OK, help me here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharpenu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know you are all getting tired of answering BP questions, but I am hoping to avoid common pitfalls that cost $$$, so bear with me.

I am looking at weight and trim issues and I think I can make this work, if the following wing mates well with the hammerhead steel plate. Namely, can this work, cam bands and all, with the hammerhead plate, both with and without an STA?

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/OMSSB32.html

If so, I am planning on going with the above wing and the hammerhead plate. I will add and remove the appropriate sta to compensate for my exposure protection. This should minimize any add on weight. This will minimize weight around my waist and will cost about the same. Since I am planning to dive warm water, I will frequently be diving without a wetsuit. To facilitate this, I will also attach this:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/OMSBP.html

The weight works out very well. The steel BP would make me neutral in salt water with no wetsuit and an empty steel tank. The 2 piece sta will equal my lighter wetsuit, while the heavy STA will do for the thicker one. Changing out the steel tank for an al80 will compensate for the salt/fresh difference.

What do all of you think? Is this do-able? Will it work as I intend?

Backplate will work fine. The OMS uses 11" centers. The Hammerheadscuba plate uses 11" centers. The wing and plate should be fine. As for all of the other items I think you will have to assemble your kit, play with it in a pool, then go diving.

Hop, the slots for STA-less use don't necessarily line up. There's no standard for that.

I agree with johnnythan about the cambands slots, they may or may not align.

it's easier and cheaper to add or remove weight from a trim pocket than change the STA, I would suggest leaving the less posible weight in your waist and trim for the wetsuit in some integrated form (ditchable or not).

Anyway, you'll have to tinker some with your weight to achieve your goal.

Good luck and have fun

Here's the data I've collected so far about plates and wings: http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/bpwing.html - The current Hammerhead plate has a 5.5" spacing between cam band slots - I do not have the current data on OMS wings yet, so if someone can measure between them (keep in mind that manufacturers change specs occassionaly) you'll have a general idea if they match up. Halcyon have a 3" spacing, DiveRite has a variable 3"-5.5" If nothing else, please let me know if you get it as I'll add the specs to the chart for the next person looking at this combination...

P.S. It was pointed out to me that the only way to assure complete compatibility is to get both from the same manufacturer...

Back
Top Bottom