Off to Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hilto

Registered
Reaction score
Garamond
My sweetie and I are off for a week at Utila Lodge. Looks great on the web, and I'm already having trouble concentrating at my desk. Anyone out there have any experience or insight into what's in store? Any absolute do's or don'ts?

Thanks.

Hilto:
Garamond
My sweetie and I are off for a week at Utila Lodge. Looks great on the web, and I'm already having trouble concentrating at my desk. Anyone out there have any experience or insight into what's in store? Any absolute do's or don'ts?

Thanks.

You may be lining up in the next few days to see "Mr. Big", a Whaleshark! They are known to be seen around the full moon, especially March-May. Select your dive op with care- there are some good ones, but some are frightening. You'll see the differences- and don't look just for new paint and cool looking d.m.'s.

Take at least two, maybe three bathings suits (to rotate, as you'll be wearing one at any given time). It's shorts and t-shirts. Play some pool at the Bucket of Blood.

Take DEET repellant. Use it often. (do a search here on sand flies and no-see-ums) In case you get bit, take Benadryl Spansules and Gel (or the cheaper Walmart version). As the Bay Islands have the best no-see-ums in the Caribbean, Utila wins the prize within the Islas de la Bahia. Take small bills along with any hundreds you might have. Bring film and batteries, they are really pricey.

You are going to a place that might feel like Cayman in 1958. Roatan is modern by comparison, maybe in Cayman years Roatan is at 1975.

Cayman years, what a concept. :wink:

Good suggestions, all. We went to Roatan this time last year and had a glorious time. If we see the really big fishes, we will (of course) be deliriously happy. I suspect, though, that we will be deliriously happy anyway.

Hi there! I'm currently sat in the office of BICD which is next to Utila Lodge. All I can tell you is that you're in for a treat. I've been here for nearly a week now as I travel through Central America and it has been awesome. I haven't seen any Whale Sharks although plenty have. The sand flys aren't a big deal. That said when you're backpacking and not staying in the luxury of Utial Lodge you get used to roughing a little more! :wink:

The island itself is wonderful. It costs about a buck for a decent beer or rum and coke, and some of the sea food that is on offer is delightful, and you can get a good meal for $4 - $5.

You're set for a good time in Utila, have no fear!! :D

Hilto:
Garamond

Thanks.

I spent a week at the Utila Lodge the first week of April. I had a great time. Our divemaster and boat captain were just great and went out of there way to make sure we had a great time. Everytime we looked for whale sharks we found them on three different days and two to three Sharks each day. Reefs and walls are beautiful. They have a six foot pet Barracuda that hangs around the lodge named Harry that greets you when you get back to the lodge.
Food was plentiful and good at the lodge and for a break look up a restaurant called the Jade Seahorse it's a trip. Every square inch of the restaurant is an art project and the bar is a tree house shaped like a pirate ship. I would definately go back to the Utila Lodge again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom