Oil's/ointments/whatever for straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have any suggestions for an oil/ointment/something to put on fin straps to prevent them from cracking? Also, any suggestions for an oil for masks to keep them in good condition?

--Lord1234

lord1234:
Does anyone have any suggestions for an oil/ointment/something to put on fin straps to prevent them from cracking? Also, any suggestions for an oil for masks to keep them in good condition?

--Lord1234

I have to admit I've never been plagued by "cracking straps" on my fins. The only thing I've ever used has been some silicon spray in the foot pockets to ease getting in & out of the fins. Nothing on the straps.

Are your straps actually cracking, or are you looking to avert what you see as a possible problem?

Meanwhile, I would advise against putting ANYTHING on your mask; it will simply wind up on the lenses & muck them up.

If strap breakage is a problem on your mask, you may want to consider something like a "slap strap" or other non-silicon strap.

Pax,

Great idea as far as preventative maitenance is concerned at first blush, but I wouldnt put any oils, or creams on the equipment. Just lots of fresh water and store it in a cool dry place. If you do your next boat ride is going to be very interesting. :burnout:

The oil will prevent good footing as you kit up. Silicone spray applied carefully and allowed to dry has some good applications, but, be very careful. That stuf has caused some comical but potentially very serious mishaps.

Back
Top Bottom