Oh my, its a big shark...breath slowly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like you were diving the "Idene" she's an old fishing trawler that was sitting at the dock rotting away and some how just found its way one night to a nice dive spot and mysteriously sank upright???? It is what we call the Hollywood Wreck here in Rhode Island.
If that is the case I have seen as well as a few others a Mako that likes to frequent the wreck and scare the $#*! out of the other divers, we have had no issues with it we respect it and it seems to respect us.
Hope this might give you yor answer.

A word about statistics...
While I totally agree that statisctially, there are all sorts of things that are more likely to happen to you than shark attack, the numbers are not entirely appropriate for general comarisons. Not eveyone dives, so to spread the risk evenly among the entire population of both divers and non-divers is not accurate.

So if the stats indicate that there was one shark attach for 100 people, that would indicate you have about a 1% chance of being attacked, right? But what if you dont go in the water at all, do you still have a 1% chance? Of course not, you have no chance. And if you are in the water a lot, is your chance much greater? Of course.

Once again, not trying to say that stats are misleading in their trend (it is a small risk), but you would have to do some additional sorting and calculations to find out how at risk pople are who spend a lot of time in the water. The general numbers just don't pertain.

JAG

I'm a little late to this party, but I've fished in shark tourney's for a few years out of OB (July), and have seen blues, porbeagles, threshers, and makos as the predominant species. As Matt indicated, Mako's (and also Blues & threshers) like temps in the 60's, and you would not expect them in these waters until late June. However, Porbeagles, which are often mistaken for Mako's, love the really cold water, and can grow to 10 feet. GW's, who knows?

My buddy told me there was a bull shark sighted off the Pinthis (Scituate area) last summer. Here's my favorite local website for New England sharks, showing the predominant months for various species. (Notice it doesn't mention bulls - heh, heh.)

http://newenglandsharks.com/monthly species.htm

Here's the link (same site) showing the tournament results for the last few years:
http://www.newenglandsharks.com/shark.htm

Check out the 1221 lb mako!

I've only been diving these waters for a year now, and have yet to see a local shark. I'm glad I dive wet - it'll make cleaning my suit a bit easier!

Back
Top Bottom