oil rig diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vladimir:
How are all you literati at writing in Dutch?

Thanks, Vlad.

(You read my mind)

'quatch

DeepSeaDan:
"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep - like my Grandfather did...........................................not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car......

ROFLMAO! Thanks DeepSeaDan. That is the best laugh I've had for a while. Geez, my sides are still hurting.

DeepSeaDan:
So where are you working? What barge / vessel are you on & what exactly is your job? Pardon the questions, but it is rare that I find someone contributing to this board who is active in oilfield diving, thus my curiosity.

I'm on the M/V Kingfisher, a 300' multipurpose ship with workclass ROV, 6 man sat system, and very little deck space left over. My diving background isn't commercial diving, but recreational, however I am currently the safety officer and dive medic on the vessel. I've worked for this company (Onyx) and previously Superior Dive Company on a couple different barges.

I'm finishing up on this vessel in the middle of July (unless they offer me a huge raise) and heading back overseas to work as a firefighter/medic, but until then it is a somewhat interesting, generally easy paycheck. :)

Take care. astn.

tracker:
ROFLMAO! Thanks DeepSeaDan. That is the best laugh I've had for a while. Geez, my sides are still hurting.

...glad you enjoyed the giggler - I saw it on a commercial board & made it my own.

I see you were once a Phillipines man - I did a Manilla - Subic Bay - Angeles run in 1985 after an aborted salvage mission in the Sts. of Taiwan ( see my posts for that gripping tale of high-seas piracy! ). What I remember most of that trip was the singularly astonshing attractiveness of the local ladies...

As another Fire-Medic, may you keep it hot & wrap it tight!

Regards,
D.S.D./ F.M.D.

Ok let me see here DeepSeaDiverDan since it seems you have done (at least what it sounds like) commercial diving before I want to know what you do like welder or another industrial skill you got? and if you have done comm diving for awhile did you lose the thrill out of sport diving? alot of comm divers i've talked too that use sport dive in the past and got into comm diving lost the thrill out sport diving.

How come so many sport divers (like astn) are working on rigs but yet they don't wanna be the ones doing the work like out in the gulf? where you can easily land a dive job. Is it risk of death underwater? because I think sport diving is more deadly then commercial diving, hear alot more stories of sport diving accidents then commercial ones. Maybe it is they just don't feel like doing the back-breaking work? OR that they are aware that only certain type of people that have strong dive attitudes and who the working will... can take the job! Also correct me if I am wrong DeepSeaDiverDan but that most *deaths* of commercial divers are not even the divers fault but other improper mechanical issues...

Here is a good story of someones first commercial dive that always scares the daylights out of newbie divers waiting to make there first commercial dive this one was even reviewed by the coast guard prompting new regulations, etc!

few years ago in THE GULF! a single diver getting ready to make a solo first comm dive he was wearing a borrowed helmet, and *NO* bailout bottle his job was to carry a crossover line between the dive vessel moon pool and its stern to serve as a downlink to the water work site during a saturated dive. They said the diver was alittle nervous but this being his first solo comm dive can understand, so when he went down in the water he said to slack diver and soon turned on his free-flow valve. After that his voice started to sound odd they were talking about depth when all sudden the divers speech was no understandable so they halted the dive and pulled the diver out, his umbilical was still attached but his helmet was off and the diver was dead after doing cpr for like an hour. The reason for this death was a system that works with upper surface air machine was linked to saturation system by ball valve and that check valve to allow for compressed air blow-downs of the vessel's dive chambers. These have o-rings which was replaced before the dive but the valves were not placed back in the right position which meant the diver was drown in helium gas that got into the air supply line and that the diver unlocked his helmet which why it was off.

maybe scary things like this scares alot of newbies off but I just want to know your take DeepSeaDiverDan or astn. Thanks

Always descending,
c.h.

Here you have it...Two "instructors" giving "instructions" on disrespectful behavior...Good job slamming someone who doesn't quite have the "experience" level you "instructors" do. I feel sorry for those you "instruct"...

I'm still waiting on DeepSeaDiverDan response as to what type of commercial diving he does.... this Rawls member got me excited thinking it was DeepSeaDiverDan but no of course it isn't! Where u at Dan :) I want to know everything about you and commercial diving :D

Always descending,
c.h.

Back
Top Bottom