Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex6

Reaction score
I was just wandering if I could use tow octopus insted of useing a plain old reg and an octopus. If I could use two Dacor Viper Octopus.

Primary 2nd stages "plain old" are tuned to breathe slightly better than an OCtopus....or put another way.....octopi are slightly de-tuned to prevent free-flowing underwater while not being used.

Not knowing the specifics of the Dacor you are talking about, there may be other differences....for examples, many octos don't have adjustment knobs normally found on a primary.

Hope that helps.

Otter

I think he's asking to use an octo as a primary, or in other words, have two octos on his 1st stage instead of a primary 2nd and oct.

I have a Dacor Viper Octo that gets used on a deco bottle. It does not breathe hard at all but I can't give a comparison of how it performs relative to a regular Viper. Don't quote me on it, but I think the Viper has a flow vane inside that is absent from the Viper Octo. The deletion of this vane prevents the Viper Octo from continuing a free flow.

There is no mechanical reason you could not use two octo's - it's just an issue of whether you would be giving up something in terms of ease of breathing. An easy breathing regulator does wonders for air consumption and I would not skimp on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom