Ogden Pt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDebbie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
A group of about a dozen or so from Ocean Pro are heading over to dive Ogden Pt. this Sunday Aug. 14. Thought I'd mention the trip in case any one else is interested. If so, call the shop for details or to see about possible buddies and/or car-pooling.

DiverDebbie:
A group of about a dozen or so from Ocean Pro are heading over to dive Ogden Pt. this Sunday Aug. 14. Thought I'd mention the trip in case any one else is interested. If so, call the shop for details or to see about possible buddies and/or car-pooling.

You should make it over the night before for our night dive at 10mile point! As proclaimed by many, it is the best night dive in Victoria.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
You should make it over the night before for our night dive at 10mile point! As proclaimed by many, it is the best night dive in Victoria.

- ChillyWaters

hmmm... might be an idea! Although "the masses" are planning to get up at some godawful time to catch an early ferry, my dive buddy and I are in fact heading over to Victoria Sat. afternnoon. I haven't dove 10 Mile Pt. before, and since I don't know if he has, could you PM me with details on how to get there, time etc? Maybe we could even do a late afternoon/early evening dive first... How dependent on the tides is this site?

DiverDebbie:
hmmm... might be an idea! Although "the masses" are planning to get up at some godawful time to catch an early ferry, my dive buddy and I are in fact heading over to Victoria Sat. afternnoon. I haven't dove 10 Mile Pt. before, and since I don't know if he has, could you PM me with details on how to get there, time etc? Maybe we could even do a late afternoon/early evening dive first... How dependent on the tides is this site?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=white+rock+st,+saanich,+bc&spn=0.019603,0.039669&hl=en

It's at the end of White Rock St. There is a small parking lot there.

There is a very long slack current there, but we are diving between 9 and 10pm (_in_ the water at 9pm). 10 mile is the best spot in Victoria, but you can only dive on slack, as otherwise you'll get flung around the corner and your dive will be over.

Please note the Victoria Monthly Scubaboard dive thread if you want to know who's coming, etc.

There is kelp in the shallows, but then there is a wall that falls to 80ft at the right (facing the wall), but drops down deeper as you go to the left. You can see everything here, and you have to be careful, as the entire wall is alive. You won't be able to touch the wall without killing something (no joke).

If you're coming over to do Ogden, I can only stress that you'd really be missing out if you didn't do 10 mile. If you do it without our group though, PLEASE consult the current tables (or talk to a local dive shop to read them for you).

Cheers,
ChillyWaters

hey thanks for the info Chilly. It sounds like a fabulous site. I was just browsing through some of the other 10 mile (forgive me if I happen to screw up and say 8 mile.. lol :wink: related threads and checking out the pictures. Maybe we'll see you there :)

ChillyWaters:
you can only dive on slack, as otherwise you'll get flung around the corner and your dive will be over

Unless you plan on getting out and walking back the the entrance site.

This gives me a strange urge to try drifting from Spring Bay to Ten Mile...

DiverDebbie:
A group of about a dozen or so from Ocean Pro are heading over to dive Ogden Pt. this Sunday Aug. 14. Thought I'd mention the trip in case any one else is interested. If so, call the shop for details or to see about possible buddies and/or car-pooling.[/QUOTE

I haven't dove there for a while so couldn't resist the offer. I called Dave and he is going to try to find space in the car pool.

Thanks for posting the trip.

Well, my first to trip to Ogden (finally!) and it was great! My buddy and I used DPVs to scoot out to marker 4 to find a wolf eel... which we did, along with about a half dozen or so other divers though. After our "turn" checking him out, we continued on and I found a second den, with not one, but 2 wolf eels. There was a juvenile in there too! ...dark orange with a more pointy head and sharp looking teeth. He was a bit shy but the adult was friendly and when we turned to leave came right out and swam all around us and through my legs :) The kelp forests are pretty cool too... oh, and saw a couple of rat fish as well. Awesome site, especially using DPVs to avoid the hike along the breakwater. Recommend it. Will definitely go back!

DiverDebbie:
Well, my first to trip to Ogden (finally!) and it was great! My buddy and I used DPVs to scoot out to marker 4 to find a wolf eel... which we did, along with about a half dozen or so other divers though. After our "turn" checking him out, we continued on and I found a second den, with not one, but 2 wolf eels. There was a juvenile in there too! ...dark orange with a more pointy head and sharp looking teeth. He was a bit shy but the adult was friendly and when we turned to leave came right out and swam all around us and through my legs :) The kelp forests are pretty cool too... oh, and saw a couple of rat fish as well. Awesome site, especially using DPVs to avoid the hike along the breakwater. Recommend it. Will definitely go back!
That's cool about the ratfish. The're pretty rare in Victoria. I've only seen them twice around here. Both times were in spring at the breakwater out past the second corner.

I joined the group from Ocean Pro this Sunday and dove Ogden Point. The weather was beautifull and it was a great goup of people. Ocean Pro went to a lot of effort to make the trip run smooth and comfortable, reserving the ferry and offering everyone free water mellon, oranges and liquids. They even brought a tent!

Here are some photos from my two dives. My big find of the day was a Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker. It was the size of a large marble and was suctioned to a piece of kelp that was flapping around in the current so I was lucky to get a clear photo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom