Offshore limits in RIB...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the reason Chuck that you can go 39 miles in your Montauck is that it has seats, leaning post, helm, steering wheel, tank racks, dry storage, fuel tanks, coolers, sun protection etc. My inflatible Novurania is equivilent to the Zodiaac Grande Raid Professional MkII GR. It is 14 feet long actually and that boat runs almost 8,000 dollars--bare--today and has a DRY WEIGHT of about 200 lbs (that is right--200 lbs). I have a steering wheel and an inflatible seat which we never use--heck of an air mattress though. We pile the gear and coolers into the floor. We sit on the gear and on the tubes. I steer sitting on the right tube and the other divers and first mate sit about on the floor or on the tubes as well. Running hard in the Gulf with 50 horses propelling a soft hull inflatable boat is like being a basket ball abd being dribbled up and down the court. There is no reason you cannot make long runs except that you will get bounced, pounded, soaked and bounced some more. It is fun and wild for short trips, don't think I would want to run 40 miles to sea though. For all practical purposes these boats are flat botom--yeah--they say they have a V and they do a bit but it is not much and the light weight additionally make them bounce--bounce. Also, the fuel tanks are portable types, six gallons, usually no room for more than two such tanks. Twelve gallons of fuel is not enough to go 40 miles out.

The rigid hulls are a whole nuther ball game. Now, the soft hulls are fine boats, we have enjoyed ours and they are great dive/play boats for there intended purpose. After use you break them down and roll it up into your mini van!

For serious offshore work look at the Zodiac Pro Open rigids. The 18 footer Pro 550 is about 33,000 dollars with 115 Yamaha engine. Any run that could be done in a Montauck could be done in the 550. It has provisions for a bimini, T top, it has center console, leaning post, seats, coolers, dry storage, anchor locker and places to set a tank rack and gear.

Nad, I think your plan of getting the soft boat and using it NOW is a good one. I think you will enjoy it and find it useful and I think you understand it's limitations. Good luck.

Oh Catherine, we caught the shark, we were fishing for other stuff but he bit. I fought him and and got him to the boat and was trying to get the hook off of him and when I pulled, he wiggled, and came right into the boat. Remember that hypalon tube boats sit about one foot or so of gunwale above the water and slippery with sun screen oil he had no diffuculty getting in the boat. Once there he thought he might hangout and work on his tan. He was not an agreeable sort however so I eventually had to ask him to leave. N

I had a Zodiac MK ll with a 20 Merc back in the early 70's. Payed $800 for the boat and $400 for the motor. It was a great little boat for lakes and near shore but couldn't carry enough fuel for any long distance running. I was only 30 years old at the time and could bite the wind and waves in half so bouncing around didn't bother me. One time my wife was driving and she took a sharp turn and I almost went overboard. If they weren't so expensive now I would get another one as a second boat.

NadMat:
Hey Skull, no longer young, but fairly hardy yet. Still up to a full day of beating my buddies jet ski's to death in the surf off padre, all day mountain biking in the Texas heat, or backpacking through Big Bend.

So I think I should survive a well planned trip in any reasonable conditions, although if I find myself spending much time more than a mile away from shore you can be sure I will be moving up to a nice 20'+ RIB that is more capable in those conditions.

I would be figuring 4 divers and gear max for the smaller inflatable, specs show loading cap of 2200 lbs, which should cover 4 divers, boat tender, dive gear, and required boating equipment. More usual would be 2 divers, and possibly boat tender, plus dive gear and boat equipment. I agree it will probably not be bouncing across the water as speedily with 4 divers and gear loaded in it, but should not be overloaded. So should be safe, although maybe not as 'fun' a ride out and back.

I see a few inflatibles and RIBs out on the dive sites here in San Diego. I'm sure your boat will handle the load ... but don't discount comfort for affordablity ... I've said it before if you are going to trailer a inflat or RIB why not buy a quality used CC, Cuddy or skiff and buy as much boat as you can afford!!! Recycle some other guys payment and save a landfill in the process. Not to mention you may have the occasion to entertain folks and well the infaltible isn't going to make the cut on the open ocean. When I bought my tuna chaser entertaining folks was far from my agenda ...but I got to tell you I have spent an equal amount of time cruising the harbor and docking at a local rest. for lunch or early dinner ....just a thought

Skull:
I see a few inflatibles and RIBs out on the dive sites here in San Diego. I'm sure your boat will handle the load ... but don't discount comfort for affordablity ... I've said it before if you are going to trailer a inflat or RIB why not buy a quality used CC, Cuddy or skiff and buy as much boat as you can afford!!! Recycle some other guys payment and save a landfill in the process. Not to mention you may have the occasion to entertain folks and well the infaltible isn't going to make the cut on the open ocean. When I bought my tuna chaser entertaining folks was far from my agenda ...but I got to tell you I have spent an equal amount of time cruising the harbor and docking at a local rest. for lunch or early dinner ....just a thought

I agree lot of good times besides diving can be had with a boat.

"If they weren't so expensive now I would get another one as a second boat."

I think I paid 3,500 for my Novurania with 25 horse Merc. Later upgraded to a 50 but realize now the 25 was perfect. I need a new engine for it--gota save up for that. I agree, they have gotten very expensive. The Zodiac Bombard Commando is 4,000 bare and it is a 14 footer. It is their value line. I don't think they are hypalon though.

I think Skull gives some good advice alos but there is place for "rubber" boats. they can be stored in a small closet, they don't require a trailer, they can launch right off the beach. Mine has wheels on it. We have gone straight off the beach to dive sites that would have taken several miles or much more sometimes if you launched from a marina and went out the inlet etc as you would in a glass boat--imagine how much gasoline that could sometimes save.

That said, it is reasonable you could get a 17 Montauk Boston Whaler like Chucks, do a little work on it, purchase a new engine and be in buisness that way also.

N

As others have pointed out, there is a world of difference between an inflatable and a RIB. I use a Hurricane 590 and routinely head 25 to 35 miles offshore in the Great Lakes. My main limitation is fuel capacity... I can carry about 180 litres between the built in tank and two portables. This gives me a range of about 125 miles or so depending on weather and load. A single engine is a concern, but so far the only breakdowns I hahve had have been close to shore. I carry two radios, one built in with a tall antenna, as well as two GPS.

Regarding the soft bottoms.... you'll get the Cr*p beat out of you if the weather takes a turn. I suggest you start with excursions nearer to shore until you learn your boats capabilities... and your back's endurance level...

Have fun though... I miss my old inflatables.... especially at the gas pump!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom