Ogden Pt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanQ:
Nice photos! What is the thing in your hand?

Glad you like the shots.

It's actually Steve's hand and it's a Pueget Sound King crab. Steve found it and it's got to be the smallest one I have ever seen. I wonder how old it is?

deepdiverbc:
I joined the group from Ocean Pro this Sunday and dove Ogden Point. The weather was beautifull and it was a great goup of people. Ocean Pro went to a lot of effort to make the trip run smooth and comfortable, reserving the ferry and offering everyone free water mellon, oranges and liquids. They even brought a tent!

Here are some photos from my two dives. My big find of the day was a Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker. It was the size of a large marble and was suctioned to a piece of kelp that was flapping around in the current so I was lucky to get a clear photo.

That's awesome that you had such a great day as well... and great photos. The Ocean Pro gang are a terrific group... and I say that not because I work there... lol. In fact, that's a big part of why I work and fun dive out of this shop :)
If you haven't already done so, you should join the dive club which meets (usually) the 3rd Thursday of each month. It's a good way to meet other divers and find out what's happening. The shop organizes an assortment of trips... to the Island, Hornby, even an annual camping trip (Galiano in July - was lots of fun) ...and this year, Bonaire (booked full and I'm not going... sob) . We're a fun bunch (if I do say so myself... hehe) and always welcome other divers.

On another note... the ratfish... we saw 2 just after descending at the fourth marker/flag. First time I've ever seen any. I wish I'd had a camera! I missed so many great photo ops.

DiverDebbie:
That's awesome that you had such a great day as well... and great photos. The Ocean Pro gang are a terrific group... and I say that not because I work there... lol. In fact, that's a big part of why I work and fun dive out of this shop :)
If you haven't already done so, you should join the dive club which meets (usually) the 3rd Thursday of each month. It's a good way to meet other divers and find out what's happening. The shop organizes an assortment of trips... to the Island, Hornby, even an annual camping trip (Galiano in July - was lots of fun) ...and this year, Bonaire (booked full and I'm not going... sob) . We're a fun bunch (if I do say so myself... hehe) and always welcome other divers.

On another note... the ratfish... we saw 2 just after descending at the fourth marker/flag. First time I've ever seen any. I wish I'd had a camera! I missed so many great photo ops.

I had fun with the club so might join on some more dives but Bonnaire is not in my budget. I might go to Thailand in a year but that will also be a family trip.

I have seen only one ratfish and it was on an early morning dive at sunrise. I thought they were mainly night critters so you were lucky to see two. It was definitely a day for weird creatures on Sunday.

Glad you enjoyed our little piece of prime dive real estate here in Victoria!! We really are spoiled with such a convenient dive site located close to downtown. I have to admit it's the quickest after work dive location... especially for a week night!!

Also glad to hear that you saw a whole variety of wild and wonderful creatures. I've dove Ogden a number of times and find it really varies from dive to dive. Some dives I see a whole lot of interesting and special creatures... Puget Sound King Crabs, Giant Pacific Octo's, Wolfeels, Grunt and Sailfin Sculpins, etc.. and other dives it seems like all I see are Lingcod, Plumose Anemone and Bull Kelp :p

Hmm.. I think I might have to go to Ogden on the weekend now.. :)

I was there this morning (Tuesday) out near the end and the viz was way worse than I expected. For all the years I've been diving here, viz has always been at least 30 feet in Aug/Sept/Oct. This year if I can see 15 feet, I think I'm lucky. Oh well. Maybe this is why the vis is so bad in the Strait of Juan De Fuca lately:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050817/ap_on_sc/ocean_crisis
Here are some video stills from the dive:

swankenstein:
I was there this morning (Tuesday) out near the end and the viz was way worse than I expected. For all the years I've been diving here, viz has always been at least 30 feet in Aug/Sept/Oct. This year if I can see 15 feet, I think I'm lucky. Oh well. Maybe this is why the vis is so bad in the Strait of Juan De Fuca lately:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050817/ap_on_sc/ocean_crisis
Here are some video stills from the dive:

Our first dive was 40 foot vis but the second afternoon dive was pretty bad after the tide came in. I don't know where it all came from. I almost thought a large ship had gotten too close and stirred the bottom.

Sounds like it stayed that way. Hope it clears up soon.

NavyDoll:
Glad you enjoyed our little piece of prime dive real estate here in Victoria!! We really are spoiled with such a convenient dive site located close to downtown. I have to admit it's the quickest after work dive location... especially for a week night!!

Also glad to hear that you saw a whole variety of wild and wonderful creatures. I've dove Ogden a number of times and find it really varies from dive to dive. Some dives I see a whole lot of interesting and special creatures... Puget Sound King Crabs, Giant Pacific Octo's, Wolfeels, Grunt and Sailfin Sculpins, etc.. and other dives it seems like all I see are Lingcod, Plumose Anemone and Bull Kelp :p

Hmm.. I think I might have to go to Ogden on the weekend now.. :)

It's a nice spot especially being so easy to get to. Have fun but I hope the vis is better than when I left. Reading Swankensteins post it might still be pretty poor.

Let us know if it clears up.

Back
Top Bottom