Offshore limits in RIB...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why was the shark in the boat?

Ok, I guess you have a point Nemrod, so I guess I best clarify :wink:

I would like advice on how far I should expect to be able to go out and come back safely with a 4.6M rigid floor inflatable with a 50hp outboard:)

However, from the more informative replies, I gather that <3 miles is pretty golden in fair weather, 3-8 ok if watch fuel and weather closely but is pushing luck a bit, and beyond 10 or so I'm counting heavily on God watching over fools.:D

Thanks to all who posted up, even Catherine:mooner: :D

Well any safe trip in any size boat also involves planning. This will also give you the flexibility to go "a little further" if you have better safety margins.

On a nice calm day, folks run single engine 20-something foot boats out 20-30 miles or more to fish/dive oil rigs, etc. Heck people have even been known to run to Bimini (50 miles east of Ft Lauderdale) and cross the Gulf Stream in a 20 foot boat. If you're gonna run long distances, most folks run dual engines. I've seen this on RIB's before, but it might not be practical on yours.

Of course you'd want to check weather reports, weather radar/fax. A "Float Plan" is very important. You can do fancy detailed plans but the most basic one is telling your wife/other (staying on shore) that "I'll be launching from ____ and going to the Exxon oil rig to fish/dive, the _____ reef, and ____. Expect me back at ____ but no later than _____. That way if you run into a problem, they will have a basis to start checking up on you.

A GPS & VHF Radio I see you already have on your list. If you're not going with a 'handheld' (since it's a RIB) and doing a mounted one, get one that has the GPS and radio linked together with DSC. that way if you are in distress, it will send the GPS coordinates for you instead of having to read them to someone who might not be able to clearly hear you or writes down the coordinates incorrectly won't make an error.

A cell phone is almost a given now days. I've used them 10 to 15 miles offshore, but that's pushing it. Of course that's all depending on service provider. example someone called me from the Oriskany sinking site which is 22 miles form P'cola pass. Their signal was very poor though and no one elses even worked.

I'd also suggest an extra "throwable" float and 100 foot of extra line to use as a 'tag line' in high current. Just in case you come up behind your boat. This has happened to many a diver.

Add flares to your rescue kit. Plan on replacing them annually (based on their life or expiration date). Keep them dry if they don't come in a dry box.

Nemrod had a good suggestion of a rule of thirds on fuel. If the SEAS get rough, you'll use much more fuel.

Hope all that helps :D

Hey mike, much more useful info in that post. I don't really plan on pushing 5 miles for a long time if ever, definately not till get some experience closer inshore. Various adventure sports I enjoy have taught me to know my limits, and approach them slowly under good conditions rather than run screaming past them regardless of conditions(unless I really have a thing for that ER nurse:wink: ).

Hopefully down the road a bit I will buy the 6-8M RIB I want, then can consider some real offshore diving from it, for first inflatable I will be fine with just getting out to the stuff beyond easy swim range, and using it to explore along shorelines in search of 'the spot'. As stated before, will mostly be used in Lake Travis, Canyon lake, and other 'swamper' watering holes, but will at some point be drawn to blue water with it( ok, blue-grey water at best probably unless diving off Yucatan or Florida penisula's with it).

Mostly wanted to get a general idea of the boats limits, which seem to extend beyond mine at this point. Only 'offshore' experience I have had with inflatables are bouncing my buddies around on surf off Port A and N. Padre, never out of site of shore (after all, what is the use of impressive stupid stunts for the babes if they can't see them) :D Which has little to do with skills needed to run boat offshore, locate dive spot, and then safely dive it and return.

Flares are required by the USCG.

If you are going offshore, a 25W console mount radio and an 8' 6dB gain VHF antenna
should be considered mandatory. That handheld is the backup.

Essentially all current console mount radios are capable of transmitting a DSC
distress signal these days. It's required for type certification. Make sure it's rated
JIS-7 (submersible, 3', 30 minutes) not just "waterproof" which means "spashproof,
maybe".

Take two boats. Anchor one, follow bubbles with the other. If one breaks down,
the other can tow back.

I've gone 39 miles out in two 16' 7" boat.

Chuck Tribolet:
Flares are required by the USCG.

If you are going offshore, a 25W console mount radio and an 8' 6dB gain VHF antenna
should be considered mandatory. That handheld is the backup.

Essentially all current console mount radios are capable of transmitting a DSC
distress signal these days. It's required for type certification. Make sure it's rated
JIS-7 (submersible, 3', 30 minutes) not just "waterproof" which means "spashproof,
maybe".

Take two boats. Anchor one, follow bubbles with the other. If one breaks down,
the other can tow back.

I've gone 39 miles out in two 16' 7" boat.

Thanks for the info Chuck, but I will wait till I have a bit more boat before I push that kind of distance away from shore, and twin engines.

Current planned usage will probably mean that there will not be a second boat along on most trips and although could change, better to plan within the limits of my little inflatable by it's lonesome. Most camping/diving usage will probably consist of me and several buddies using the PUP and a couple of tents set up in CG as 'home base' and stay day or three in one location checking out available diving before moving on to next CG.

For those dives further out or that we would like a bit more support on would find local dive charter and make use of their greater experience and appropriate equipment.

Thanks again for all the helpful hints and keep them coming, information will never replace experience, but can make gaining experience a much more pleasant thing :wink:

Just a thought ...you mentioned you would like to haul 2-4 divers on your rig. IMHO if you plan on leaving the inshore areas with a 50Hp and 4 adult divers fully geared up you are pushing the limits of that inflatible. Case in point to consider ...moderate surf `3-6' swells light off shore breeze heading out and back from a dive 2 miles offshore of Mission Bay, San Diego. 4 adult divers 2 with doubles 2 with single rigs. Boat is a 21 ' cuddy/walk w/ 150 Merc outboard. Boat is designed as a blue water tuna chaser. We barely got up on plane heading out and never made plane coming in not because of lack of power but the following sea and weight just made it an unbarible ride. Mind you I have taken this boat 150-200 miles round trip in open ocean before. I think you maybe asking too much from your boat if you consider salt water diving in it. Keep in mind the moment you cross the line of demarcation the USCG requires you carry a few extra items. NTM you will want an anchor and other health and safety /first aide items on your boat. With 4 divers you are going to use up alot of deck space-quickly, cooler w/ water and maybe some fresh fruit etc..in 3 ft swells . You had better be young and hardy. Also dive flags and lights at night (winter diving for bugs and abalone gets dark early) maybe a radar target for diving in the shipping lanes ...just a thought

If you don't have previous boating experience I suggest you take a boating course from either the U S Power Squadron or the Coast Guard Aux. Also Chapman's is an excellent book that covers all aspects of boating and I believe is updated annualy to keep up with current technology and regulations.
Most boats can handle more than their operators can.

captain:
If you don't have previous boating experience I suggest you take a boating course from either the U S Power Squadron or the Coast Guard Aux. Also Chapman's is an excellent book that covers all aspects of boating and I believe is updated annualy to keep up with current technology and regulations.
Most boats can handle more than their operators can.

Thanks captain, I have been boating many years(more than I care to dwell on :wink: ), small power boats and small to mid size sailboats on local lakes and rivers, and larger sailboats in gulf. But not much experience with smaller craft along gulf coasts other than some jet skiing and cats off of Padre, so wanted to get an idea of what the reasonable limits for my planned boat would be should I desire to venture a little ways out after a dive site and am unable or unwilling to secure a charter. But have already planned on taking a refresher boating course of some kind that would cover more coastal rules and situations than the boating course I took with TPWD way back in the day. It was more focused on inland waterways.
I am currently without a boat to call my own. However, that is not a big hardship as 3 of my current dive buddies own boats, so am still riding in and operating on inland waterways frequently. Thanks again to all for the excellent tips and suggestions.

Hey Skull, no longer young, but fairly hardy yet. Still up to a full day of beating my buddies jet ski's to death in the surf off padre, all day mountain biking in the Texas heat, or backpacking through Big Bend.

So I think I should survive a well planned trip in any reasonable conditions, although if I find myself spending much time more than a mile away from shore you can be sure I will be moving up to a nice 20'+ RIB that is more capable in those conditions.

I would be figuring 4 divers and gear max for the smaller inflatable, specs show loading cap of 2200 lbs, which should cover 4 divers, boat tender, dive gear, and required boating equipment. More usual would be 2 divers, and possibly boat tender, plus dive gear and boat equipment. I agree it will probably not be bouncing across the water as speedily with 4 divers and gear loaded in it, but should not be overloaded. So should be safe, although maybe not as 'fun' a ride out and back.

Back
Top Bottom