailout time/pressure.
Deco &#8211; minimum, actual, bailout.
Distance &#8211; penetration, how far from shore/exit
Depth &#8211; maximum, average.
Direction.
Dive!!

Hope it helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom