Oil consumption?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

William McDaniel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all. I just picked up an Utilus 10 electric that had 190ish hours on it. I changed the air intake filter, belt, filter and oil change. Owner manual states 12 oz to refill. After filling the 12 oz it was dead on perfect. After filling my first two tanks I checked the oil and it was halfway down between the min and max. I’m still working through the details of this compressor but so far I’m impressed. Is that normal, something I should be worried about? I plan on adding a little more to get it back up to max. Thanks for the help. I fill my own because the closest LDS is over 90 miles away.

It is not normal. Normal oil consumption for a good running unit is an ounce or 2 over several hundred hours. Usually if a bauer is consuming oil it can be 2 things. 1 is oil pressure is too high. Should be between 800- 900psi. Or the final stage piston/ sleeve is worn. Depending on the age of the unit, the final piston will have rings or a solid piston with no rings. I'd pay attention to the condensate drain. Tell tale of it pushing oil is excessive oil in the condensate bucket.

It is not normal. Normal oil consumption for a good running unit is an ounce or 2 over several hundred hours. Usually if a bauer is consuming oil it can be 2 things. 1 is oil pressure is too high. Should be between 800- 900psi. Or the final stage piston/ sleeve is worn. Depending on the age of the unit, the final piston will have rings or a solid piston with no rings. I'd pay attention to the condensate drain. Tell tale of it pushing oil is excessive oil in the condensate bucket.

Thank you for the info! I called Bauer tech support today. They said since the unit sat for so long to top it off and run it again. I filled two more tanks today and it did not lose a bit.

Thank you for the info! I called Bauer tech support today. They said since the unit sat for so long to top it off and run it again. I filled two more tanks today and it did not lose a bit.

I would be interested to know of oil made it into the filter and tanks.

Back
Top Bottom