For Sale Official Freedom Plate List: Please respond here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Eric. I ordered back in Oct 2020. I know there were issues and I understand. Just wondering if you had any idea when the lg thin stainless will be ready.

Thanks

Order post #450

As I have explained in many emails and pm’s here on SB, plate production has been halted until further notice due to extreme materials price hikes, material shortages, labor shortages, and all the rest of the drama that the pandemic has caused.
I’m so sorry for the delay. I hope to get back to some form of production as soon as it becomes viable.
I have since become very busy with my other business which I’m choosing to concentrate all my efforts on at the moment.
Thank you for your understanding.

As soon as you're back up and running I have a request for a medieval suit of armour in stainless I'd like you to work on. Polished, of course.

Definite Soup Nazi vibes.

you ever pound a steel plate into a shape by hand? any idea how much steel costs these days? should Eric lay out thousands of dollars for material and then maybe get stuck with it?

pfft. chill with the 'tude.

Hey I was only joking. The poster above me does sound like George on Seinfeld, trying not offend the delicate genius. I guess that makes me Elaine but I'm OK with that.

Stainless prices right now are so absurd that just the material and laser cutting costs alone would cost more than what I was selling those plates for retail before. I seriously doubt anyone will pay $400-$500 for a piece of stainless no matter how artsy or trick it is. People bitch about plates above $200 and if they begin to scratch $225 or $250 it can be a deal breaker.
I got caught sitting on a ton of plates back in 2009-2011 that I could barely give away. I’m not letting that happen again.
I can’t even get my laser cutter to call me back with quotes anymore. I don’t even know if they are still in business to be honest.
Beyond that, I learned from history that by the time I do get plates and notify people, about 35% drop out or cannot be reached.
Like I’ve said many times, this is a side gig that I do for fun and to contribute something to the dive world. I don’t know, maybe it’s some sort of subliminal ego boost? …and the rest is just beer money.
Point is, I don’t need to do this, so take it easy on this old man.
If you need a plate really bad then get a cheap standard one for now and when I make more you can always transfer over all the components and wing to mine, then sell the other plate (or keep it for doubles).
Don’t let me hold you up.
Happy Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom