Ohana Critter ID List.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
This is a list with the information that you have supplied in our Showcase threads. This thread will be locked and only added to when we profile a new critter or when new info on a critter is supplied and it needs to be updated..

Authors are:

Catherine
Loikai
Shaka Doug
Jcsgt
Turtleguy9
Justleesa

Photographers:

TSandM
Justleesa
Catherine

Damsel fish

Chocolate Dip Chromis

damsel_in_distress.jpg
Hawaiian Dascyllus

Hawaiian Rock Damselfish
Hawaiian Sergeant
Oval Chromis
Three spotted Chromis

Pufferfish and Porcupinefish

P1018910.jpg
Hawaiian Whitespotted Toby

Wrasses

Saddle Wrasse

Hawaiian Dascyllus
Dascyllus Albisella
Hawaiian Domino Damselfish
Hawaiian name: Alo'ilo'i

Original thread

0ceeed20.jpg

Picture courtesy of TSandM

liokai:
Lots of courting and mating going on there. For those not aware, the Domino Damsel will change color to almost all white during courting and mating, which will only last a few minutes. Then the male guards the nest and chirps at anything coming too close. Males will fight against anything that is black in color, as if to defend its turf or nest. They don't start mating until the males are 7 years old and the females are 5 years old, but once they start they don't like to stop. Average life term is 35 years

When asked how often the fish mate and if they always have the same partner for life, the response was:

liokai:
How often? Very. Almost constant. Since the female lays the eggs (on the surface of rocks) and the male deposits sperm on top of the eggs creating the nest, I must assume that they are not "faithful" to each other. I forgot to add that they color change to almost completely black at night, and yes they are extremely territorial.

shaka doug:
We sometimes like to call them "Oreo Cookie Fish" over here on Maui!

damsel_in_distress.jpg

photo courtesy of Justleesa

Catherine:
Supposedly Dominoes live their entire lifespan around a single coral head where they started.

Hawaiian Whitespotted Toby
Canthigaster Jactator

Original Thread
Milletseed_and_Haw_Whitespotted_Toby.jpg

lisa:
These small white spotted little fellas are the most common Hawaiian Toby. Some are irregularly spotted on their snout or body (black blotches).They dodge in and out of the reef and I often see them hovering watching me watching them. Although small and seemingly shy these little buggahs are not afaid to have it out with the big guys. They will take cookie bites out of the fin of a much larger fish.
On night dives I have seen them resting on a piece of coral, as if they were taking a nap.
We've seen them up to about 50'
Oh and would you believe it? they have no known Hawaiian name :wink:

Catherine:

Jcsgt:
They remind me of sharpnose puffers.

Lisa :
Good eye! From what I have read they are from the same family.

P1018910.jpg

Turtleguy9:
Toby's can get up to about 4" long

Lisa:
Got a couple more pictures yesterday and was lucky to get a picture of a juv. Hawaiian Toby. They are less bold than the grown ups and hardly stay still
P1019051.jpg

P1019052.jpg

this one is about 3/4"

Shaka Doug asked
Does anyone know why their bellies get all fat and irregular shaped sometimes? I've seen many that look like they just ate a bunch of small pebbles or coral debris. Some look as though they could burst at any second!

the answer was found on the internet:
Some tobys are so infested with parasitic worms that they appear to be inflated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom