Ok Honestly?!?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daniel... im not a bpw drone but OP originally had a list of equipment and by our & scubatoys imput now is changing his mind with more knowledge and good for him in doing so.

as someone that has went down the track of trusting my LDS only to find out later on i wished i had made better choices i would have appreciated the honestly from other SB'ers

but personally, i dont think a bpw (or rear inflation) can be truely appreciated unless you first buy that unsuitable or uncomfortable bc & dive unhappily for a while :wink:

I've used a BP/W since they were invented (cave certified since 1982). But, I PREFER using the BCD in open water, especially in the sea. And, remember, the invention of the stabilizing jacket (1975-ish?), is the piece of equipment that allowed scuba to achieve the universal sport appeal that it has. (That, and the octo have made recreational diving easy.)

For a while there people were pretty good about addressing the questions asked and not interjecting a backplate/wing bias into every thread. I hope we are not drifting back.

Check for yourself below. Not a single request for BP/W info.

FastPirate:
ok...so im new to scuba diving and i know im beggining to sound like a broken record, but im going to africa in febuary, im 18 years old, and have limited cash flow... i have been searching around to buy my own scuba stuff... and i went on this website scuba.com. and found a package for about 600 bucks that falls right in my price range that i am ABLE (and let me emphisize that) to spend...now i understand that scuba gear is not something you want to skimp out on because it is a life support system... however i got scolded:no (and i mean scolded) by my local dive shop, telling me that nothing good can come of it, and that it was probably all knock off gear, and that there would be no warranty, and than when i told him that i was sure that the gear came with a full warranty, he than said "well you would have to find someplace to survice it" and my resposne was "you sell oceanic gear... couldnt you service it? and he responded with "quite frankly if some guy came in here and bought the stuff on the internet, saved a whole bunch of cash and had a warranty, id tell him to go ******* himself"...the guy was kind of a jerk, he was trying to tell me that i HAVE to buy a at least a aqualung legend, otherwise im to cheap for scuba diving...which of course makes me feel like crap because i work harder than that snot nosed little pr!ck does every day working construction. if i could afford to spend more i would because i really like scuba diving, i just dont have 1500 bucks to drop on scuba gear right now in my life.

so i checked the website again, and i was right the gear was covered under full warranty...
here's a list of what i wanted to get to start out...and be honest with me, tell me what you think and what you know about any of this gear, and even check out the warranty link and tell me if you think its ledgit,
http://www.scuba.com/resources/warranty_info.asp

heres the link to the packagehttp://www.scuba.com/shop/divesystems.asp
its called the oceanpro dive system, and it comes with :

Oceanic OceanPro BC with quicklock (QLR),
Oceanic Omega II/CDX5 Regulator,
3 Gauge Navcon Console with Max Depth Indicator and compass ,
Oceanic Slimline 2 Octo
(and a free dive bag)

over time id add onto it, but this is just to get me in the door

thanx guys:)

Here's my opinion:

Ocean pro: Good entry level BC. None of the fringes of the 5-600 dollar BC's, but we use it for rentals, and they are absolute tanks.

Reg: Not familiar with that, but all of the Oceanic regs I've sold/used have been great. I reccomend the GT3 and the Delta 4.

Navcon: Good set up! Used it myself (sans compass) until I got my Pro Plus 2 computer.

Slimline: Not fancy, but will get the job done. It should be free with Oceanic's deal at the moment.

Want a good deal? Check out the shop I work at...www.floridascubadepot.com.

Talk to Steve, he'll set you up with a great deal that will match your budget perfectly.

I would trust Scubatoys to sell you decent gear. Get it, and learn how to use it properly. You can always get something different if your needs change.

almitywife:
Daniel... im not a bpw drone but OP originally had a list of equipment and by our & scubatoys imput now is changing his mind with more knowledge and good for him in doing so.

as someone that has went down the track of trusting my LDS only to find out later on i wished i had made better choices i would have appreciated the honestly from other SB'ers

but personally, i dont think a bpw (or rear inflation) can be truely appreciated unless you first buy that unsuitable or uncomfortable bc & dive unhappily for a while :wink:
There also is a bit of safety factor... BP/W can present surface issues a new diver is not prepared to deal with or expect. Go with the BC, and learn a bit first.

Puffer Fish:
There also is a bit of safety factor... BP/W can present surface issues a new diver is not prepared to deal with or expect. Go with the BC, and learn a bit first.

I don't agree, Puff. Having learned to dive in a Zeagle Ranger, I thought the BP/W was easier. Ditching on the surface may be problematic, but can be learned with practice.

haha just to point out there is no foul play here, i was talking to todd from scubatoys, and he was asking me what i would prefer a back inflation or avest style, and I SAID back infalation but that i didnt think i could afford one because i thought they were all big buck... sooo no one hijacked me

MSilvia:
Nairobi huh? You'll definately want to get down to the Mombasa area for some dives on the coast.

Nairobi is roughly 300 miles from the coast. I don't know what the roads in Kenya are like, but if this was its neighbor Tanzania, the road into Daar Es Salaam is "so-so" by US Standards and I'd figure that that drive would take 7+ hours each way.

As such, I'd say that it looks beyond practical 'weekend' time budget trips, so I'd personally not bother to take my own full set of dive gear to Nairobi, unless I'm actually thinking about flying out to the Seychelles, Maldives, those islands off of Tanzania (whose name escapes me at the moment), etc.

A BP/W is a BackPlate/Wing type of BCD... Lots of folks here have taken that advice and been happy with it, and very few who've tried it say they don't like it.

Unfortunately, most people who say that they didn't like it get shouted down here on SB.

I'm one of those who've tried it and "don't like it".

When I've mentioned this in the past on Scubaboard, I've been told that its all myth or improper weighting or other "hogwash" excuses.

Thanks, but I'm a Mechanical Engineer who's now in my 4th decade of diving and I actually took the effort to do the buoyancy/ballast vector force analysis. There are issues.

In a nutshell, a Wing is fine while horizontal underwater, but when vertical (such as at the surface), the BP/W's rear buoyancy bias becomes a small imbalance. When used with the 'floaty' AL80 that one finds at most tropical resorts, this imbalance grows. And in my case, I also have the extra mass of my Nikonos UW camera system weighting down in front, which causes this imbalance torque to grow yet again.

This imbalance is nothing insurmountable for a short surface float, but I've experienced dives where the chase boat lost us and we were floating for a half hour, and in 2-3ft seas, its nice to have your nose more than 1/4" clear of the water. This is when a 'slight tendency' thus becomes a safety problem.

I don't dispute that a BP/W is the correct configuration that is need for heavy steel doubles for tech/cave diving. However, I am concerned that the highly vocal SB Wing Fan Club (SBWFC) subscribes to the opinion that effectively argues that it makes sense to buy the tech gear on Day 1 because "everyone" will eventually become a technical diver wearing doubles and thus need it. Thanks, but tech isn't even 20% of the diving public, let alone 80%, to financially justify such an approach.

Yes, I'm ready to go back to a Jacket. Only problem is that I need the SBWFC guys to put their money where their mouth is, to pony up $500 to buy my current Wing setup so that I won't catch as much grief from my wife about the money I wasted on it.

Finally, I don't dispute that there's some lousy Jacket designs out there. But these are mostly designs from more a decade ago. And the fact that the "taco" problem exists with some Wings with single tanks illustrates that no system is perfect.

-hh

We're getting a little sidetracked here, but while we are already on a tangent...

We all learned to doff/don a BC underwater in the confined water parts of our OW class, correct? So why wouldn't people practice the same basic OW skill with any new BC, regardless of type?

For the record, I cover all this in my predive checks with any new dive buddies: "My equipment is a little different than yours; here are the BP/W releases, my knife/shears are here, you can simply cut the harness off if absolutely necessary, in an ooo I would donate the hose I'm breathing off of because I know it works, etc."

John

Back
Top Bottom