Officially a Swamper! Valhalla Trip with SIS 11/19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daylonious

Señor Pantalones
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all!

Well, we did the Valhalla Missile silo yesterday and it was a blast. Cold, dark, deep, altitude, sharp rusted silty pointy things on the bottom, rusted catwalk overhang you could bump into - perfect!

I managed to squeeze in 3 dives (to 108-110 feet), the last one being with Timeliner (great diving with ya bud!). We brought some cheapy disposable cameras and shot several pictures of the flooded "control" room at 50' down the silo. Those Princeton Tec LED's we where using really put out a lot of light. Hopefully some of them come out (will post tomorrow!)

Lotsa interesting brickabrac at the bottom of the 110' flooded missile shaft. Lotsa little frozen mouse-icles too.

Water was about 57 degrees or so, but I had brought a 7mm hood, gloves and suit, so I was doing okay (last dive was a little cold tho!)

I think the 29% Nitrox really helped me out as far as fatigue went, the drive back to Dallas was tiring, but I think if I had done 3 dives on Air I would've fallen asleep!

Lessons learned:

1) 12 pounds isn't quite enough in a full 7mm suit to get you down. (had some water in my single wing when I went to rinse the gear this morning.)

2) If you own DIN regulators (I have Apeks Atx200's) BRING A FRIGGEN YOKE ADAPTER! I had to wind up 'borrowing' a first stage and screwing in my regs and computer hoses into it because I must've had a brain freeze and forgot that my tanks I had rented were not DIN's). THis must be the 3rd time this is happened to me.. Yoke adapter on order first thing monday morning.

3) Those "dry" guys are rather smug folks, aren't they?!? ;-)

Anyhoo, got my Altititude cert (Silo is at 2450ft above sea level), and really enjoyed hanging out with the SIS crew.

Big props to Terry (Degraw's husband) for letting me steal an extra first stage. It really would have sucked to have had to drive back to dallas with three full tanks.

Forgot to mention that the "plan" was to caravan from SIS's shop in Arlington at 6:30am. Me, being the new guy, and not knowing any of these people, NATURALLY thought that arriving there at 6:30 would be a good idea.

Nope, they left at 6:20.

SO, several frantic calls to wake up some sleepy-sounding dive wife in Midland explaining my situation, she directed me to the Silo.

Lesson Learned #4 : Get phone numbers from everybody. And if you're the new guy, show up at least 30 minutes before any scheduled anything or those arlington folks will ditch ya!

D.

Yea... that Timeliner guy is OK sometimes I guess but I think he talks too much....:D

And those dry suit guys are an elite bunch arn't they! ( God I wish I was one :wink: )

Remember... To be early is to be on time, To be on time is to be late, To be late is to be history. My Daughter taught me that.

I got in 3 dives too! We should get an endorsement from Kodak for using those little cameras if the photos turn out!

It was cool divin' with you Daylonious ! And Richerso... Hey man you too ! We had 2 good dives!

We've been there ,done that, got the shirt and I got in 600 miles of driving from Paris,Tx. and back all in one day!

Here are some photos I took top side yesterday.

Here are a few more

I dunno, Frank... I'm thinking this place is skeery looking. I'll leave it to you macho types, I'm partial to non-grafitti'd open skies and little fishies. Glad yall had a good time, and thanks for posting the pics.

So, how far down do you walk with your tanks before you get in the water? I didn't see any pics that show where you actually get in, what does it look like?

Foo

Hi Foo-

Here are some pics I took a few years ago. It shows the ladder and the platform as well where you get in at.

http://www.siscuba.com/Valhalla.html

Troy's GPS time leaving the shop was 6:28am and 40 seconds. I am very sorry to hear you were left Daylonius. That of course was not our intention.

I could not make the trip due to a back injury I experienced earlier in the week. My apologies to all. I won't be diving for the next month and hopefully will be "back" in action for my trip to Cayman over Christmas.

Daylonious:
Big props to Terry (Degraw's husband) for letting me steal an extra first stage. It really would have sucked to have had to drive back to dallas with three full tanks.

D.

This should actually read "Big props to Troy (Debraw's husband) for letting me steal an extra first stage"

Troy always brings extra gear, he is very concientious when leading a group and knows that stuff happens and people forget things.

Timeliner ! ! ! Did you really do a round trip? Holy crap ! ! ! ! I can't imagine! God be with you! . . .. . . . and I am not much into religion. . . . . . but God be with you.

Daylonious,
I am glad you can see past our faults :D
I sincerely hope you were able to figure your EAD on your 29% NOx. I feel embarassed that I didn't know that formula. You caused me to come home and pull out my nitrox book. Hope to dive with you again some time soon :D

Timeliner,
Good diving with you ! I look forward to it again some time soon.
Two, kind of; sort of; recommendations: (ie. let's look into possibilities): let's look into Ray Roberts Lake and also Moss Lake (Gainesville). What do you think?

Frank thanks for posting the pictures....was a good day at the old silo!

Thanks for the link, Debra. How deep do you descend into the silo before you actually enter the water? Looks like some extremely steep stairs! It seems like I read somewhere that they used to not even have the stairs, and people had to climb down a ladder on the side of the wall (like in the movies,yikes!)

Foo

It's pretty steep, could be about 20 steps? I can't remember. Yes, it used to be just a ladder! Can you imagine!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom