oil rig diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've made 11 commercial dives with instructors before but never on my own and i'm still learning DeepSeaDiverDan and I want to be able to ask you questions.... Can I send you email or Private tell?

rawls:
Here you have it...Two "instructors" giving "instructions" on disrespectful behavior...Good job slamming someone who doesn't quite have the "experience" level you "instructors" do. I feel sorry for those you "instruct"...

...if you have a minute, would you mind deciphering the quote above - I have no idea what you are saying / trying to say...

Thanks Rawls,

Regards,
D.S.D.

I'm a mite curious too.

Knight:
I've made 11 commercial dives with instructors before but never on my own and i'm still learning DeepSeaDiverDan and I want to be able to ask you questions.... Can I send you email or Private tell?

...sorry mate - was offline for awhile.

You are most welcome to drop me a private message, & I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

Regards,
D.S.D.

Knight:
Ok let me see here DeepSeaDiverDan since it seems you have done (at least what it sounds like) commercial diving before I want to know what you do like welder or another industrial skill you got? and if you have done comm diving for awhile did you lose the thrill out of sport diving? alot of comm divers i've talked too that use sport dive in the past and got into comm diving lost the thrill out sport diving.

How come so many sport divers (like astn) are working on rigs but yet they don't wanna be the ones doing the work like out in the gulf? where you can easily land a dive job. Is it risk of death underwater? because I think sport diving is more deadly then commercial diving, hear alot more stories of sport diving accidents then commercial ones. Maybe it is they just don't feel like doing the back-breaking work? OR that they are aware that only certain type of people that have strong dive attitudes and who the working will... can take the job! Also correct me if I am wrong DeepSeaDiverDan but that most *deaths* of commercial divers are not even the divers fault but other improper mechanical issues...

Here is a good story of someones first commercial dive that always scares the daylights out of newbie divers waiting to make there first commercial dive this one was even reviewed by the coast guard prompting new regulations, etc!

few years ago in THE GULF! a single diver getting ready to make a solo first comm dive he was wearing a borrowed helmet, and *NO* bailout bottle his job was to carry a crossover line between the dive vessel moon pool and its stern to serve as a downlink to the water work site during a saturated dive. They said the diver was alittle nervous but this being his first solo comm dive can understand, so when he went down in the water he said to slack diver and soon turned on his free-flow valve. After that his voice started to sound odd they were talking about depth when all sudden the divers speech was no understandable so they halted the dive and pulled the diver out, his umbilical was still attached but his helmet was off and the diver was dead after doing cpr for like an hour. The reason for this death was a system that works with upper surface air machine was linked to saturation system by ball valve and that check valve to allow for compressed air blow-downs of the vessel's dive chambers. These have o-rings which was replaced before the dive but the valves were not placed back in the right position which meant the diver was drown in helium gas that got into the air supply line and that the diver unlocked his helmet which why it was off.

maybe scary things like this scares alot of newbies off but I just want to know your take DeepSeaDiverDan or astn. Thanks

Always descending,
c.h.

...quite a story Knight! I profess to never having heard of that particular incident before, but things like that, regretably, do happen. I can't comment on the incident per se as I do not have all the salient facts to make an informed opinion. Suffice to say that in my 10 years of commercial oilfield diving I witnessed several incidents, though none resulted in a fatality. The incidents were either purely accidental due to unforseen complications, or were the result of diver error on the bottom. As a diving crew, we make every effort to maintain our systems in peak operating condition; we train & drill for emergency situations as time allows on the job; we make safe diving practices a religion, yet accidents still happen. The best we can do is to keep on learning, & make the necessary changes to procedures / protocols & equipment configurations when proven necessary.

Know this Knight: the day you leave dive school & walk onto your first job is the day your REAL education begins. School can only introduce you to the basics; it is on-the-job where you truly learn the profession.

A bit of advice heading out...

> Keep your mouth closed & your ears open

> Work very, very hard

> 1st impressions truly last a LONG time - make your 1st impression count!

> Ask if you don't understand - it's expected

> Follow the rules - do your work as instructed - take NO shortcuts

> If you see a job that needs doing & you are qualified to do it - do it without being
told. It WILL be noticed by those who count

> Most importantly...have a good attitude! Be positive. Don't complain outloud - if you
have a concern, seek out the one who can help you privately & discuss it.

> Be on time. Be loyal. Be dependable.

> Continually strive to learn more & better yourself professionally.

You have to distinguish yourself from the pack Mr. Knight. Work hard, keep your nose clean & you'll make a career for yourself.

Best of luck!

Regards,
D.S.D.

Thalassamania:
I'm a mite curious too.

Yah, Lots of hard to understand people on this thread.

~Marlinspike

Thanks for the newbie advice DeepSeaDiverDan you can tell you been doing this along while and even with all the instructors advice/answers that I can obtain it's still awsome to know that I can hop up online and ask you things.

You say you been into the comm dive rig business for 10+years DiverDan do you mind if I ask what your skill is ? do you survey the rigs? or maybe what I do, welder? do you work deep or shallow? all I can do right now is shallow training (which I don't mind at this point) the deeper you go the more problems for the rookie.

On another note I will say that i'm not at all scared of doing any of this work since the school i'm in will not let anything go wrong it's that when i'm back home or working on a rig for the first time doing my work that at first I may get nervous just not diving but that some mechanical issue will happen how do you make sure that everything mechanical is in place and good to go? do you as a diver double check the mechanical things? what kind of bailout bottle or procedures do you have in case something goes wrong? do you work under umbilical or bottle? and also you say you have seen some incidents that happen to divers during touchdown (at the bottom) can you name one or two and then say how you or the team corrected the problem? i'm sorry for all these questions and I hope you don't mind em even if they sound alittle off but i'm a rookie and if your not asking questions at this stage then you won't know what to do in situations. Thanks again and dive safe Dan!

Always descending,
c.h.

Dan have you heard of this company before? easy to get in and hear there starting pay is great...

DivCon, LLC

A Diving / Consulting Co.

NOW HIRING

DivCon, LLC is a commercial diving company now in its seventh year of operation. We are located in Morgan City, Louisiana, for efficient deployment to the central Gulf of Mexico. Most of our projects are involved with the oil and gas industry concerning pipeline & platform installation, inspection, repair and maintenance.

We conduct operations in offshore and inshore waters, both shallow and deep. We also operate a regional office in Owensboro, Kentucky, to service industrial plants along the Mississippi River as well as lock and dam repairs and maintenance.

We are qualified to perform work for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and have been a member of the Association of Diving Contractors International for over five years.

DivCon, LLC is currently hiring qualified:

? Commercial Diving Supervisors

? Commercial Divers

? Tenders

? Qualified Dive Equipment Technician

Hiring both experienced personnel, as well as new graduates, to work both offshore and inland.

All applicants will be expected to be graduates of an accredited Commercial Diving College, have their credentials up to date and ready to present at their interview. The ability to pass a DOT 5 panel drug screen and background check will be a pre-requisite for hire.

Experienced personnel shall have a current resume detailing work history and experience, dive college diploma, current dive physical, CPR / First Aid / 02 Supplement, ADCI Certification card, current dive log, and valid helmet inspection.

Entry level graduates shall have their diploma and other certifications ready to present at their interview and have the ability to learn from experienced field personnel, what school cannot teach you.

Applicants who do not possess the ability to learn and work with experienced personnel, need not apply.

DivCon offers:

?Competitive Wages Based on Experience

?Sign-On Bonus

?Health Insurance

?Hazardous Pay

?Depth Pay

?Steady, Long Term Work Projects

?Personal Protective Gear

?DOT Operator Qualification Training

Interested applicants may apply Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM

To:

DivCon, LLC

A Diving / Consulting Co.

8120 US Hwy. 182 East

Morgan City, Louisiana

Contact Operations Manager – Randy Howie

Phone – (985) 385-9911

Fax – (985) 385-9919

Or

E-mail Detailed Current Resume’

To:

divcon188@aol.com

You can write better in English then I can in Dutch.
Looks like an interesting show worth checking out!

Back
Top Bottom