Oh no! My 72s are too small for tech classes! :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Some things just make me scratch my head. This is one of them

I’ve run into a handful of divers in person and online who love their 72s for doubles or SM, but when they sign up for tech classes, find out their 72s are too small for tech diving and then have to scramble to borrow appropriate tanks for class.

I wonder where they got the idea they wouldn’t need bigger tanks for classes.

shouldn't the size of your tanks be based on the size of you?

80s are minimum size

what if you overfill the 72's?

I'm kidding, of course. That sucks.

Based on the size of you and the size of your buddy. Some of the gas is theirs.

Some things just make me scratch my head. This is one of them

I’ve run into a handful of divers in person and online who love their 72s for doubles or SM, but when they sign up for tech classes, find out their 72s are too small for tech diving and then have to scramble to borrow appropriate tanks for class.

I wonder where they got the idea they wouldn’t need bigger tanks for classes.

For class, maybe.

But, in real life, I have a pair of LP72s I use whenever I do boat dives and know that I'm planning to get into deco (along with a pony of O2) and that I'll be diving without Helium.

My general calculation / thought is that if I'm going to be in the zone where I want/need doubles but not Helium (let's just say 30-40m) then I might just use small double 72s. Any deeper and I'm going to want Helium and then I want my rebreather.

I understand why they might mandate 80s as minimum for a class, but I've found double LP72s to be great for specific types of dives. Luckily, I'm done taking any type of OC class and don't have to worry about that. :)

- brett

Dive what you want to dive. The 72s look nice. :). Imagine you’ve been diving 72s for a while. You want to do a tech class in a month or two. You’re talking to instructor, find out your 72s aren’t sufficient size for class, and now you’ve got to scrounge for loaners.

It would seem that way but until you are diving tech solo you have to carry gas for yourself and your buddy, just like recreational.

It’s been awhile since I did the calculations but as I recall, it is not unusual for the smaller buddy (lower sac) to carry larger tanks just to cover their larger (higher sac) buddy.

Does that mean you are incentivised to find tiny but strong buddies, so you have less reserve to carry? :p

it is not unusual for the smaller buddy (lower sac) to carry larger tanks just to cover their larger (higher sac) buddy.

I dive 85s. Anything longer and they’ll be past my knees. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom