OK I give. What is DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daylonious:
It's a philosophy and a series of classes based in that philosophy. DIR began with a book by Jarrod Jablonski called Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of better Diving

In a nutshell: DIR is setting up specific equipment in a specific manner to maximize diver safety.

<ducks>

D.

No it did not.
It is much more than "specific equipment in a specific manner".

Hey.. *I* never drank the Kool-Aid....

At least I took a stab at defining it instead of throwing kool-aid tainted rocks...

prrrrrbbbttttthhh!

:)

D.

Kool-Aid is good, but there is so much more to experience...:D

Daylonious:

At least I took a stab at defining it instead of throwing kool-aid tainted rocks...

prrrrrbbbttttthhh!

D.
that would be pop rocks, I loved them :D

Daylonious:

prrrrrbbbttttthhh!

D.

That's OK D. There is no finite definition...it's a trick question. :D

In a sentence, I think that DIR is a philosophy of diving whose mindset came from the world of cave diving at the WKPP.

I know that's pretty vague, but I'm going for a soundbite. :wink:

That does not begin to scratch the surface. You do have a lot of reading to do!

If after you do a ton of reading you want to understand what all the hoopla is about, take a DIR-F class. I'm glad I did. It's very different from reading about it on the Internet. I have a very long way to go before my skills are up to the fundamental level that they should be, but I'm happily working in it.

By the way, fill out your profile when you get a chance, so that we can put any questions you may have in context.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! :happywave

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom