For Sale Official Freedom Plate List: Please respond here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like the logjam broke!

I got my aluminum FP today and it is gorgeous! No compromises on quality or finish.

Happy, happy!
Did you go with or without rails?

Us too but the tank does rest on my butt, probably because its a small (the FP that is) and I am short. :( Eric S doesn’t think it will be a problem once I am in the water.

Did you go with or without rails?
Do we have to specify rails or no rails? I assumed they come with rails.
What are the pros and cons of rails? I figured the rails would be very desirable to prevent tank roll.

Oh, I will probably need some of those tank protector pads that go on the cam straps, huh? Or maybe I will just cover the rails in electrical tape or something.

Do we have to specify rails or no rails? I assumed they come with rails.
What are the pros and cons of rails? I figured the rails would be very desirable to prevent tank roll.

Oh, I will probably need some of those tank protector pads that go on the cam straps, huh? Or maybe I will just cover the rails in electrical tape or something.
The aluminums were sold with no rails because they are travel plates and meant to be kept simple and light. Rails also add cost.

When the 10 GA stainless plates come out rails will be an option. You be able to get the plate with or without the rail. I’m doing it this way for people who want to either save money, have no use for the rail because they are using a VDH or Oxycheq Mach V wing, want to shed a lb., or have no problem using the plate without the rail, or need a rail because they want the weight and/or are using a wing that requires the adapter benefits of a rail.
There will also possibly be a half bracket that bolts to the bottom and provides a “stand off” for the tank to kick the bottom away about three degrees. It may just be that I will go with just the optional bottom half bracket and take the rail idea out behind the barn and shoot it.
I’m not thrilled about the liability issues that the rail system creates.
I didn’t even like the idea of a STA when I was diving my OMS plate.
I’m a fan of making it mandatory to run the cam bands through the plate.
If it means some wings besides VDH and Oxycheq might not work then oh well. I haven’t decided yet.
Rails are a pain in the ass to build. There’s a lot of welding and each rail needs to be assembled and built onto each individual plate since each plate is hand made. There are slight differences between each individual plate. I don't have prices yet because the last run was something of a test to see how these would be accepted. For pricing on the last batch, I just pulled a price out of a dark place but adding up the overall time, there wasn’t a lot if profit in them. I could have made a lot more money doing other stuff.
So with this in mind, there will be options in features. I’m hoping to get a basic plate with no rail and no polish to people for a pretty competitive price. A rail will add more money, and polishing will add more money. I need to time test each process so I can make a determination as to what the new pricing will be.
The patterns just got shipped to the cutter. Hopefully if everything looks good and goes as planned with no snags I should have some plates ready in a few weeks.
Keeping my fingers crossed, we’ll see how it goes.

Us too but the tank does rest on my butt, probably because its a small
I had Fred Tagge cut me a plate that I designed. Ten pounds of SS. It is a total PIA on the surface, but it disappears under water. I need the weight for cold water and my drysuit.

I'd bet money that the slightest amount of inflation will put you into trim with that wing and plate.

I had Fred Tagge cut me a plate that I designed. Ten pounds of SS. It is a total PIA on the surface, but it disappears under water. I need the weight for cold water and my drysuit.

I'd bet money that the slightest amount of inflation will put you into trim with that wing and plate.
Plus divers move around underwater, they’re bodies twist and turn, arch up, bend forward, etc. Diving is a dynamic activity. Unless someone holds a perfect locked back position with no back movement the entire dive, maybe some Koolaider does, I sure don’t. With a typical aluminum tank used on boats and resorts on travel the weight will be completely gone under water.

here will also possibly be a half bracket that bolts to the bottom and provides a “stand off” for the tank to kick the bottom away about three degrees. It may just be that I will go with just the optional bottom half bracket and take the rail idea out behind the barn and shoot it.
My Eric B has been working this same idea since our aluminum plates arrived. I have encouraged him to share what he’s done so far...

I've been meaning to post some pics of my AL FP but things have come up, or down as it were
46975287812_a4ba547a6d_o.jpg

I know this is nothing to a great many of you but I live in California! power outages and fallen trees have taken up my time along with being the family shuttle service.
Here is my AL FP, I have had it for a while and it will finally get a chance to dive at the end of the month, it's far to light for me to use in Monterey.
46975288102_9203c0fee6_o.jpg

46975287982_52b5cd1c81_o.jpg

46975287942_f848271927.jpg

46975287912_85d69ae442.jpg

This is what I've used in place of the rail on My SS FP when I took it to Truk
46975287862_1d3c872bb8_o.jpg

46975287782_ea20409b49_o.jpg

I had first cobbled a quick one from an old SS buckle before i found the spacers in a "stuff I don't need" box
33151958328_00fc2d8213_o.jpg

Functionally it works well
the Stand off is slight so I'm actually going with nothing but the wing anti rolls for the Maldives trip.
46975287692_df5e109615_o.jpg

This is the plate W/O the rail clamped to a tank
39667196613_346d30d24a_b.jpg

I did a few minutes in my pool with a trilam and wool undies and the 47º water discoursed my from spending much time testing it, it just clears my butt as is and once in the water it wasn't noticeable, or maybe I was Numb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom