Octopus torture?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are a visitor in their territory. I'm a firm believer that you should not bother the wildlife in their natural environment, period! If they are curious and come to take a closer look then by all means, let them take a look, but don't grab, pull, or harass the wildlife. That's sickening.

One of my most memorable dives to date was last November when I had an octopus follow me around for around 20 minutes. Everybody else went off to do their own thing and didn't even seem to notice the octopus. I loved every second of it.

i have a you dont bug me i dont bug you when it comes to animals think of it this way.. if he wanted to kill you all he has to do is steal your reg.. then what you going to do with no air... if it can bite me or even has a chance of sting i wont touch it.. simple because i know you bug an animal and back it into a conrner its going to get you or fight.. just like animals on land for example an elk.. guy walks up to it stands between the baby and the mother and you bet he had to run for his life while i sat there stood still and the elk walked right up to me and had no problems with me standing by the baby.. was really funny when you think of it let the animals approch you not the other way around most animals want to know who you are and will come to you if you dont threaten them then its ok to pet them or give a deer an apple for exmpale they cant reach the ones on the top and they are too big to eat so i cut one and hand it to them and when i go back they see me and come runing..

Harassing wildlife should not be tolerated by any diver. The only exception to this would be the harvesting of wildlife in a legal manner (such as catching lobster where it is permitted to use dive equipment). If there is no reason other than your safety or the legal harvesting of wildlife, leave it alone. Additionally, if you're curious about the animal, chances are it's curious about you too.

On my first dive ever--a "resort dive" off Playa del Carmen where it was only the DM, a videographer, and me--we encountered an octopus secluded in a shallow crevice. The DM motioned me closer, put his hand near the opening, and the octopus gingerly reached out and explored his hand. The DM invited me to do the same. Okay, I was as raw as they come, and I did it. The little cephalopod touched me a few times in the same way, but I can't say I was truly comfortable with the interaction. Oh, I wasn't timid about the animal...I'm a biologist and have had considerable experience with wildlife. I just didn't feel right about intruding and possibly stressing that particular animal, and I backed away. Since then, I've become much more knowlegeable, especially since becoming involved with a National Marine Sanctuary. I never cease to be amazed at how people will push the limits with their interactions with marine life.

Seems to be a cultural thing in Maui. (Grateful Diver)

One of our DMs in Maui used a metal rod to get an octopus out of hiding. He brought the rod with him so I assumed this was a common practice. What I've started doing in this situation is just swim away and then not tip if necessary. I usually have a camera with me and it seems DMs are always harassing stuff just to earn a tip because they think I'll want to take a picture of it.

Must be a common practice to molest marine life in the Hawaien Islands. I was taking my AOW on Oahu and on one dive to my shock and horror the instructor sees a moray eel in a crevice, finds a long rod laying on the bottom, picks it up and starts RAMMING it into the hole. I could not believe my eyes.

I am also a firm believer in "NOT" touching the animals. They don't come poking around at us. Well, the sea lions do but that's different, none of the other animals do. I'ld bet that many would stop diving if they did.

Horrible!!

I would quickly signal the bad-behaved DM or diver to stop. I would not interact with a frightened animal though. Buddy and I would likely keep a good distance from the group.

They're in for a lenghty lecture at the surface, complete with the whole set of french canadian curse words :(

While diving in Cozumel, I carried a video camera. Evidently, one of our boatmates (total stranger) felt an intense need to be a "movie star" and tagged along whereever my buddy and I went. I don't know where HIS buddy was. He seemed to take it upon himself to "scout" for photo ops for us and pointed out a nurse shark resting under a small ledge. I gingerly moved in to get a video clip and was just getting into position when the shark jumped and repositioned, obviously annoyed. I was taken aback because I wasn't close at all, then I saw what had the shark agitated. Our "friend" was yanking its tail! I moved back immediately and looked for another photo op. Later, the fellow pointed out a turtle serenely munching on a coral head with four big french angelfish swarming around it in hopes of getting some crumbs. Again, I maneuvered into an unobtrusive overhead position with my camera. The movie star wannabe moved into the picture, ran his hand up the turtle's back and even pushed on it to make it move off its meal! Again, I turned away and moved off. Later, on the boat, the guy asked me "Where did you go? I was fixin' to ride that big fellow and give you a real show!"
I replied that if I had filmed something like that I would have felt compelled to share it with the authorities. I explained that I'm a volunteer for a U.S. National Marine Sanctuary and we have close ties with the Mexican sanctuaries in Coz as well. Observing marine life is one thing. Meddling is quite another.

You are not wrong at all to feel that way. I am not opposed to touching a creature (to feel the texture of their skin) but holding or preventing the creature from a normal escape is clearly wrong. I must say that the only place I have seen DMs deliberately capture and hold an octopus on occasion is in Hawaii. All other destinations where octopus are present, people have been respectful. I doubt it is a 'cultural thing' as another has mentioned, but it is something geared toward newer divers. It seems to be the DM's way to impress the guests. I'm not impressed in seeing any creature improperly handled. Don't get me wrong, I love looking at the creatures. I like taking a few pictures of creatures, but am very careful with nocturnal creatures as they are generally more sensitive to light/strobes.

i would be sad, as there is no respect for wildlife. But on the other hand, But if you read some books about the large fishing boats with miles of nets, just taking everything including dolphins, birds and turtles and drop the dead useless things back in the ocean, than a DM can kill whatever he finds from his 16-100 birthday everyday and it still not the amount that boat destroys in 1 day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom