Off beaten path dive location suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zalick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a good dive location for my honeymoon in late January. I've read through tons of posts and nothing really jumped out at me, so thought I'd ask in my own thread.

I'm looking for something a bit more unique than the typical places such as Palau or (fill in the blank amazing dive location). By unique, I mean less traveled and more remote but not crazy difficult to get to. Although spending two days getting there would not be a deal breaker. Also, only warm water. I've given up cold water diving for the time being.

Ideally it would be some tiny island with a little resort that only has room for 10-15 guests and accesses dive sites that nobody else accesses. I have no idea if this place exists though and haven't been able to find one through searching. Think Lady Elliot Island but more remote and smaller resort.

Nothing in the Caribbean as I've dove pretty much all the islands and atolls/cayes, from top to bottom, while staying on a sailboat w/compressor.

Anyone have any suggestions that are even in that ballpark?

Thanks!

Yup. Nosy Be Madagascar - unfortunately late January is cyclone season (was there this time last year) so many of the hotels and dive shops "go on holiday" - if you wanted to look further into this amazing place (this is where we all should be still sailing - mitsio archipeligo diving is available later in the year and as remote as you could desire. You are also within reach of Mayotte in the Comoros although last year when I tried to bum a lift on a yacht they were willing but the Mozambique Eddy was flowing so could take 5 hours, could take 5 days) I have a couple of contacts who can make not possible things possible.

Takes 2 days to get there from US.

Other ideas - Christmas and Cocos islands far north of Western Australia.

Not the best diving, not the worst, but little island off Sumatra has an OW honeymoon bungalow - Cubadak

Of course - French Polynesia - Rangiroa and Fakarava - diving there will make you smile.

Have a look at Qamea or Matangi that are both little islands just north of Taveuni in northern fiji.Both have quite a few american honeymooners. I have been to Qamea twice and it is just beautiful with good diving and snorkelling.

I'm looking for a good dive location for my honeymoon in late January. I've read through tons of posts and nothing really jumped out at me, so thought I'd ask in my own thread. I'm looking for something a bit more unique than the typical places such as Palau or (fill in the blank amazing dive location). By unique, I mean less traveled and more remote but not crazy difficult to get to. Although spending two days getting there would not be a deal breaker. Also, only warm water. I've given up cold water diving for the time being...Nothing in the Caribbean as I've dove pretty much all the islands and atolls/cayes, from top to bottom, while staying on a sailboat w/compressor. Anyone have any suggestions that are even in that ballpark? Thanks!

I know that you are not interested in the Caribbean but when you said "off the beaten path", "unique", and "honeymoon" I thought of Le Soleil D'Or on Cayman Brac. It is a small, private, pricey destination but it would be cheap and easy to get there so it might be a good trade off to spend more on the high-end accommodations.

They have a 20-acre organic farm and provide farm-to-table gourmet meals. They offer a spa and a boutique hotel as well as private cottages and a beautiful beach. I have never stayed there but have read excellent reviews.

Cayman is a first world country but Brac is a small, quiet island that is off the beaten path. There are only 2 dive ops on the island, Reef Divers is at a busy resort so that wouldn't work for you, but Brac Scuba Shack is a smaller operation that might meet your needs. You could also rent tanks from either op and enjoy the shore diving options. I imagine that Le Soleil D'Or can make arrangements to offer diving experiences for guests.

Just a thought, see the link below, and congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Cayman Island Resort | Le Soleil d'Or | Cayman Island Vacation

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies! What great suggestions! I'm going to have a look at them all today.

Wingy - Nosy Be looks amazing! Too bad it will be cyclone season. We had been planning a dream Africa trip and that might be perfect to work a week in there first during the dry season in September. Apparently its best to visit Africa when the watering holes are smaller so the animals are more concentrated in certain areas.

Nosy Be and her islands are awesome - I went in Cyclone season because Im an Australian and we're cool with cyclones however there was several bonuses - Lemurs are really active at that time of the year and the best of all - no tourists!! I guess its the same with most destinations the ''best'' time isnt always the ''bestest'' time for you personally. I like lemurs more than people so that was a bonus - probably the biggest bonus being myself and my dive buddy were the only two tourists so we had the two resorts (north and south) totally to ourselves. All weather sources we checked after leaving Mauritius before hitting Reunion Island (theres a honeymoon destination for you - insanely pretty island) showed the entire months of January and February blacked out with thunderclouds so the few other tourists who were booked at our resorts cancelled and went elsewhere. We had One absolutely epic thunderstorm in two weeks. The other bonus is around 6K less in airfares during cyclone season.

Hôtel 3* à Nosy Be, Anjiamarango Beach Resort, 40 bungalows individuels en bord de mer avec 500m. de plage

They even wash your feet here :)

I would schedule two weeks in Madagascar if you are going to tack on to an African Safari - say one around Nosy Be and her islands - check out Nosy Sakatia diving too - Madagascar Accommodation | Sakatia Lodge | Madagascar Lodge

Then perhaps pop around to the other side for whales, pirate graves and slave trade history at Isle St. Marie - where you can have "Bungalow on stilts" aka Overwater Bungalow aka "Expensive hut on sticks"

Lakana Hôtel - Sainte Marie Madagascar

Whatever you choose - all the best for your honeymoon :)

I'm just back from a dive trip to Moheli in the Comoros Islands and it was very off the beaten path.
Moheli is the smallest of the three Comoros Islands and only gets about 400-500 tourists a year, only a small percentage of whom are divers.
You can dive Moheli Marine Park from Laka Lodge Hotel in the south and you are virtually guaranteed to be the only divers there. Groups are small (there's only one small boat) and although diving is possible year-round, instruction and try-dives are not so that can be a plus-point for some ;-).
Diving conditions are apparently best in September; we were there in January so didn't get to see any sharks (apart from one small nurse shark) but saw rays, barracudas and turtles.
Humpback whales visit from June to October.
I've blogged about the trip here: Smart Travels: Moheli diving

Here's what the OP decided and just posted, a year later...

From Singapore....I'm flying to Sorong next week for a trip to Misool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom