Official Spring-Springfest III Offshore Dive Trip!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got one more person, Jerry Finney. I think at one time he had an account on here, however I don't think he's posted anything. I've been trying to get him to sign on and post here but he's been pretty busy. Should I have him call Capt Pat and pay or wait until we get to PC? Are we all meeting at the boat or the shop?

Where is the boat actually docked at?

The marine forcast is never accurate this far in advance, but here is the forcast as of now. Bring your meds.

Saturday
South wind 10 to 15 knots increasing to around 20 knots and gusty in the afternoon. Seas building to 2 to 4 feet nearshore and 4 to 6 feet offshore. Protected waters a moderate chop to choppy. Scattered showers and thunderstorms.

Last edited:
[SIZE=+3]Avoiding sea sickness while sailing,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]At first you feel that you may die, then you worry that you won't.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]1. Get plenty of rest before you go out on the water. Weariness and exhaustion can make you more susceptible to other things that can bring on motion sickness. Do your gear preparation early the day before and take care of other business well before a proper bed time.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]2. Do not eat greasy or acidic foods for several hours before your sailing adventure. This includes having coffee also. You don't want to have a lot of acid or heavy, slow to digest foods rolling around in your stomach while you are rolling around on the sea. Heavy, greasy foods like bacon and eggs, sausage, waffles or pancakes with syrup, alone or combined with acidic juices like orange juice, can wreak havoc on your system and end up recycled as lunch for fishes. Consider less acidic fruits (apples, bananas, pears, grapes, melons, etc.), breads (muffins, croissants, rolls), cereals and grains as alternatives. Milk, water, apple juice, cranberry juice and other low acid beverages are gentler alternatives to orange juice or grapefruit juice.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Caffeinated beverages (including soft drinks) should be avoided as they are diuretics (make you urinate) which accelerates dehydration. The gas in carbonated beverages has negative responses in some, avoid them also.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]3. Do not skip eating before sailing. An empty stomach can be almost as bad as one with the wrong types of food in it. Give your stomach acids something to work on other than your well-being. Give your stomach time to begin digesting you meal. Get up a little earlier if you must to eat relaxedly and an hour or more before going out on the water. Don't overeat and get bloated either. Easy does it.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]4. Drink plenty of water. Even partial dehydration lowers your body's resistance to the stressful factors caused by the boat ride. Take lots of water with you and drink often.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]5. Do not drink alcoholic beverages for several hours. Alcohol tends to dehydrate the body. Its other symptoms are not desirable either. Alcohol can prevent the REM (Rapid Eye Movement) stage of sleep, the one in which you dream and your brain rests. You may feel tired and unalert from just a few drinks, two qualities not conducive to safe boating. If you do plan on drinking, make every third drink a glass of water. It will reduce dehydration and your chances for a hangover.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]6. Avoid gasoline or diesel fumes. They can put you over the edge literally and figuratively. Stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible. Avoid becoming overheated and dehydrated.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]7. Again, if possible, avoid the cabin and other enclosed spaces. Sometimes, a breezy spot in the sun may be preferable to a shady spot in a stuffy cabin. The open air and ability to look out over the horizon are often more important than being in a shady spot, which can be stuffy and enclosed, limiting your view of the horizon and perhaps making you more prone to motion sickness.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]There will be less motion towards the center of the boat, both horizontally and vertically, and it will increase with the height of the waves. Avoid the upper decks as the higher you go, the more you will experience swaying back and forth. Horizontally, you want to be amidships, towards the center, rather that at the bow or stern. The more sensitive to motion sickness you are, the closer you need to be towards the center, which is the calmest part of the boat.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]8. If you are beginning to feel a bit queasy, stand up and look out over the horizon. Despite what you might think, sitting or laying down is the worst thing you can do at this point. Don't do it. This is a critical moment. You will get much worse even faster and may reach a point of no return if you make the wrong choice. Soda crackers seem to help some people by calming their stomachs and reducing nausea.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Steering the boat is an instant remedy.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]9. When the boat is rolling with the waves rather than moving under its own power and you are standing on deck, possibly getting hot, your resistance to motion sickness diminishes rapidly. Reduce that exposure time to an absolute minimum.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]11. Have some water and fruit before. It can help by rehydrating you.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]12. If someone in your party is overcome by sea sickness, get away from them at once! Unfortunately, many of us can do fine until someone else loses it. Then we have a sympathetic reaction and succumb as well. It could be the sound, the smell, the sight, or a combination of them that triggers the same response in us. You don't have to be close to your buddy at this time. There is nothing you can do to help.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]If you feel nauseous and about to succumb, please avoid the entry and exit areas of the boat. Hang your head over the gunwales.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Medications and Natural Preventatives[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Ginger is a natural preventative. It soothes a queasy stomach and has no side effects. You can get it in pill form, tablets or powder, as ginger root in many herb and health food stores, or as pickled ginger slices at Japanese food marts and even at many Japanese restaurants. Most serve it pickled with sushi, hand rolls, and other of their dishes. It puts out the fire that too much wasabe can start.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Some doctors recommend that you can take it 12-24 hours before, as preventing sea sickness is easier than curing it. Somewhere from 1 gram up to 4 grams per day of powdered ginger is recommended. Some studies seem to indicate that ginger is more effective in the reduction of vomiting and sweating than nausea and vertigo, although they reduce those symptoms as well. You can try gingersnap cookies and ginger ale, although their lower ginger content may not be as effective. They do work for many sailors though.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Eating peppermint in conjunction with ginger is reported by as being even more effective. Since mint does have some of the same calming qualities as ginger, this may be true. Perhaps it is just the belief that it works that is effective. Regardless, it is an inexpensive and pleasant addition. An added benefit is making your breath sweeter.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Another treatment is an acupressure wrist band. It applies pressure to a particular point on your wrist which can prevent the feeling of nausea.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Here's an interesting treatment that was found. It is a treatment that works on some after they are feeling queasy, rather than as a preventative. Immerse your feet in ice water. Anecdotal reports indicate it helps some people.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]There are other preventatives, such as over the counter and prescription medications. Most should be taken in advance and not on an empty stomach. Be sure to read the instructions. Dramamine is one that has been used for years. Meclizine and bonine are also effective. You can find them at most pharmacies and drug stores. Scopolamine was used for awhile in the Transderm patches, but was taken off the market because of quality control problems, though it is now available again (as of fourth quarter 1997). Be sure to read this warning about sea sickness medications. It might give you more reasons to try other methods of prevention than medication.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Scopolamine is a prescription drug in the family of chemicals known as belladonna alkaloids (belladonna from the Italian for beautiful lady. Renaissance women took belladonna to get dilated pupils, an effect of scopolamine). Scopolamine should not be used by people with glaucoma. Its side effects can include dry mouth (the most common side effect,) dilated pupils with blurred vision, drowsiness, disorientation, confusion, memory disturbances, dizziness, restlessness, hallucinations, and difficulty urinating. When you stop using the patches you can also get disorientation, confusion, memory disturbances, dizziness, and restlessness.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Scopolamine's side effects are not predictable. You could have used it without problems many times before and still develop an untoward reaction. Some of the side effects are similar to the effects of nitrogen narcosis, and even if you're having a mild reaction to the scopolamine (and maybe not even know it) the reaction could be more pronounced at depth.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]There is no one I know of who can't get seasick if the conditions are right, but there are some things that can be done to reduce the possibility.[/SIZE]

Seems like the diver count is about as changeable as the weather.

I would vote for a dive on Chippewa as one excellent site and going along with Brian with the Putnum, since it will save the Capt. some fuel cost and it will probably be choppy for a longer ride to another dive site.

Jerry Finney is a good old sea dog and would hope that he is aboard.

So the list is now 7 divers ???

PaulWall (bka Paul Wallace)
LIVES4SHARKS aka Carolyn
Yellow Angel Fish
The Kraken
B1Draper
500PSI
Jerry Finney

As I recall the Steel Slinger is moored at the Marriot Marina?

Is it safe to say departure time from this port by 8:15 AM CST?

Bob

OK peeps...We will be leaving Vortex no later than 0645 Saturday morning. We will meet at the dive shop (5512 Thomas Dr next to the burned down strip club) to do the paperwork and pay for the trip @ about 0730. If you need tanks, please call Cpt Pat at the website posted at the beginning of the thread. He will have the tanks on the boat waiting for you. The marine forecast so far is showing it to be a bit rough out there both off and inshore. So be prepared to start taking your meds if you need them! If anyone has any questions, contact Cpt Pat, or me @ 912-713-6017. I will be at Vortex tomorrow around 6p.

Carolyn:shark2:

PS: Martin, Pat has no problems with you diving your doubles as long as you do all the schlepping! :)

Directions to the shop
As I love pointing out, we are located between the burned down strip club and a cash for gold pawn shop. The weather looks bumpy but doable and I will keep an eye on it.
Looking forward to having yall aboard! My cell is 850-624-2084 if you need me.

I'm out. The weather has scared me off. Ya'll have fun!
I was really looking forward to this, too.

LIVES4SHARKS aka Carolyn
Yellow Angel Fish
The Kraken
B1Draper
500PSI
Jerry Finney

It would appear someone on this trip has angered Poseidon.

Saturday
Southeast wind around 20 knots becoming south in the afternoon. Seas building to 6 to 8 feet. Protected waters choppy. A chance of showers through the day. A chance of thunderstorms late.

At 6-8 feet are you still running? How much of a issue will it be on your boat? I ask because there are a couple charters in Pensacola that won't go out past 4 feet. What's the vis and temp been like so far this week?

It would appear someone on this trip has angered Poseidon.

Saturday
Southeast wind around 20 knots becoming south in the afternoon. Seas building to 6 to 8 feet. Protected waters choppy. A chance of showers through the day. A chance of thunderstorms late.

Back
Top Bottom