Offbeat Travel Question..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well we have another looong series of flights (to the Philippines) coming up soon, and I just thought I would ask about something I have never seen mentioned here. I am referring to those so-called earbud microphones that the airlines either give you or try to sell you for access to their sound systems. I have a couple of sets of these that I have accumulated over the years, but I really don't like them. I know you can use aftermarket systems of various types to improve your listening experience, and was wondering what you guys like to use for this? I will be using Delta for this trip, and will obtain a couple of sets of those two pronged adapters which will convert a standard plug to the airline plugins (although I now hear that the newer planes don't use these two pronged setups anymore?). I am looking hard at a set of Panasonic earbuds, as I don't know if anything much better would be worth it in an airliner situation, but I don't know. What do you folks think? Many thanks for your input.

I have been happy with my $30 sennheiser earbuds, however the airlines audio systems generally provide low quality signals anyway (as compared you personal listening devices) so it doesn't matter all that much.

We use the Bose earbuds. They have various sizes of interchangeable (Silicon think) ear pieces to size to yor ear. Very comfortable. They are single pronge which seem standard and have black/white wires (at least mine). At least American Airlines uses the single pronge plug in the planes. I get these from the rewards program via a credit card but I am sure they are available retail as well. The airline earbuds seem biggger and harder which on long trips made my ears hurt. Knowing Bose they probably won't be cheap but you never know.

Well we have another looong series of flights (to the Philippines) coming up soon, and I just thought I would ask about something I have never seen mentioned here. I am referring to those so-called earbud microphones that the airlines either give you or try to sell you for access to their sound systems. I have a couple of sets of these that I have accumulated over the years, but I really don't like them. I know you can use aftermarket systems of various types to improve your listening experience, and was wondering what you guys like to use for this? I will be using Delta for this trip, and will obtain a couple of sets of those two pronged adapters which will convert a standard plug to the airline plugins (although I now hear that the newer planes don't use these two pronged setups anymore?). I am looking hard at a set of Panasonic earbuds, as I don't know if anything much better would be worth it in an airliner situation, but I don't know. What do you folks think? Many thanks for your input.

I just take the ear phones off my ipod

Possibly I am sensitive to the noise, but I find noise cancelling headphones make a HUGE difference in my attitude at the end of a long flight. The background noise level in airline cabins is tolerable, but I end up irritated at the end of a long flight, just as a result of the noise. With NC headphones that is reduced to just being irritated at being cooped up in a confined space and not being able to move. Makes a significant difference. Have no trouble plugging in to the airline sound system.

I have a pair of Phillips earbuds that I use. The ones I have also have noise cancelling,

I'd get something better than the airline junk, but super quality audio isn't going to matter much if you're just listening to the crappy airline sound system. On a plane even if you're listening to your iPod or something anything decent will do. What matters is noise suppression, to cut down on the plane drone. I have a pair of Sennheiser on-ear active noise suppressing headphones that fold up and work pretty well, almost as well as the Bose ones that cost 3 times as much and are much bulkier. I decided I wanted something even smaller and got a set of active noise suppressing earbuds. Actually , I think I've tried 2 models and already sold one. The ones I have got had some of the better reviews for that type of device but I'm not happy with them. The noise suppression just doesn't make that much difference and the battery pack is a pain to deal with. On a recent flight I compared them with a random set of well fitting and not very expensive Sony earbuds I had in my bag. The plain buds were quieter and more comfortable. So while I haven't looked at what's out there recently, at this point I'm thinking if you want to try something designed for planes but stick with earbuds rather than headphones, find some well fitting comfortable earbuds with passive noise suppression. The part that goes in your ear usually has some kind of extra baffles or flanges to make a tight fit and block outside sound better.

If you are listening to the plane audio with good earbuds, I find it can sometimes be too loud even when the volume is set lowest, which isn't a problem with the crappy airline buds. So earbuds with a volume control, or a volume control that you can put inline, can be very handy. (Much handier than a 2 prong adapter. I still carry one but it's been ages since I've been on a plane with that kind of jack. One of these days I'll stop carrying it - and promptly need it, I'm sure.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom