Oh my, its a big shark...breath slowly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eklipso

Registered
Reaction score
I've gone diving numerous times (although I still consider myself a novice) in warm regions of the world. Anyways, after my last trip to Cozumel (I was going to dive in G. Cayman, but didn't), I decided to try some cold water diving.

I went out two days ago off the coast of Block Island for a 95 ft wreck dive. About 5 min into 90-95 feet, I notice a glimmer of movement about 15 feet above me at (max vis - was about 20 feet, may have been even closer). What do I see when I look up, but a BIG shark. I'm not great at identifying sharks, but it was enormous....I couldn't even see its whole body. Normally I don't get nervous around reefs because white tips etc. don't attack people during the day. This was no reef and this was a large predator. I lurked a bit deeper and found refuge along the side of the wreck for a few min with my buddy who also saw the shark. We eventually went along the other side of the wreck, took it easy for 10 min and surfaced (needless to say, we skipped the safety stops, but ascended very slowly and cautiously).

Anyone else see something like this? What do you do?

EC

Where is Block Island, Eklipso, that would help. Sure it wasn't a whale?

Sounds like it could have been a whale shark

Block island is off the coast of Long Island, New York. It wasn't a whale shark...If I'm correct, whale sharks have spots and a flatter head. The belly of this shark was silvery. Because the water was murky, if it was dark/spotted, I'm not sure I would have seen it as clearly.

EC

Sandtiger perhaps?
Eklipso:
Block island is off the coast of Long Island, New York.
May I recommend that you update your profile to tell us where you're from (this will appear under your name at left).

Roak

Eklipso:
I've gone diving numerous times (although I still consider myself a novice) in warm regions of the world. Anyways, after my last trip to Cozumel (I was going to dive in G. Cayman, but didn't), I decided to try some cold water diving.

I went out two days ago off the coast of Block Island for a 95 ft wreck dive. About 5 min into 90-95 feet, I notice a glimmer of movement about 15 feet above me at (max vis - was about 20 feet, may have been even closer). What do I see when I look up, but a BIG shark. I'm not great at identifying sharks, but it was enormous....I couldn't even see its whole body. Normally I don't get nervous around reefs because white tips etc. don't attack people during the day. This was no reef and this was a large predator. I lurked a bit deeper and found refuge along the side of the wreck for a few min with my buddy who also saw the shark. We eventually went along the other side of the wreck, took it easy for 10 min and surfaced (needless to say, we skipped the safety stops, but ascended very slowly and cautiously).

Anyone else see something like this? What do you do?

EC

Sounds like you had your first encounter with a great white in the wild. I only say that because they've been spotted down in St. Augustine FL (about 70 miles north of Daytona). Just check out this article:

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/011804/spo_14568500.shtml

Semper Safe,

Rick

Wow! What a treat! I had no idea that you could go diving off of Block Island.

Were you guys on doubles? Current, 100ft on a wreck w/ a large shark lurking about... hmm...

Hantzu

Block Island is part of Rhode Island but boats from Montauk (tip of Long Island) cruise over to wrecks around Block Island.

Were you diving the Blackpoint? (Sunk by the U-853 also in this area of course). I dive in this area all the time during the summer.

Please tell more!

--Matt

My friend seems to think it was a sandtiger, not a great white because he said if it was a great white, I wouldn't be around to post this message.

There are a few wrecks off of block island that are really nice - this was my first wreck there, but my friend has his own boat and gear, so we went out. I'm still a novice, but he's logged well over 300 dives and I've never met anyone more experienced. He's also a sailor - races sailboats during the summer. We were using 2 tanks and were planning on staying down longer than we did. Needless to say, we didn't dive that spot again. My gear was a scubapro mx25 s600 and oneill dry suit. I used an extra dive computer and gauges from him with his other gear. I had some difficulty breathing with my scuba pro and my friend told me that it was most likely because i was nervous rather than the cold-ass temperature of the water. I was told that there is a shop in Syosset, Long Island (i can find out the name) that sets up dives all over LI including block island trips.

EC

Eklipso:
My friend seems to think it was a sandtiger, not a great white because he said if it was a great white, I wouldn't be around to post this message.

There are a few wrecks off of block island that are really nice - this was my first wreck there, but my friend has his own boat and gear, so we went out. I'm still a novice, but he's logged well over 300 dives and I've never met anyone more experienced. He's also a sailor - races sailboats during the summer. We were using 2 tanks and were planning on staying down longer than we did. Needless to say, we didn't dive that spot again. My gear was a scubapro mx25 s600 and oneill dry suit. I used an extra dive computer and gauges from him with his other gear. I had some difficulty breathing with my scuba pro and my friend told me that it was most likely because i was nervous rather than the cold-ass temperature of the water. I was told that there is a shop in Syosset, Long Island (i can find out the name) that sets up dives all over LI including block island trips.
EC

The fact that you're here does not mean the shark was not a Great White. Sharks don't often go after people unless they confuse us for a seal (surfer on a board with legs over the side) or we have "kabobs" for them via a spear gun. We do have GW's as well as Basking Sharks in New England though it is not terribly common to spot them. I have not heard of a Tiger Shark spotting in this area. I'm not a NE shark expert, this is just from my experience and observations in diving in this area for 8 years. The shark was probably long gone 10 minutes after your dive unless there was something it wanted to investigate or eat at that sight. Any marine biologists on board today to comment?

There are lots and lots of wrecks in the Block Island Sound. The U-853 is the most famous.

Please find out the name of the wreck. I would really like to know.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom