Officially certified! Time to start diving! Gear Choices, *pics*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any suggestions on were to find a tank for a good price? Also USF since you are local, maybe some good beginners dives I could get into?

I keep my eyes open for used tanks here on on CL. Tanks are the one thing I'd really suggest waiting on; they're fairly expensive to buy and really cheap to rent (esp. once you figure in fills). Also the kind of tank I'd buy has changed several times since I started diving, from Aluminum 80 to steel HP 100 to LP 95 to LP 85. Nothing wrong with any of those tanks, but some would be sitting in the garage now, unused. Of course, if you find something cheap and in hydro, snap it up; if you end up not liking it you can sell it again for no real loss once you figure in rentals saved.

My first dives were with gulf charters out of Clearwater and nearby areas. I started with TanksALot and liked them OK but they've changed captains and DMs since I last went out so I don't know what the experience with them is like now -- should be fine for a beginning diver. There are a bunch in the area, almost all suitable for a beginning diver; I'd ask in the FL specific section of the board.

they're fairly expensive to buy and really cheap to rent

Depends on the shop I suppose. Even a new 3AL 80 isn't that bad (~170). Used and within hydro you can get some deals IF you know what to look for. I wouldn't buy an Aluminum Luxfer made in 1985 at all. I would jump on an aluminum Catalina made in 2000 with last hydro in 2010 though.

So my old lady and I decided to get into scuba and we love it! As of last weekend, we are officially certified! All the training was fun and my LDS was great! Props to Calypso Diving in Tampa, FL. They were extremely nice and even let me change my OW dive date with no charge or hassle. I do however owe one of the instructors a bottle of scotch for leaving my dust cap off one time :p haha.

I have a buddy at work that has been helping me pickup some gear as I want to never have to rent equipment. He was a rescue/cave diver for a long time and knows his gear...

I just picked up a Scubapro MK20 UL, G250 reg, R380 octo, lp hose, and a oldie but a goodie-a Oceanic Datamax pro plus computer for a great price, $240!
Which brings me to my first question... Do you guys think the G250 or the R380 will flow better? They both are adjustable.

Second question, tonight I'm picking up a Seaquest Pro QD i3 BCD, anyone have any objections? I really like the idea of the lever to inflate/deflate, and have only read good things about them. I'm not really "used to" the classic style, so it wouldn't be something new I have to get comfortable with.

Anyway, can't wait to get some dives in!

Sweet! Have fun, and be safe!

I know nothing of the BC but found for me I was perfectly comfortable in a jacket in warm water but had issues with them in cold water. I switched to a backplate/wing configuration and now I'm perfectly comfortable in warm and cold water.

The regs will perform virtually the same so it doesn't really matter which you make your primary. If there's any doubt take them on a dive to 60 feet and try them both for a few minutes of semi-strenous kicking and see which you're more comfortable with and then make that one your primary. I dive a Mk10/G250 primary with a Voit/AMF Swimaster backup. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to switch them... maybe after this next servicing.

I'm a big fan of used gear. Even tanks. I bought 3 luxfer AL80s for I think $45 and spent another $180 or so on hydro and viz. I could have gotten new tanks for a little bit more but I saved myself ~$60, so I'm happy with them. Steels are far more expensive new than I can find them used, though they're still generally more expensive used than new AL80s. I haven't moved to any steel tanks yet because I figure it's going to be pretty rare that I'll be diving deep enough to need larger and most rentals are AL80s so I won't have to think about my weighting so much. It will just match what I'm used to diving.

I buy pretty much all "big ticket" gear used. Otherwise I simply wouldn't have enough money to actually go diving, which is the point of the gear. Right? Do your research before you buy and you'll be fine. Having an experienced friend (gear experience, not necessarily lots of dives) also helps. Get it serviced and you're golden.

I like Oceanic computers, though I haven't tried the DataPro/Datamax. I got a Data Plus with my original gear purchase and bought a Veo180 also. (Both used). Simple to use, solid computers that aren't way out of my budget. Win win. Double check whether your computer battery is user replaceable and make sure you download the manual if you didn't get one with it. The Oceanic website has all their manuals online... also very helpful customer service for finding what you need.

First off, I got the BCD tonight, it literally looks brand new.
attachment.php

attachment.php

USF, I actually do hear good things about TanksALot still, i have a friend that has hit a couple wrecks with them and had his first shark encounter last week :D I was going to hold off on a tank and just rent for sure, I actually think I'm all set. Computer, regs/octo, wet suit, BC, annnnd GoPro :p ....Just need some weights, I never checked what my weight was on my OW dives, maybe they have that on file at my shop.

FPJ, my friend that I have been getting advice from actually ran your same setup for 15+ years doing 300' dives, the MK10/G250. That's actually why I got this G250. He said as far as first stage, any MK will be fine. As far as used gear, hell ya, I didn't wanna spend $550 at my dive shop for the same exact BC I got tonight for $275. As much as I would like to support my shop, I have many hobbies that aren't too cheap haha.

Back
Top Bottom