oil rigs off Texas coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In case I haven't said it here- I am a pre-newbie. Hopefully will take my class in June.
I live near Surfside, Tx. and am at the water frequently. From Surfside one can see at least 1 rig from the beach- I'm guessing 2-3 miles out. Can a person dive at those- is there any visibility?
99.9 % of the time our water around Freeport and Surfside looks like chocolate milk. However, once or twice a year the water calms and it turns a Florida-ish almost emerald green. You can actually see your feet clearly in chest deep water. I don't know what circumstances cause this phenomenon, and I wish there was a way to know when this is about to happen.

I wouldn't want to dive those rigs a few miles off. You're better off catching a boat and going 20+ miles off shore to the good rigs. But one thing, since you'll be a newbie, make sure you have your buoyancy down pat! When you're diving a rig, there's no bottom to rest your knees against, and you don't want to be grabbing on to the rig legs.

PvilleStang:
I wouldn't want to dive those rigs a few miles off. You're better off catching a boat and going 20+ miles off shore to the good rigs. But one thing, since you'll be a newbie, make sure you have your buoyancy down pat! When you're diving a rig, there's no bottom to rest your knees against, and you don't want to be grabbing on to the rig legs.
Thanks, I'll take the advice. Incidently, why do I not want to grab the rig legs?
Spencer

They're reefs.

Unless they have been recently "scrubbed", they'll be covered with all sorts of life forms, many of which do not appreciate being grabbed by divers.

I second the "wait until you are NOT a newbie" sentiment. The bottom is a LONG ways down there!

Being a living reef, some of the critters that live on the structure are razor sharp (i.e. barnicles.) Even with neoprene gloves on you can cut your hands to the bone by grabbing the structure in the wrong place.

I touch the rigs every time I dive on them. Akona makes some nice kevla glave that will help your hands from getting cut. Many time I even sit on the cross-members and my 3mil has several cut to show the proof. You just have to watch where you are grabbing and sitting. Cause a urchin might hurt a little.

As it has been said, farther out is the way to go. It would probably be best to dive closer to home at first. Currents, a bottom beyond your limits, waves and a host of other things can be stressful when you are starting out. The best thing to do is build some experience until you are comfortable before trekking that way. 20 miles from shore is a bad place to get into trouble. In the meantime this is a good site to get info by doing some searches and posting.

I have to agree with Goose. Get comfortable with gear and diving before ventureing to the rigs. I think I have like 50 dives in Blue Lagoon and Twin lakes before ever getting in the water around a rig.

Then once you do want to spread you wings it is a good idea buddy up with someone that is experienced rig diving.

Spencermm:
In case I haven't said it here- I am a pre-newbie. Hopefully will take my class in June.
I live near Surfside, Tx. and am at the water frequently. From Surfside one can see at least 1 rig from the beach- I'm guessing 2-3 miles out. Can a person dive at those- is there any visibility?
99.9 % of the time our water around Freeport and Surfside looks like chocolate milk. However, once or twice a year the water calms and it turns a Florida-ish almost emerald green. You can actually see your feet clearly in chest deep water. I don't know what circumstances cause this phenomenon, and I wish there was a way to know when this is about to happen.

Good luck in your O/W class,,,,take your time and have fun....plenty of inland waters to get the dives in prior to hitting the rigs. As far as touching anything pretty much in the ocean....best just to keep your hands to yourself when possible, gloves or no gloves. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom